True Oil over Nitro on Road Worn Neck

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by mrbdxmpl, Apr 1, 2020.

1. mrbdxmpl

mrbdxmpl Tele-Meister

Hello all - using the opportunity of "working at home" to get started on some projects that have been sitting around a while. I picked up this Road Worn neck here on the classifieds - I'm not sure if the previous owner took the finish down even further, but it seems to have more extensive wear on the back than others I have seen, and feels like it is pretty much bare wood.

I have zero experience with wood finishes, but I do have a bottle of True Oil and some old t-shirts - can I apply a few thin coats to the back and bring it up somewhere closer to the "finished" sections of the back of the neck? Or will this just make a mess of things as it interacts with the nitro? I am concerned that the bare wood area will end up greasy and dirty and funky.

When this gets finished, I've got a set of Onamac McCawber pups - so the finished project will be something like Malcolm, although more of a wink and a nod than a proper copy.

Thanks in advance for the advice from all the pros here!
    Toby neck 1.jpg neck 2.jpg

2. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

You mustn‘t use Truoil over (pre-) lacquered surfaces, it‘s simply wrong since Truoil is a varnish. You can slightly oil the sanded areas with boiled linseed oil.

3. mrbdxmpl

mrbdxmpl Tele-Meister

wrong morally? philosophically? or because it will interact badly with the nitro finish?

4. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

looks like its been sanded to me. quite a few options here, from leave it as is to a complete refinish. the first question is probably, what do you want it to look like or do you care about that. I'm a function first guy, but would make some concessions to looks by blending the sanded part a little better. then I might try a little oil to see if the blending can be improved, then clear coat it. linseed is pretty good, you can let it sit a while and rub it in, but rub it dry

5. mrbdxmpl

mrbdxmpl Tele-Meister

Thanks - I'm not up for a complete refinish, as I lack the skills, time, and shop space...
    I like how the areas of the original finish look and feel - and I thought the Tru Oil might add a little color and gloss back to the sanded area. I've seen posts that say Tru Oil over nitro is no problem and others that say it will cause a global pandemic. My thought was to try to try a few thin coats and carefully blend the seam with the nitro and see what happens, but I don't want to have to buy a new neck if things take a turn for the worse....

6. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

I've been putting tru oil over a tele headstock I painted with lacquer. I've been doing a coat or two for the last couple days. It seems to be working.

mrbdxmpl likes this.
  7. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

Here is a picture of the guitar, it's a pine body I bought a few years ago not realizing it wasn't full thickness. I'm slapping this together out of cheaper parts I have laying around. GFS rail pickups. This is the first time I have put tru oil over paint. Like I said, it seems to be working but I will know more after a few more days and few more coats. IMG_5390.JPG

8. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

IMO, you'll need many coats of TO to get any discernible tint. Then, I don't think it'll match.

I'd just leave it be honestly. I prefer the bare wood feel/look & from your image it's hardly noticeable.

If you're concerned with the color I'd just take some mild dye solution & color it a little at a time. Sneak up on the color rather than too much at once. Even then, they might not age the same. You could hit it lightly with a Mohawk or another brand of lacquer after.

9. mrbdxmpl

mrbdxmpl Tele-Meister

As noted, I like the tint/feel of the finished sections better, but my concern is the bare wood getting nasty...I may try a few coats and see what happens...wtf, I don't have anything else to do at the moment!

10. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Why not just spray it with lacquer then?

You say yourself you like the feel of lacquer.
    You might not like the feel of TO. To get the color you want you're gonna have to put on multiple layers, which gives it a "feeling".

Once you put TO on it's on.

11. mrbdxmpl

mrbdxmpl Tele-Meister

Because I live in an apartment & can't get anywhere near the spray booth at work at the moment...I was thinking this was something I could tackle at the kitchen table....

12. jamester

jamester Tele-Holic

Just found this thread, as I am about to do this to my RW!

OP, did you give it a try?

One thing is, RW's don't have nitro necks, only bodies. The necks are poly, and even though they feel like raw wood I am sure there is a satin finish on it to protect it. I am going to lightly sand it down and then Tru-oil. I have used Tru-oil before and love it, great feel and it really develops a nice patina over time. I compared the oiled neck to the RW neck, and the yellowish color looks like it will go nicely with the finished parts of the RW neck.

I prefer the tactile feel of Tru-oil over the raw wood/satin feel, personally..

13. jhiatt1

jhiatt1 TDPRI Member

Personally I like Tung oil. Put 4 coats on my recent project. I like the way it turned out.
    It is on the neck headstock and body, however I did sand it a little to remove some of the sheen for an aged look.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.