Trudy intro by CJB.

telekaster1999

Tele-Afflicted
Don't know if this is the correct forum to post this, please redirect if not, but I couldn't find an accurate video on the interwebs. Any suggestions on the right way to play this will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
That video is close... but not quite. That latter half is right, the first few notes aren't quite there.

The first couple notes include a quick bend from the D to the E on the G string. The first note is a ghost note (almost non existent) while the 2nd note is the quick bend from D to E. Follow that up with the C note pulled sharp (blue note) which is already there on the video.

Take a look at how Blackberry Smoke plays those first few notes. That's exactly how I've always done it.

There are a Rockpalast CDB video with Charlie playing it the exact same way... but the video is out of sync so it doesn't look right.

Last edited:

Junkyard Dog

Friend of Leo's
Upon closer inspection...

I think that the Blackberry Smoke guys are missing a note (or two) in the first half of the lick. But it sounds good, and I didn't even notice it until I went and listened closely to the CDB original. And I've never worked on this song myself, so I don't exactly what is missing or how to play it...just can hear something different. Could be the way Charlie (I assume he plays it on the record...but not sure) articulates the notes or something.

On a side note...I LOVE the bass playing on that whole Fire On The Mountain album. I can't remember the name of the bass player, but I believe he is from the Maryland eastern shore.

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
I think that the Blackberry Smoke guys are missing a note (or two) in the first half of the lick. But it sounds good, and I didn't even notice it until I went and listened closely to the CDB original.

You are right, when comparing to the original CDB studio cut. There are a couple additional ghost notes right after the C note pull... it's a quick trio of muted notes which I believe are an "open G > C (on g string) > pull off back to the open G". It's a real feel thing...

I'm not sure if Charlie did that live though... usually live they doubled the track with an octave guitar.