1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

True Temperament Echo MK II Tele Inspired Guitar Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Manton, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Manton

Manton TDPRI Member

Here’s a project I have been working on over the last few months, the guitar is now basically finished having just gone through lacquering so just needs some time to cure and assembling. This is not my first True Temperament guitar and the project came about as I managed to get a good deal on a pre made True Temperament neck, so all I have to do is build a body for it! I decided on my Echo MK II shape which is very much Tele inspired and it’s going to be red to contrast the Maple fingerboard nicely.

Basic Specs:
    Maple Fingerboard True Temperament Neck
    One Piece English Ash Body
    Translucent Blood Red Finish With Contrasting Black Grain Fill
    Gotoh Black Hardware
    Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound Pickup Set
    CTS Pots
    Dunlop Straplocks

Here’s one I built earlier….The end product will look similar to this as far as the body goes except without the strat pickup at the neck.

[​IMG]

The starting point: the True Temperament neck.

[​IMG]

A close up of the wiggly frets. Now let’s get to work!

[​IMG]

Here I have made a template from Ply to fit the neck nice and tightly. Those two tiny holes came with the neck and is where they attached a spray handle.

[​IMG]

This is the body template…please ignore the hideous handwriting!
    [​IMG]

I forgot to get a picture of the body blank before cutting out, but here it is after the template has been used to cut out the body. As you can see it’s a really beautiful piece of wood, this is 1 piece English Ash.

[​IMG]

Now I use the template made earlier to cut the neck pocket, here’s the result.

[​IMG]

Test fitting.

[​IMG]

Thanks for watching :) More coming soon.

2. Manton

Manton TDPRI Member

Onto neck attachment! I don’t particularly like neck plates so I usually use ferrules, here I have just drilled and recessed them with a Forstner bit.

[​IMG]

Next I mount the bridge in the appropriate location attaching it with two screws to be used later when routing for the bridge pickup.
    [​IMG]

Bridge pickup template attached using the screws mentioned above.

[​IMG]

All routs completed

[​IMG]

Just for fun a mockup with hardware!

[​IMG]

3. TulsaMike

TulsaMike TDPRI Member

Cool project, I like your modified tele shape!

4. mojoatomic

mojoatomic Tele-Holic

Lookin'n great!

5. Manton

Manton TDPRI Member

Thanks both! :)

6. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Looking good!

7. Manton

Manton TDPRI Member

Thank you :)

Here I have completed the sanding and cut the roundover, then attached a spray handle.
    [​IMG]

An edge shot, showing the roundover and the thickness of the body. I prefer my bodies a little thinner as you can see in this picture.
    [​IMG]

Then a sealer coat of Shellac is sprayed and the grain filler applied. This really brings out and highlights the grain creating a stunning finish once the colour coats have been sprayed.
    [​IMG]
    The back after grain filling.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking

8. Manton

Manton TDPRI Member

As nice as it looked natural, it’s not what we are going for on this build so now I’m spraying the colour coats. This picture really doesn’t do the colour justice as it proved quite difficult to photograph! It’s more of a blood red in person as you’ll hopefully be able to see later.

[​IMG]

Here several coats of clear have been sprayed and our decal applied, usually the decal would be reserved for the headstock, but this one has the True Temperament logo up there. So I needed somewhere else to display it and think it fits nicely here, the contrast of the red and white looking reminiscent of a sports car!

[​IMG]

Now the guitar was given plenty of time to cure before wet sanding and buffing which has taken place here and we have a lovely gloss!

[​IMG]

A shot of the back.

[​IMG]

I’ll get the finished pictures up shortly once I’ve taken some proper photos! Thanks for watching.

9. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

The decal looks great just there! I can see myself dispensing with the standard practice of headstock decal in favour of a body decal just there, on some as yet undecided build in the future.

(In other words, I'm going to copy you!)

10. RockRabbit

RockRabbit Tele-Meister

+1

Oh yeah, thinking that idea might come in useful one day. Great job!

Cheers,
    Joe

11. Manton

Manton TDPRI Member

Ha! Glad you like both like it. Copy away, I'm sure it's been done before I did it anyway! And thank you :)

12. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

I would love a full report on the TT neck. Ive lusted for years.

They told me they would use a USA Custom Guitars neck with no fret slots if I sent it to them.

13. nofrets

nofrets Tele-Meister

Ditto on the label location, and on the curiosity about the TT neck, and on the body shape, and on the build in general!

Patrick

14. Manton

Manton TDPRI Member

Yes, they will do custom work also, I built a True Temperament 8 string earlier in the year which was fretted over in Sweden by them (there is a Texas branch too, which is probably who you spoke to). You can also buy the loose frets with CNC cut board and do the work yourself, which is something I will definitely be doing at some point in the future!

It's not a very in depth report but I can tell you from trying it out on the 8 string that the system is fantastic in my opinion! Every note is perfectly in tune and playing chromatically up the neck sounds just like a piano and very different from a regular guitar. Sustain is also amazing due to the notes being so perfectly in tune. It is pricey, but if you need that kind of intonation, I can see the price being justified as there is nothing else quite like it.

Thank you Patrick :). This ones assembled now and is just waiting for a setup and pics, so they will hopefully be up soon enough.

15. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

That looks fantastic!!!

16. Manton

Manton TDPRI Member

Thank you :)

17. Manton

Manton TDPRI Member

Finished! Thank you all for watching, more builds coming very soon and undoubtedly more True Temperament builds in the not so distant future.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. mudimba

mudimba Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Great job, I'm really impressed!

Out of curiosity, can you still bend notes with one of those necks, or do the fret shapes make the bend sound weird?

19. Manton

Manton TDPRI Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.