TRRI string rattle

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jazzalta, Feb 20, 2009.

1. jazzalta

jazzalta Tele-Meister

I have developed a rattle seemingly overnight on my rather new TRRI. I pulled every tube one at a time - still there; tightened every screw/nut -still there. The amazing thing is that it only rattles on a D frequency, every D frequency but worse on the bass ones. Anyone else run into this??

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Drives you crazy, doesn't it? I have heard grille cloth edges create strong rattles.
    IF it is a tube rattle, you can usually tap on hte tubes one at a time and find that kind of a problem. Sometimes speakers will exhibit this type rattle. Do not overtighten speakers. THat can bend the frame and create more problems than you already have.
    IF you have good 'stereo' hearing, you can usually locate the source of the rattle. THere might be a splinter or a piece of the composite in the cab loose.
    Good luck with it.

3. jazzalta

jazzalta Tele-Meister

Thanks for the advice Wally. By the way I did tap on the tubes. I did this with a pencil eraser - all of them gave a thumping noise except second last one (12AX7A). It was more of a clang. But when I replaced it the clang and original noise (coming through the speaker) still there. Still wondering.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.