Tru-Oil Streaking?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by RavageTheEarth, Sep 24, 2020.

1. RavageTheEarth

RavageTheEarth TDPRI Member

I got a new Warmoth neck and I'm about 10 coats into applying very light coats with coffee filters. It looks fantastic, but up close you can see the streak marks and swirls most likely caused by the graininess of the coffee filter and the fact that each coat is extremely light.

Should I just give it a good buff after with my buffing machine or am I missing something? It doesn't really bother me. I couldn't even get it to show up in a picture, but I just want to be making sure I'm not messing anything up.

I did a lot of research before starting this and so many people recommend coffee filters so I'm not sure what to do now. Perhaps it will settle with more coats?

I do have some 0000 steel wool and sanding paper. Maybe I'll go over it with the 0000 wool in the morning and see if that helps at all.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    nojazzhere likes this.
  2. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

When I tru-oiled my neck I initially tried coffee filters and didn't like it. Switched to a cut up t-shirt and used 0000 steel wool after every 2 coats and it came out nice and streak free. I also waited a full 24 hours between coats, but you may not actually need to do that.

20190807_194429.jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    joealso, nojazzhere and boredguy6060 like this.
  3. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

That’s exactly the way I do it, never had an issue.

If you want to use your buffer, just make sure it’s had ample time to dry, then it will look amazing.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. RavageTheEarth

RavageTheEarth TDPRI Member

Thanks for the tips! I let it dry overnight and went over it with the steel wool. Then I used a 100% cotton T-shirt to coat it again. Worked much better! It's looking good.

[​IMG]

5. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

On the final coat, if you use the tip of your finger and apply the TO by the scant drop and spread it until it's pretty much dry, you'll get a smooth and glossy finish.

It's labor intensive, but it works very well. :)

RavageTheEarth likes this.
  6. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

I don't know where the coffee filter thing came from, I went out of me way to try it and it never worked. An old T shirt on the other hand near failed me.

Gary

7. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

Been doing a maple capped body in Tru-oil. I've been just using my fingers to apply it, and wet sanding it back with 800 grit to keep the finish level. I find the wet sanding is better than steel wool or a Scotchbrite pad. Use the oil sparingly and rub it in hard. It should feel hot to the touch when you're rubbing it in. That's just my take on it. YMMV

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.