"true" bypass - looking at you, Mooer

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Axegrinder77, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

So despite what people have written and reviewed, I had suspected the two cheapest pedals on my board to be causing some tone loss. I played around with my mooer ensemble king chorus and e lady flanger, running all kinds of "tests" as a neurotic guitarist does.

I discovered that the chorus was not allowing all my tone through when disengaged. It seemed to be robbing tone and warmth, similar to my experience with some boss buffers.

Saw this video, and wow.

I sold the chorus. Kind of a shame because it sounded and worked great, when on. I didn't hear any problem with the e lady, but now I'm gonna go test it some more! I'm thinking the two buffers in my chain could be solving it. Too bad this guy didn't later test with a buffer, just to compare.

I guess not all true bypass is created equal.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    nojazzhere likes this.
  2. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

The only Mooer pedal I ever really liked was the Hustle drive, but wasn't in the market for that OCD sound at the time though.

When I was shopping for a delay pedal, I tried the Reecho Pro and the tone suck was apparent. Even on, it felt like I lost some dynamics using the pedal.

That pretty much turned me off of using Mooer, and most "inexpensive" copy-cat pedals. I know lots of people use them and thats great - there is a huge market for them. Perceived tone suck and likely limited lifespan have kept me away.

Best of luck in your chorus hunt...

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  3. allesz

allesz Tele-Holic

I have a 4 pedals mooer mini board (black secret, blue faze, mod factory and ana echo), and they are true bypass: they pass signal on bypass, even without power connected.

Maybe some models are buffered, don't kow. I am not at all against buffered pedals but a) quality matters, in particular because we always speak of a pedals chain. b) what's advertised matters: if only some models are true bypass Just say It.

My only digital mooer Is the mod factory and, when activated, It sucks some signal and the imbalance with bypass level/sound Is quite annoying (I use this pedals sparingly so it's ok). In this case I really would prefer a decent buffered bypass.

4. J-Flanders

J-Flanders Tele-Meister

Unfortunately that only proves they're not buffered bypass.
    They could be true bypass or have the worst kind of bypass:

http://stinkfoot.se/archives/501

RomanS, allesz and Axegrinder77 like this.
  5. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

I'm going to have to test my Army of Chinese clone pedals now!!!

I'll get back to you, sometime!

bluesholyman and nojazzhere like this.
  6. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I'm thinking there must be differences in this hardwire bypass. My mxr micro amp is hardwire, but there seems to be no tonal suffering. Maybe how the impedance is set?

7. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Neither true bypass nor buffering is universally just "better." It depends on your signal chain -- number of pedals, length of cord run, and sometimes even your amp input. Beware generalizations. And I guess it's sadly true the even w/in the bypass and buffer categories, some designs work well and some are crap. For some reason, I really hate diddling around with my pedals to work out order, buffer or not, etc., but unfortunately I find it makes a difference, and now and again, a big difference. Gotta do the ear test.

nojazzhere and erratick like this.
  8. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Holic

The word is impedance

9. patient81

patient81 TDPRI Member

With regards to the video, that sounds like a faulty pedal or perhaps a faulty input cable going to the auto wah. There's no way the 'true bypass' on mooer pedals is having a significant reduction in output volume like that, I've had a few and that video is not a fair indicator of how they perform.

I'm not saying that no Mooer pedals colour tone in any way, and if they do it would be much more subtle, but there's no way it's that drastic unless something else is happening, like a faulty unit.

zombiwoof and Axegrinder77 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.