1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

True Detective Season 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stealyerface, Jun 22, 2015.

1. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I guess the shoot out might have soured the whole damn thing for me. Ridiculous from start to finish. I can suspend disbelief to a point, but really. First, they park several blocks away and parade in full view down several streets, then they aren't equipped with anything more than .40 cal semi pistols, then, even after the shtf they continue on as if they have a freakin' snowballs chance in hell against an army of full auto.

Really enjoyed things up to that point.

2. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I was able to suspend disbelief...... I enjoyed it.

3. Guitharley

Guitharley Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Best line of the night,
    Daddy Bezzerides:"You must have had hundreds of lives.”
    Velcoro : “I don’t know if I can handle another one.”[/QUOTE]

Best line for me was "all the rest is just dust in your eyes, blink it away"

4. walleyeman

walleyeman Tele-Holic

I though he said "you must have had hundreds of wives"

What you stated makes more sense.

5. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Yea, me too, and I'm not even into shoot em up type action scenes, I prefer a good story and dialogue...but this show needed something to happen...for me at least.

I'll at least keep watching now that that went down (I was about to throw in the towel)...but either way True Detective is playing second fiddle now that Ray Donovan is back.

6. Colo Springs E

I have caught a good bit of Ray Donovan, need to go back to the beginning and watch it in order. I really like that show.

7. Badger06

Badger06 Tele-Meister

Shoot out was definitely a tip-off. Was it just me or did anyone else half expect one of the guys to shoot the unarmed female cop in the aftermath of the gun fight? They were all stood around looking at each other for an awkward moment - I was just waiting for someone to do the mayor a favor and for a big cover up to ensue!

8. Zillinois

Zillinois Friend of Leo's

The shootout is part of some larger setup for our 3 detectives, who (mentioned in passing) were all "disposable" to their departments, and they know it. The shootout is the worst possible thing that can happen to their careers and will put them all over the news (in LA) making their investigation impossible (as sneek peaked in next weeks trailer). It doesn't resolve the Casper murder at all, since when does a pawned watch end up in a huge gun battle where dozens die? remember though, it's "pulp", at the end of this season, everything will probably NOT fall into place.

9. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i finally got to see the 1st four episodes last night. the title of the show should be changed to "meditations on disfunction". if HBO really wants to throw a surprising curve next season, they will portray some police with emotionally healthy families, no divorce, no alcoholism. that would be shocking.

was the shoot-out believable? I don't know if I've ever seen one in a movie or tv show that was believable. they sure did make a bloody mess.

it was ok. I did not see anything that spoke "greatness" about it, but I'm willing to see where it goes.

10. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

Whoa baby!...

Things might be getting a tad contentious between Frank and Velcoro.

Nice last scene...

~syf

11. Zillinois

Zillinois Friend of Leo's

Three episodes left.

12. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Just joining this thread.

I did notice the Maltese Falcon-- I figured it was just a hip little salute to one of the classic Bogart noir detective movies.

Having the city manager also be a weird, kinky dude allows there to be multiple theories on why he was killed. What it something related to his extracurricular activities, or was it related to his job and job corruption/land deals. Or both?

Having the three cops be representing three different entities all with different agendas, and all of them being pawns, is interesting. Velcoro is supposed to protect Vinci but also works for the Vince Vaughn gangster on the side. Rachel McAdams is the straight up L.A. county investigator but she obviously has personal demons relating to growing up with hippie parents on a commune. The state trooper has jurisdiction but the state is really interested in using the case to get at Vinci systemic corruption. The gangster Vaughn has Velcoro in his pocket because he helped and/or knows how Velcoro killed his wife's rapist. I think the scarred woman in the bar was involved in that episode, maybe was raped by the same guy, and has lots of sympathy and gratitude to Velcoro as a result.

I don't think the motorcycle cop was dating the missing woman-- that's just a case of similar appearance in my opinion.

