1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Trout fisherman here?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ieatlions, Apr 18, 2021.

1. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

I was an avid fisherman in my younger days and I’ve got the bug for it lately and would like to dive back in.

I’m after a rod for trout, suitable for local rivers which can get tight in places..

CAFBC307-444A-4306-9404-98F005B44D7B.jpeg

32EA035C-FC1A-4273-9120-3189F091B5AA.jpeg
    4D33D57D-8E5B-4D6F-BFAA-E9E53CA3ADCB.jpeg

I’ll be fishing for trout, using spinners/light lure.

Any rod/reel suggestions? I’ve done a bit of research but the choice and information is mind boggling!

This seems a reasonable option for a rod:

A7F66F91-0A1A-4D0B-ADD8-569BF59D8734.png

Any advice is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

The rod looks fine, I use an ultralight for brook trout but it can handle a bit more. There's lots of decent open-face reel options including by Daiwa. I must add that my favorite lure is the Kastmaster, in varying colors and sizes, hands down. Try some out!

ieatlions and dented like this.
  3. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

If you’re spin-cast fishing, that rod will do you. As @Old Plank noted there are a lot of open face options from Diawa, Shimano, and others. Have fun.

Of course I saw this post and immediately thought “starter fly rod is 5wt and will do you...”. But, to each their own.

ieatlions, Guran, Old Plank and 2 others like this.
  4. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

I was thinking 6wt and streamers, but yeah...same inclination.

ieatlions likes this.
  5. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Lol, my son and I are texting back and forth about smelt fishing while watching NASCAR when this thread popped up. It seems the Trout and Salmon are eating all the Smelt! My parents had some property in upstate NY and it had a trout stream. We would go up and catch brook trout as kids. Love to trout fish! Good luck with the renewed hobby. I'm not good on present day gear. I would go with a stick, string, 1o and a can of corn.

ieatlions likes this.
  6. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Just back from Salmon Creek by Marienville PA. We had a great time. Kind of cold but fun. May is the State College trip. Bought a full year PA license this year.

dustoff pilot and ieatlions like this.
  7. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Yeah I meant to say in my post to ieatlions, Now don't let anyone give ya a hard time for spin fishing hah!

ieatlions likes this.
  8. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I'm not an "avid" trout person, but I use to go often, and I may go again in the fall. I have two rods that I use, one is a Team Diawa 13' noodle rod, and the other is a 9' GL Loomis 3. The rainbow trout in the river that many in southern Ontario go to can easily get up to 15 pounds. They come into the Notawasaga River, which flows into Georgian Bay (off Lake Huron). The 13' noodle rod is my preferred.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    ieatlions and getbent like this.
  9. Mr powers

Mr powers Tele-Meister

My son catches bigger fish than me but I try.
    This is me from last year. received_2538180039781957.jpeg

10. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

That's funny, my first thought was that it looked like pretty ideal water for a spey rod -- maybe because I want one myself!

ieatlions likes this.
  11. scooteraz

My first was 6 wt, before I knew anything. And I used that for EVERYTHING from Bluegills and Trout through Bass....

But of course, much like Telecasters (and guitars in general), now I “know better” and have several rods from 2 wt through about 10....

ieatlions and PBO Blues like this.
  12. scooteraz

Hey, hey heeeeyyyy!!!! I answered his question before I mentioned flies....LOL

And yes, I have been spin fishing for trout, heck, I’ve been known to use a bait caster on occasion....:rolleyes: I’ve even been spear-gun fishing for grouper....you should see the one that got away there!
    Fishing is fishing. I personally don’t care what form you take.

ieatlions and Old Plank like this.
  13. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

In America?

CJM3309 and Old Plank like this.
  14. scooteraz

Indeed! Spey or Switch casting....
    Personally, I ‘m no good at either, but that is mostly due to lack of consistent practice. Sort of like my bait casting skills....

15. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

Don't even want to think about how many fly rods are in the closet behind me. 2wt to 12. Redundancy/variation in all weights. A few bamboo and fiberglass, but mostly graphite. I like 'em fast. A handful each of 8s, 9s, and 10s as, not being much of a trout fisherman, that's what I use most. Happiest in the salt (bonefish, my addiction) or chasing big backwoods musky or caboose-sized carp.

This past year has been the pits. No live music, no fishin' trips. My life has been dull, dull, dull.

ieatlions, Old Plank and Torren61 like this.
  16. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I trout fished for trout a lot from the mid-1970s until 2007 when my best trout fishing friend passed away. I started out fishing with a spinning rod and leaf worms with no or very little weight, and did very well in several Michigan streams. In 1981 I bought 10A on a beautiful & productive trout stream and quickly figured out that for me fishing dry flies was easier and as productive as spinning except for rare conditions, so that’s all I did until I started taking my grandson out to small streams a few years ago. We used light spinning rods & spinners. I also was a steelhead fanatic until that friend died, and I used long spinning rods for drifting but also got a couple in little creeks on spinners. Trout fishing is great.

For regular trout any decent lightweight rig should work fine. I like Shimano reels for freshwater stuff and there are a zillion decent rods available for less than $100. I use a 5-6 footer on smaller streams.

My favorite trout fishing for many years was night fishing for big browns with big dry flies. I haven’t been since my friend departed and I fear the waters I used to fish are now overrun with drift boats, which to me are an abomination in smaller trout streams.

ieatlions and Old Plank like this.
  17. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

A nice laker! Well done.

Mr powers likes this.
  18. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

Four years ago, my son caught a really nice brown in a creek in NW IL while fishing for smallmouth, which is quite a rarity--this water is managed for put-and-take trout fishing (which doesn't really interest me), but this guy must've wintered over for at least a few seasons. Caught him on light spinning tackle--I have fly tackle and use it for smallies sometimes, but it's not my favorite way to fish. It's fun to catch fish on fly tackle, but a lot less productive/efficient; more messing around with gear than I prefer. Catching largemouth on big dragonfly flies is a lot of fun, I'll say.

Stubee, ieatlions and PBO Blues like this.
  19. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

First, pound-for-pound, there's no better freshwater scrapper than a smallmouth. I've tied into many a 20-inch trout that, when finally landed, turned out to be a 10-inch smallie. Tie a smallmouth to an equivalently sized trout, tail to tail, and the smallie will drag the poor trout all over the place. Love them on a fly rod. And if you're in Chicagoland, you have a real treat in the offing with the Brood X cicada hatch coming up. Topwater smallmouth fishing will be off the charts.

As for fly fishing being less productive/efficient, I like to think of it as more challenging. Like bow hunting compares to hunting with a high-powered rifle. However you wish to handicap yourself to make it interesting/sporting.

And honestly, messing around with gear is half the fun of it.

Sorry @ieatlions, didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'll try to curb my enthusiasm and be quiet now. :oops:

Stubee, ieatlions and Willie Johnson like this.
  20. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

I hadn't thought about the cicada hatch and topwaters--thank you! Around here, when the lilacs bloom, that's when the smallmouth bite really takes off.

I love smallies--a very working-class game fish. I see people gear up and travel to catch teeny brook trout ( I've caught them up on the UP of MI, and they're beautiful fish that live in beautiful places) when they could catch much bigger, sportier fish right in their own backyards on their local smallmouth river. Hey, more for me.

ieatlions and PBO Blues like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.