True bypass SD1

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by LKNJ, Apr 8, 2020.

1. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

I have a couple of overdrives that I really like. I kind of rotate them through my tiny pedal board. One that I really love is the Boss SD1, but I hardly every use it because the buffer in it really alters the sound of my rig when bypassed.

Does anyone make a quality clone of this pedal with true bypass?

Thanks!

2. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

I don’t know if anyone makes a true bypass DS-1, but my old Keeley modified DS-1 didn’t seem to suck tone. It was not true-bypass, but they used better grade caps and resistors, and cleaned up the pedal that way. Maybe you can find one of those on Reverb as they are no longer made. Analog Mike (Analog Man) used to make modified DS-1, but he says the latest revision is not easily modifiable.

Seems to me that I’ve seen a number of videos recently from boutique pedal guys saying the Boss designed buffer wasn’t a bad design... Nonetheless, Analog Man makes a bypass module for folks wanting true bypass on a non-true bypass pedal. The pedal is always on, and there is a true bypass switch that switches on the pedal. I’m sure there are other folks who manufacture these as one off switches.

Isn’t the DS-1 just a modified (higher gain) tube screamer?

3. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

My understanding is that the SD 1 and TS are very similar circuits, but I own both and they sound pretty different. SD is kind of crisper sounding. Maybe less bass?

I’ll check out Analog Man. Thank you!

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Right off the bat, I'm seeing it called both SD and DS. Different pedals.

5. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Right. I’m talking about it the SD1. I assumed scooteraz meant the SD1, too, since he referred to it being similar to tubescreamer.

6. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic

Maybe try the waza?

Better buffers. But not TB

The-Kid and LKNJ like this.
  7. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Meister

I’ve said it elsewhere on here, but I’ll say it again. I love the SD-1. People say it’s like a screamer but I don’t think they sound anything alike. I also think the Boss pedal came first.

I don’t notice it having any effect on my sound when off. That doesn’t mean it’s not, it’s just not something I notice. Could never get into actual TS pedals, but love the Boss.

I spent some time looking for a clone in mini form but I couldn’t find anyone cloning it.

jh

GuitLoop, 8trackmind and LKNJ like this.
  8. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

9. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

If it does change your sound, it changes it for the better.

10. Junco Partner

Junco Partner TDPRI Member

MXR CBMOD and Xotic AC Booster are both based on SD-1 circuit (TS with asym clipping, basically) with True Bypass and expanded tone controls.

The Boss OD-1 came first. Asymmetrical clipping, no tone control.

TS-808 was next, Ibanez changed the clipping to symmetrical, added the tone circuit.

Boss SD-1 then went back to asym clipping, copied and slightly tweaked the tone circuit.

The closest I know of as far as mini versions: Mooer make a pedal called the Flex Boost, a mini clone of the AC Booster I mentioned above. Also I believe BYOC offer a mini “Modified OD” that uses asymmetrical clipping.

OttoCorrect, LKNJ and mugen74 like this.
  11. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

12. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

I think eventually I might do that. I just have a very small board - 4 pedals including a tuner pedal. So, adding one more to handle just switching makes a big difference.

13. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

14. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

How old is the SD-1 you’re using? I have a newer SD-1, the kind that uses SMT and is no longer full size through hole components. While the tone is still exactly as an SD-1 should be (thank goodness), the pedal is quieter and I’m sure the buffer is likely updated too.

I’ve never had a problem with Boss buffers, but if you’re trying to run an SD-1 into a fuzz I could see why you’d want TB for when the pedal is off but the fuzz is on.

Regardless, maybe the newer SMT edition would fit the bill. Or a Waza maybe? Those have excellent buffers.

leonard d rock and The-Kid like this.
  15. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

I’m really not sure how old mine is. Maybe about 10-15 years? I’ll take a look at those. Thanks!

16. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Can you elaborate on that?

Or...do you find that all Boss pedals alter your sound in bypass, in the same way?

Point being that the buffer componentry in the newer Boss pedals is different, probably for the better. Instead of hacking out the existing bypass, your old SD-1 could probably be improved by replacing a transistor, a resistor, and maybe a cap or two.

I'd say give something like the OD-3 a try - the buffered bypass with that shouldn't alter your sound, or not noticeably, by itself.

I can't really overstate that this really should be a relatively simple and easy alteration to the SD-1, to get the buffered bypass up to snuff.

The-Kid likes this.
  17. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

The pedal, when off, makes my rig sound much darker. And that obviously affects everything down the chain. Im really not sure whether it always did this or just in the last few years. But I did have a similar problem with a Boss tuner pedal years ago. I initially thought it was a power supply issue, but trying a battery and another power supply didn’t change anything.

JuneauMike likes this.
  18. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Junco Partner and LKNJ like this.
  19. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Holic

Echoing the other comment, I had an older SD-1 and it definitely colored the tone in bypass. When I bought a brand new one a couple years ago, it didn’t seem to have the same effect.

You could buy a boost/EQ for the end of your chain to give you back what you’re losing. Or get it modded. Or buy a new one and try that. Otherwise, there are a million overdrives out there that can do something close to what the SD-1 does if the buffer bothers you that much. I seem to recall a Cmatmods Signa Drive being pretty similar in one of its modes.

JuneauMike and LKNJ like this.
  20. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Mea Culpa. I always mix up the DS-1 (orange) and the SD-1 (Yellow). I have Keeley modified DS-1 and a Keely Modified BD-2, both long since out of production. I believe he also modified the SD-1 for a while. You can find the Keely modified Boss pedals on Reverb. I have to say that I used the modified DS-1 for quite a while on my board, it was very versatile.

Analog Man modifies your DS-1 (or DS-1 Pro)
    https://www.buyanalogman.com/Boss_DS_1_Pro_p/am-boss-ds-1-pro.htm

But he still sells a modified SD-1
    https://www.buyanalogman.com/Boss_SD_1_808_p/am-boss-sd-1-808.htm

Here are some pages of his describing the SD-1 and the DS-1 differences.
    https://www.buyanalogman.com/SD_1_808_vs_DS_1_pro_s/58.htm

And here he discusses making the Boss pedals true bypass
    https://www.buyanalogman.com/Can_you_make_my_Boss_Pedal_true_bypass_s/60.htm

I am sorry for letting my confusion (and apparently on again off again dyslexia) spill over to others.

As an aside, I have several Analog Man pedals, and they are all amazing. He delivers what he says he is going to deliver. I could say that about others as well.

LKNJ likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.