1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tru Oil over Kiwi?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by choosebronze, May 6, 2012.

1. choosebronze

choosebronze TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

First, I'm sorry. Logic tells me this question has already been answered here, but after a lot of searching, and a lot of reading, I haven't been able to find anything that's exactly on point.

I have a BSB Squier Affinity, and like almost everyone else who owns one, I want to darken the neck. I've read a lot on TDPRI about the Kiwi shoe polish, with the biggest complaints being smell, and that it wears off. I can live with the smell. What I'm wondering is... after the neck is tinted with Kiwi, could a few coats of Tru Oil be applied to kind of "seal" it in? Or will the two react badly together? Has anyone done this?

I know this might not be the "right" way to tint a neck, but I'm interested in it for 2 simple reasons:
    1. It's dirt cheap (I can't justify putting much more than $15 into a $120 guitar).
    2. I don't have any place to spray right now, so anything I can rub on is great.

If there's a better method that fits those criteria, I would love to know. Thanks guys.

2. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Some shoe polishes contain silicon, and silicon plays hell on finishes.

3. phoenixash

phoenixash Tele-Holic

4. choosebronze

choosebronze TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Thanks Pohenix, that actually makes sense. Let me ask this... is there any advantage or disadvantage to mixing the dye directly with the tru oil and applying, versus mixing the dye with water/alcohol and applying it first, and then coating it with tru oil?

Also, StewMac has a great sales pitch about their dyes being far superior to something you'd find at the hardware store, but if I can find something suitable at a hardware store it would probably be cheaper (and no shipping charges). Could anyone tell me what exactly these dyes are so I know what to look for at a hardware store? Just any "wood stain"?

5. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Stew Mac Colortone is just Transtint dye with Stew Macs colortone label. I would have to say, I think they are far superior to stuff you get at the hardware store.

You will get great results mixing transtint vintage amber with alcohol. Wiping it on bare wood, then following with tru oil. However, with finish already on your neck, you would most likely need to scuff sand. Spray a toner coat of amber, and then apply a clear coat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.