1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

True bypass SD1

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by LKNJ, Apr 8, 2020.

1. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

I agree - it’s not representative of all boss pedals. I just sold a Boss tremolo pedal is owned for 15 years. Never had a single problem.

That being said, sometimes you just want to see what else is out there. That’s all my original post was about.

Surely you can relate.

2. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

A good buffer is neutral and very helpful for providing your passive guitar with a constant load. A good buffer is also extremely easy to design for audio - trivial high-school level, in fact. A buffer that audibly causes a frequency response change is either an amateur effort or an EQ circuit in disguise.

I've really had no issues with the buffers in Boss pedals as the OP describes, even with 5 or 6 in a chain, and so I suspect a bum pedal (no idea why). When I get pedals with "true bypass", I usually disable it for better, more consistent performance.

3. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Absolutely, which is why I included info on how to even convert the SD-1 to true bypass, in the factory enclosure, in a way that's 100% reversible, in the event you ever want to go back.

I also looked to see if I could find a DIY project (that has true bypass) somewhere for the SD-1, as in something that is mostly turn-key, which might make it a viable option. I thought Aion Electronics had one, because they have stuff for other Boss pedals. I think they even have one for the OD-1, but I don't see one for the SD-1. You may want to contact them, because it's entirely possible that they might make one, if the demand/interest is there:

https://aionelectronics.com/about/contact/

("Suggestion for a new project" is actually selectable from the drop down menu, as a Reason for Contact).

One of those projects would be something easily built by a person with decent pedal assembly skills, so it shouldn't be too hard to find someone to do that for you.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    LKNJ and The-Kid like this.
  4. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

GGG has a true bypass SD-1 project but it appears to be built on a TS board with SD-1 value components. There is no C6 included and D5 and D6 share the same pair of holes.

LKNJ and The-Kid like this.
  5. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

Not much of an expert here but I differ to this guys brilliant post.

Can we configure that mod to switch between true bypass and buffer?

As is great but yeah that would be cool too

6. 11 Gauge

It adds to the complexity, but if you're going to the trouble to switch the type of bypass, it's something that could absolutely be included.

I'm sure there are probably lots of little DIY projects that probably have something like the KTR true/buffer switch, if you don't mind the basic little op amp style buffer. I think it works just fine, and you could probably even put it on a little piece of perf/protoboard that go with the mechanical switch you're using.

...That's actually the advantage of to going to mechanical (e.g. latching) types of bypass switches - it's not that much more work to add the true/buffer option.

And probably yet another thing to look for, if building a turn-key DIY project, is to see what options they might have when using a 3PDT switch, because they typically have the little PCBs that solder right on top of the switch, to simplify the wiring. They might just have an optional PCB that includes true/buffered, right on it. Some probably also have a PCB that uses a momentary and relay-type true bypass.

The-Kid likes this.
  7. 11 Gauge

For C6, you could just piggyback it (.01uF/10nF) parallel to GGG's equivalent of of R9 (10K).

Modding for two diodes in series, where there's just space for one, is a pretty straightforward thing for the shadetree DIY'er, IMO.

8. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Yeah, those solutions occurred to me. They're probably mentioned in the build documents as well, but I just took a quick peek.

9. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

LKNJ likes this.
  10. 11 Gauge

Thanks for that, since it really quantifies what's happening with the bypass bleed issue in the SD-1.

That article also makes absolutely clear that you get ~.06% THD from ANY pedal that uses this type of bypass switching - doesn't matter if it's Boss/Ibanez/Maxon/Daphon/etc. And the article points out that while such noise would be unacceptable for hi-fi audio, it is a non-issue for guitar audio applications.

And just for reference, the typical tube amp's THD will be >1% (even something like a Twin Reverb), so you probably shouldn't concern yourself with ~.06% at all.

11. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

isn't the way huge "drive" a true bypass SD-1 clone?

12. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

The Geisha Drive?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.