The shootout was over the top but I can see cops staying in the firefight in the heat of the moment rather than running away. The motorcycle cop was obviously in his element, feeling the most comfortable ever since leaving Afghanistan.

All three of the cops are pawns, fall guys, and all three are set up to be at odds. All three have issues. My biggest beef is with having the motorcycle cop be all conflicted about his sexuality. I guess it happens still, especially to macho or religious types, but really, in this day and age in southern California you would think that with a little counseling he would just accept that he is gay and give himself a break.

Hopefully after this big shootout they will have bonded as a result of going through a trial by fire together. If they work together in the interest of solving the case and saving themselves despite the desires of their overlords, that would be a nice direction. The little guys find a way to pull through despite all the forces working against them. I suspect in the interest of being more "noir" they will keep having all three continue to be conflicted and acting at cross-purposes both within themselves and with each other.

Another possible angle is that Rachel is being encouraged to flirt with Velcoro in order to find out more information. So she does that, but then she falls in love "for real". And then Velcoro finds out and so there is a romantic conflict to add to the mix of conflicts.

This is definitely trying to be a modern noir story. I really enjoyed the first season of the show, "Bosch", and feel that it is a much better done show. Harry Bosch has his demons but he is in the real world, not the fifth circle of Hell, and most of the people around him are normal people-- except for the bad guys. Far more realistic. This is sacrificing plot and story with the goal of maximizing the noir atmosphere-- to a fault, in my opinion.

The City of Vinci also borrows from the true life story of the city of Bell-- a kleptocracy that was set up so the city brass could suck the city dry. The air head city clerk was taken straight out of Bell-- the real city clerk of Bell's defense was that it was her job to sign everything and she had no clue as to what she was signing. Sometimes you can go to jail for being stupid, it turns out.

Cherchez la femme. I don't think Vaughn's wife is at the root of what has occurred, but she may know some things that she isn't telling, to try and protect her husband or her relationship with him. As he goes more and more rogue she may get disgusted with him and start looking for an exit strategy.

13. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I like the show. For me, the shoot out was completely believable.

I also found last season believable....

14. Colo Springs E

Last year's True Detective was probably my single favorite season of any series ever.

15. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Why am I right all the time!?

16. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Actually, Pizzolatto has said that the town is based on Vernon, Calif. Here's a piece that examines it. Some weird reality there.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/lets-explore-the-corrupt-town-that-inspired-true-detect-1715997419

17. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

This is getting really good. The groundwork established early in teh season is paying off and motivations and stakes are becoming solidified. This is really excellent. I am really rooting for the characters, which is going to be interesting since some people have some explaining to do!

18. tele salivas

They don't call it confusion for nothing. His home environemnt and mother, his chosen career paths, his experience in chosen career paths, all provided quite a bit of direction in about the most adverse of conditions for the opposite of empathetic or positive guidance.
    The most positive and understanding friend, the guy he slept with near that Afghan village, those memories are also associated with the alleged war crimes he is being braced for by the press. Not a great way to remember a loving embrace.

19. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I totally agree.

It's odd, I have coworker who is very disappointed in this season. Way too slow and not enough action form him. We both followed season one and he loved it.

I've enjoyed the set up and we are starting to get the payoff.

20. tele salivas

Nic Pizzolatto took his time with this one, the details are working and are not little trinkets or red herrings, they are important and to be weighed with equal measure, just as a detective would (in tv-suspended belief land) .

I think a lot of the early criticisms of this season are going to seem trivial compared to the payoff. I like the first season quite a bit, actually one of my favorite shows to watch in a long time, but I think this one is going to stand taller for me in the long run, as far as re-watching things, which I love to do.

I tried watching season 1 again, and I enjoyed many parts ( like the tent revival dialogue and the time they were creeping up on the meth lab in the middle of nowhere finding the trailer load of kids, whacking those fools, one blowing up on his own booby trap, for example) but I fast forwarded through many things and figured "a couple more years and I'll be ready to do it again".With this, I am already re-watching each episode. Just my personal experience.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.