True bypass looper: pop and noise questions

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by WilburBufferson, Nov 30, 2019.

1. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

I've got the Radial Bigshot EFX true bypass looper. I got it to isolate my overdrive and modulations pedals into two respective loops. The problem is that I hear a pretty big "pop" whenever I activate either of the loops. Another (more troublesome) problem is when I activate the "overdrive loop", the controls on my guitar sound ultra sensitive, noisey. For example, if I turn the volume down, the complete travel of the pot sounds scratchy/bad, even if all of the OD pedals are OFF in the loop. If I flip the rhythm/lead switch on my Jazzmaster, the pop is really amplified. I am only guessing that it is some sort of loading issue or ?????? The sensitivity issue isn't quite pronounced with the modulation loop, but the initial "pop" is still there when I de/activate the loop.

The reason why I got the Bigshot was because it was way cheaper than the GigRig Quartermaster, but now I'm starting to question the purchase.

Does anyone have any insight into this problem?

FOR REFERENCE: in the picture, the Octava, Blues Driver and Tumnus are in Loop 2 (noisey) and the Super Octave and Deja Vibe are in Loop 1. The tuner is first in the signal path, then the Radial which outputs to rest of the pedals.

20191130_212523.jpg

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I use a Boss LS-2 for the same purpose and never an issue, but it has a buffer. However, a good buddy of mine uses the ToneBone more often than his LS-2, so I doubt it has to do with the buffer. I heavily depend on the levels adjustments on the LS-2, which might help your issue. Perhaps set one of the pedals in each loop to lower levels just to see if that helps.

3. WilburBufferson

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's a level issue. The point is that when Loop 2 is on/open, and all the pedals are OFF in that loop, all the controls on my guitar get microphonic. I am wondering whether a buffered looper would remedy the problem? I used to have a LS-2 but didn't like the way it colored the signal path which is why I am looking at the expensive Quartermaster.

Obsessed likes this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Hmmm, you've got some great pedals there and ironically, the Blues driver has the Boss buffer which is on your noisy path, so I understand your dilemma. Maybe this will be a good bump of your thread for someone with a better idea.

Good luck.

WilburBufferson likes this.
  5. WilburBufferson

Bumping....

In the meantime, I removed the Radial and tried the whole chain as a serial connection. Interestingly, that pop and microphonic sensitivity went away, except for the Deja Vibe (running at 18V from my Strymon Zuma (*isolated) power supply), but only when it was early in the chain. When I put it later in the chain, the problem went away. Weird.

I'm either going to go for the Quartermaster, or forget the whole thing and live with the slight change in the signal having all of the pedals in line! :rolleyes:

I would be interested if anyone knows the source of the original problem? Or perhaps how running pedals with different voltages can cause problems.

6. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I think you might have a ground loop happening between your two power supplies.

7. WilburBufferson

Only one power supply... The Zuma provides different voltage options. Besides, the Radial has the bells and whistles to deal with ground loops.

8. chris m.

Maybe a bad patch cord somewhere? Passive switch popping is not uncommon, though. That’s one reason why buffered switches like Boss and Truetone were invented- to eliminate the pop.

9. J-Flanders

J-Flanders Tele-Meister

It seems that there's a pedal with a leaky capacitor and no pull down resistor.
    You'd have the pop issue with that pedal by itself without the looper. You just moved the problem from the pedal's switch to the looper's switch.
    That pedal (or multiple) leaks dc which builds up to a potential. When you press the switch you provide a discharge path for that DC potential which you hear as a pop.

If you hear crackly/scratchy noises when turning a (guitar) pot it's either very dirty, worn out or... there's DC on the pot.

There may be other causes:
    http://www.muzique.com/lab/pop.htm

10. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

11. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I have a simple 7 switch switcher and it doesn't pop much.

12. J-Flanders

J-Flanders Tele-Meister

If it's true bypass and you use his pedals, it'll pop. And your guitar's volume knob will be scratchy.

13. WilburBufferson

I'm not disagreeing with anyone, but the pop and scratch has gone away (but I don't think I know the cause yet).

The pop and scratch sounds applied to the 3 dirt pedals in Loop 2 of the Radial. I removed the Radial, put all pedals in series with one another. None of the 3 dirt pedals pop or produce scratch sounds (on or off).

However... the Fulltone Deja Vibe was previously in Loop 1 of the Radial, and posed no problems at all, until I put the pedals in series with one another (without the Radial). No more scratchy sounds, but turning this pedal on and off created a pop when it was early in the chain, but was not evident when it was placed at the end of the chain.

None of the guitars have scratchy pots on their own.

The Deja Vibe runs at 18V and is adequately powered, so I don't know if this is an issue.

I will take a look at the links you've provided, thank you. :)

14. chris m.

If the pop is there but soft it might have become more audible once you put it first in the chain because it became amplified by the later pedals in the chain.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.