1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tru-oil questions

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by volksport, Oct 5, 2010.

1. rlscherer

rlscherer TDPRI Member

I have a few questions related to all of this...

I have done a few coats of birchwood casey sealer/filler on a mahogany body, and it seems to not want to fill the grain, unless I really put it on thick. Of course, if I put it on thick, it dries unevenly, and needs to be sanded back.

Assuming I can get a nice grain fill done with the sealer/filler, what do I want that surface to be like before I move on to the Tru Oil? Sanded flat? Sanded back so there's not too much sealer/filler aside from what fills the grain? Just roughed up a little with 220? Untouched (glossy & smooth?)?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

2. wbegg

wbegg TDPRI Member

Try NOT using grain filler. I like a bit of grainshowing on a guitar. Hell, it's made of wood, why not show it!

Here's an example of one of mine.

Attached Files:

3. david fernley

david fernley Tele-Meister

Yes i did a SG type mahogany bodie with no grain filler, mahogany as a very open grain but to me looks fine a sounds fantastic without filler but thats my choice others may have a prenfernce to grain fill.

4. es125tcd

es125tcd TDPRI Member

Yep, did a Red Elm Esquire, finished it with Briwax golden Oak polish/ stain ( beeswax based product, just rub in , kind of like shoe polish... next to Tru Oil, its the bomb !!!) then tru oiled the body- Red elm has open grain, and this finish shows it well , does wonders for tone, lets the wood breathe !!!

5. david fernley

Ill go with that lets the wood breathe sound

6. wbegg

wbegg TDPRI Member

If the wood breathes too loud, You'll start hearing owls hooting at gensing roots growing in a mass of flowering canalileys.

What?

7. axedaddy

axedaddy Tele-Afflicted

Tru Oil works exceptionally well for bringing the grain out on walnut.

Before Tru Oil

[​IMG]

After Tru Oil

[​IMG]

8. david fernley

lol you been there to

9. jpbturbo

jpbturbo Tele-Afflicted

What is this?
    I don't even...

10. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

It's dead.. why did it start breathing?

11. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Tru-Oil is very versatile and forgiving, but I'm not sure I'd put it over a wax product like Briwax. Briwax is mainly a furniture restoration product, intended to renew dull, or old damaged finishes. I agree, though, it has some great colors.

As a gun stock finish product (sez so on the label) Tru-Oil could be said to be specifically formulated to work on Walnut, because up until the synthetics came on the scene maybe 15 years ago or so, most gun stocks were walnut. It's just our great luck that it works so well on other woods, as well. I have used gallons of the stuff on all my walnut projects, and with an occasional waxing (over the tru-oil, not under it), they remain great looking, and well protected.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.