Troubleshooting Help? TR-2 Noisy After Mod

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by Flatfoot, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Flatfoot

Flatfoot Tele-Meister

Last night I completed the Boss Tr-2 Tremolo pedal mod from Monte Allums, minus the flashing LED part of the mod (though I did replace the stock LED and resistor with a white LED). I have done four of Monte's mods prior on various Boss dirt boxes with great results, so I am not a rank novice.

The pedal sounds great - much clearer and better overall - but when I put it back on my pedal board I noticed that I can here a faint "oscillating noise", the tempo of which is tied to the rate knob setting, even when the pedal is in bypass. If the noise was present with the pedal in its stock form, I had never noticed it. If I turn up the gain on one of my dirt boxes that preceed the TR-2 in the signal chain it becomes very pronounced. The TR-2 is a current production model - I just got it new a month ago. I have eight pedals on my board currently and I am powering them with a One Spot.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

2. Flatfoot

Flatfoot Tele-Meister

OK. I have determined that it is one of my pedals in particular that doesn't want to play well with the TR-2 - my DS-1 that has had Monte's Roxx Tri-Gain mod. I can use the two together and you don't hear anything troublesome because of the obvious masking, but if I turn the DS-1 on while the TR-2 is in bypass I can hear the cyclic clicking. It isn't too loud as long as the DS-1's Distortion knob is kept below 2-3 O'clock - at 4-5 O'Clock it becomes pretty pronounced.

Let me follow up with this question....Is it likely/possible that a better conditioned power source, i.e. Voodoo Labs, MXR Brick, etc. or even the actual Boss supply would get rid of this problem?

3. limbe

limbe Tele-Afflicted

I would try the pedals with batteries before I bought anything.

4. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

I'm going to watch this thread closely.

I have a similar problem with my TR-2. It is stock with no mods.

I don't use a lot of pedals--just have a Boss TU-3 and a BBE Green Screamer in addition to the Boss TR-2.

When I have all three in the chain, the tremolo bleeds through when the pedal is not engaged--it is a "swooshing" oscillating sound that can be controlled with the rate and depth knobs on the pedal.

I've experimented by changing the order of the pedals, eliminating power supply by using batteries, etc with no resolution. What is strange is that it is not consistent--I have thought on a few occasions that I had fixed the problem by rearranging the order but then the problem comes back. Currently I cannot use the pedal at all in conjunction with the others. Fortunately it is not essential, but I would like to have the tremolo at my disposal.

5. Flatfoot

Flatfoot Tele-Meister

Thanks for the replies! As for switching to battery power, that may not be an option because my modded pedals use stacked op amps which require more current than a 9v battery can provide reliably.

6. suave eddie

I don't think that is going to be the fix.

The first thing I thought of when I noticed this issue on mine was the power supply--I was using an inexpensive generic power supply for all three pedals. I still experienced it with batteries.

7. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

Can you stack 9v batteries? Might be worth trying just to rule out one factor. I have a 9v battery snap with a 2.1mm plug soldered to the end of it so I can test my pedals.

8. limbe

limbe Tele-Afflicted

Judging from what you write eddie,I don´t think batteries will solve anything either.
    Knowing nothing (which I did when I wrote it) it eliminates a couple of things.If the buzz stays the same,you know it is not the power supply or a ground loop.

P.S. The current consumption of the TR-2 stock is 17 mA and the DS-1 4 mA.
    I am not familiar with the mods,but if it doesn´t say in the mod instructions that the pedals no longer can run on batteries,I would assume they could.

9. limbe

limbe Tele-Afflicted

If by stack batteries you mean running them in parallel to get more current/make them last longer,you can do it in a pedal.Running them in series,getting 18 volt is not something I would do in a pedal made for running on 9 volt,but I don´t think you meant that either.

10. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Have you contacted Monte about this? He would want to know if this is a problem with his mods. He's always been great with me if I had a problem (or even just a question) about something.

11. TheSmokingMan

TheSmokingMan Banned

The easiest choice is true bypass looper. The clickless true bypass mod from mammoth electronics is what I would install. Finding some other solution to the tr-2 bleedthru is also probably out there

12. Flatfoot

Flatfoot Tele-Meister

No Codamedia, I have not, and that's probably the first thing I should have done. I just thought this might be the kind of problem that someone on the forum had experienced before. I had occasion to contact Monte one time before and he was great!

13. limbe

limbe Tele-Afflicted

I agree with you SmokingMan.A true bypass box should do the trick.It should not be necessary though.Suave Eddie has the same problem with a TR-2 that hasn´t been modified which puzzles me even more.

14. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

Well I wasn't entirely sure which way to do it but you have clarified it for me! Parallel!! I thought it might help with the stacked op amp issue.

15. Flatfoot

Flatfoot Tele-Meister

OK, I contacted Monte and he told me that it is an issue with the power/current. He said that the pedal will work with one of the stacked op-amps removed and he instructed me to do just that. I removed one of the op-amps, and sure enough, it eliminated the noise completely. I really don't hear any noticeable difference in tone after going to one op-amp - someone with better ears than mine might disagree. At any rate, I am happy for now, as my pedal is quiet again.

Just curious, though?.....how many of you think that a better regulated power supply would fix the issue and still allow the use of the stacked op-amps???

16. cctsim

cctsim TDPRI Member

I don't know what the Monte mod changes but the TR-2 has potentially the same problem as the SD-1, that is "wet signal bleeding" through the JFET transistor Q1.

Does the mod change anything around Q1, like C1, C3 or R2 or R5 ?

If you've change C3 check if you installed it with the correct polarity too.

17. suave eddie

What is most frustrating to me is that my issue is intermittent. I plugged it back into my board last week and it was fine--I actually did a gig with no problems.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.