1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

True Detective Season 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stealyerface, Jun 22, 2015.

1. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Definitely picked up more details hearing it proper. My wife does not like CC so I did without and it was a bit frustrating. Not like getting stabbed in the middle of the desert holding 3.5 mil in diamonds and no way to get right, but still, frustrating.

2. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah that had to suck when the guy asked for his suit. Not sure how likely it was he could've gotten out of the desert anyway (have no idea how far he was out there), but that pretty much sealed his fate.

I connected to Frank and Ray; I hated seeing each of them go. :(

3. tele salivas

yeah, by the end we were really rooting for them.

4. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

So, what did happen to Frank's 5 million?

5. tele salivas

Diamonds in his jacket out in the desert- $3-3.5 million
    Donation to Mexicans,suitcase in desert-$1 million
    Money to Armenians (who probably sold him out to Mexicans)-about $750K ?
    $100k to Jordan and Nails for travel/getting through expenses

6. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

I tend to agree with the critic who wrote that TD was the best worst show on television.
    It was unnecessarily complicated. The writing was kind of stilted. When the whole thing finally came together, sort of, maybe, it seemed kind of contrived.
    But it was decent pulp TV and as a fan of pulp, I enjoyed it, while seeing its flaws.
    Previously, someone mentioned Ross McDonald, who was great. If you dig his stuff, check out some Jim Thompson. I'd start with Pop. 1280, a kind of Mayberry story had Andy been a sociopath.

7. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I mostly watched the show without picking it a parts as I viewed. However, when the guy asked for Frank's suit I thought "dude is 6'5", what are you going to do with his suit?"

I settled on it being one more insult before leaving him in the desert.:neutral:

8. Colo Springs E

Agreed, it may have simply been a move to strip him down before they left, so he'd burn to death in the desert sun.

9. Bob Mc

Bob Mc Friend of Leo's

For a few moments I was hoping the story would continue with them on the run in Venezuela, but now I feel a bit relived its over. I admit to much frustration and outright confusion most episodes.

Colin Farrell's "Slingblade" voice is now silent forever!

10. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah me too. I kind of enjoyed the series overall,but the indistinct mumblings left me feeling uninvolved at times and made,what wasn't particularly a complex plot,more puzzling/frustrating than it ought to have been. There are only a limited amount of times I'll wind back to re-listen,it spoils the flow entirely.

My favourite line was Frank's missus when she said to him,"you can't act for sh1t". I thought with all his weird facial expressions he made a poor job of a great character.

11. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

I think it was intention to make Vaughn seem wooden early on, when he masquerading as a legitimate businessman, that he was acting and doing a poor job of it.
    Still, Vaughn's performance never really picked up. I think the writer and director erred in not infusing his character with some dark humor. There were snippets, such as when he said the thing about one for the bucket list, a Mexican standoff with actual Mexicans.
    But other than that, his lines seemed overwrought and stilted.

12. Missipimud

Missipimud Tele-Meister

Not to be nit picky, and I'm not a Californian, and I agree with you totally, but I thought those were Giant Sequoias.

13. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

I also had trouble understanding and following the story at times. I thought it was ok. I did like Frank in the desert though, good scene.

I enjoy a show that makes you think and is somewhat challenging, as far as developing characters/dialogue and having layers etc...but to me this show seemed to try too hard to be complex and mysterious.

14. Colo Springs E

I have to agree with you on this.

15. tele salivas

You could definitely be correct. I couldn't be able to tell you the difference. One thing I do know for sure is that I would like to see one of them trees, either of them up close. Are Sequoias the really old ones? That would make sense, given that according to Papa Bezzerides (sic) Ray was an old soul, and had lived hundreds of lives. He looked up at the canopy almost in recognition right before he went all commando at the end there. I figured it was because of what his avatar dad said in the dream vision, about the giant trees and the men shooting him all to pieces, but maybe it was a "past life" thing there, too. Like he'd seen these before at a different time. Huh. Sequoias totally fit there for Ray to die among. It's gotta be sequoias. Good call!

16. tele salivas

"EP 8-Omega Station" scene showed Anaheim Regional Transportation Intermodal Center.
    I'm not an LA boy, but this is not coincidence is it? In the literature for the hub, it is portrayed by the design group (http://ap.hok.com/ ) as a "catalyst for transforming Anaheim’s core into a pedestrian-friendly zone that promotes connectivity". That connectivity also poises the station as the "southern terminex" for a future California light rail system.

17. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

great last episode. I liked it.

I think if there is a difference in the two seasons... it is just the talent difference between the first two and farrell and vaughan. I like farrell and vaughan, but the guys from the first year are a notch above (or so)

18. Zillinois

Zillinois Friend of Leo's

I guess I'm a fan boy, I totally dug both seasons. So much grit, what an ending huh?

I'm not sure why Ray just didn't ditch the tail, I'm sure he could have, at maybe some place really public. And Poor Frank couldn't win for losing - "Why Honey, you stopped moving way back there" or whatever the quote is from the Dream version of his wife. Ouch - I thought he might actually make it. I'm not sure why the gay cop was even in the story, I guess it was another way to show the level of corruption.

The series totally reminds me of reading old pulp crime novels & comic books, where the story isn't laid out like modern "Law & Order", and they expose the characters quite a bit more. Hopefully, it continue for at least another season.

19. Colo Springs E

I'll tune in if they have another season.

20. tele salivas

Harrelson and that other guy would be a hard team to beat. Natural chemistry, ability to riff, timing, all that stuff, yeah, they were a big part f the first season's success. I have never liked Vaughn, until now. I thought his portrayal of Frank was pretty damn likeable. I especially liked his trajectory and discomfort in being a corporate shill when Caspere didn't show up for that presentation, and how when he came back "down to the streets" the root of his success, his toughness was explored and surveyed. He got above his raising a little bit and he had to reprove himself on that level, but they still had a big FU waiting for him.

Farrell's Velcoro I can sympathize with. As the son of a cop, and my Godfather being the retired head of a narcotics division in a large city, I was raised in that culture pretty deep, and was also a "nervous son" who "Had his father's hands". It's such a cliche' , but its really part of the thing with cops, who are sons of cops, who were also sons of cops. And that's all I got to say about that.

The thing with Ray not being able to ditch the tail so easily is he also happened to be the most wanted man in California right then. I guess he figured they had eyes in the sky, too? Hell if I know. I've been rereading some of the old pulp stuff, and I am pleasantly surprised at how much of it holds up. Every once in a while some really clever stuff comes out of the meandering really beat detectives. Yeah, its not Law and Order with easily defined lines and outcomes. Though the True Detective things seems to do a pretty good job wrapping stuff up in a season.
    Except the singer/picker in the bar. I think she is a ghost.:lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.