Truefire Anyone?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Le Jab, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Le Jab

Le Jab Tele-Meister

Looks good, and I want to sign up. However the site shows $99 for 1 year total access, but doesn't allow you to sign up for it. Instead it wants to give you a 14 day free trial and deduct $10 deposit.

I know the learning material looks good, but has anyone experience of these guys they could share? Are they cash scammers?

johmica, hnryclay and StevesBoogie like this.
  2. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

I looked at that one and few others. I feel like you can get most of the info from you tube or just doing google searches.
    Just my 2 cents.....

3. Aldus Bunbury

Aldus Bunbury TDPRI Member

I haven’t signed up for the total-access package, but I have bought four of the individual courses. Every one has been well worth the money. In my limited experience, the Shane Theriot course (30 Mojo Rhythms) on playing and developing rhythm parts is especially outstanding.

It’s fun to browse and sample the broad range of teachers, styles, and genres. However, for myself, I improve faster when I find a specific musical interest and take a deeper and more focused approach. As a result, the TrueFire courses have been good for me.

I don’t know if that gives you the information you were looking for, but I hope it helps.

LiteAsh likes this.
  4. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

It's the greatest online guitar experience I have ever had. I don't do the full access and just pick and choose.

They had a data breach last summer I believe, along with hundreds of other companies.

They are absolutely not a cash scammer. 100% legit. I am not sure why it just doesn't allow you immediate enrollment instead of the trial period, but it sounds like a good situation regardless.

The breadth of talent, information, and instruction on TrueFire is amazing. Customer for life.

Matt G, SRHmusic, johmica and 7 others like this.
  5. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Very legit. I use it quite often.

6. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Afflicted

I signed up for full access last year at $99 and could not be happier. Tons of lessons and jams from very talented teachers/performers, many have been my guitar idols for years. I highly recommend it.
    You tube has lessons but I never got as much out of it. Too easy to skip around and wander. Truefire will get my business for a long time.

SRHmusic, matrix and hnryclay like this.
  7. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

It's great until you want to end your subscription. At this point they continue to bill you yearly, then you get to enjoy their whole customer service program. Hit or miss on how fast they respond and when you get refunded. I personally am not a fan and do not recommend.

8. tomasz

tomasz Tele-Meister

I signed up this year, to keep myself motivated to practice. I did it after browsing for yet another overdrive online. It won with the JHS Angry Charlie :D

I find some lessons to be too short, or videos to load forever sometimes, but other than that, happy with my choice so far, as it keeps me improving, no matter what gear I play.

matrix and hnryclay like this.
  9. tomasz

tomasz Tele-Meister

You should be able to cancel the recurring bill, that is what I did right after signing up.

hnryclay likes this.
  10. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

That is exactly right, however for some reason, their automation has a glitch and this is the second year I have had to go through the grinder to get my money back. Don't like the hassle.

tomasz likes this.
  11. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

Draw up a lesson/practice plan, or search for one on the Internet and then use the free resources available.
    The only thing Truefire does is organize things into a system for you, a system that may or may not work for you.

12. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

I signed up a couple of months back and my friend did recently too. We're both really enjoying it and learning lots.

You can learn lots from YouTube and/or books too but I liked the combination of the following features:
    • Multi angle videos
    • Music and tab notation that shows you what is being played
    • The ability to slow down the lesson
    • The ability to loop the exercises
    • A vast repository of lessons in different styles for different abilities
    • The ability to track progress through courses
    • Learning paths for various styles which combines multiple courses
    There's probably other features that I haven't used yet. It's really not very much money too. I've found it much more rewarding and useful than buying another guitar pedal!

13. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

I have purchased maybe 6 individual courses from them at this point. The Bill Kirchen lesson was what got me started! I have found all of them to be high quality, well organized, great content, and totally worth they money. Not a scam at all.

This is just my opinion on these types of courses, but when I spend $20 on one, I don't expect every single aspect of it to apply to me or be useful. Almost always there are some things that don't suit my style or I am not good enough to play or I just don't like a particular lick, etc. But if I can learn one (literally just one) thing and apply it, get motivated to spend several hours on it, etc., then I've gotten my $20 worth.

Just FYI, and it has been awhile so this may well have changed, but when you purchase an individual course they also give you "all access" to the other courses for 30 days (or 14 days or whatever).

matrix, hnryclay and teletail like this.
  14. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

Well worth it. Much better than trying to sift through random Youtube videos, many which are time wasters.

Matt G, thebowl, KATT and 4 others like this.
  15. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

All access for a month or so here, big fan. I have an option to simply stop the rebill in my account profile, seems unlikely they'd continue to rebill me after the fact.

upload_2021-8-4_9-33-45.png

Attached Files:

16. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

All Access member as well, you can get a lot of information on a lot of genres. Reputable teachers, all levels. Every course I have completed has been enjoyable. Also you can download the charts and some courses also have sizeable written marerial as well. Worth the money for me.

matrix likes this.
  17. NC E30

NC E30 Tele-Meister

It's legit, but I'm still trying to figure out an intermediate plan to follow

matrix likes this.
  18. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

This is inaccurate. The majority of content available on TrueFire isn't organized into any of their "learning tracks," and those don't represent the true value of the platform in my opinion.

TrueFire is (to me) organized for at least intermediate players who have areas in which they want to improve. It's essentially a massive collection of highly niche "mini courses," like these... when I search "Western Swing." Each course is a bit different, but most I've opened up are about ~30 videos of about ~90 minutes total (the 'licks' one below is 52 vids for 158mins).

upload_2021-8-4_9-41-37.png

If you search "jazz..." a bit bigger hit (11 more rows of this not screencapped), so you can imagine what it looks like for "rock," or "blues."

upload_2021-8-4_9-45-19.png

19. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Holic

Here's a code I used to get All-Access for $99/year: AAVIP99

It's not a scam, as others have said. Of all the courses and services I've signed up for over the last year, TF will definitely remain for many years to come.

johmica likes this.
  20. Le Jab

Le Jab Tele-Meister

Well too late now, as since we’ve been discussing the $99 1 yr all access has gone - now $249
    I knew when I couldn’t subscribe this morning something wasn’t right.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.