Troublemaker Tele Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by AntigonesAncestor, Jul 3, 2020.

1. AntigonesAncestor

AntigonesAncestor TDPRI Member

Hey all,

I'm looking to build my first ever partscaster and I've predictably enough hit a more or less immediate hurdle. My goal is to end up with a Troublemaker Tele with a sunburst finish and p90 pickups but I'm having a hard time finding a body that suits that project (no string-through holes, rear cavities routed, &c.) Does anyone have experience with this kind of project or know of a place that I could source this body? I'd love to do it myself but I don't really have access to the grade of equipment that I would need to do this properly.

2. Dougsguitarland

Dougsguitarland TDPRI Member

Went to catholic school with nuns! real nuns!! and they would tell you cant is not a word. do not want too or too lazy too is more appropriate. you have friends family a pocket knife start carving. why p90s pickups. I only say this with a smile. if you do it yourself it will make you so much better of a guitarist.

3. AntigonesAncestor

Sure, that's an option. I'd prefer to avoid that to ensure a professional-looking finished product. As far as why p90s, I just don't have one in my lineup. I've got a CV 50s Tele, a Wilshire, and a Les Paul-style guitar so I have singles and humbuckers covered.

4. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Something to consider.
    You can buy at Rondomusic.com a Tele with P90’s for about $150. Then you can level, crown, and polish the frets, replace the electronics if you want to, and the tuners if you want to, refinish it if you want to. You have to do all those things if you build a parts caster from scratch. A plain body and a decent neck with cost you around $150.
    But if you like the paint, and tuners, wiring etc, then you save the time and money and effort.
    Just a thought, if you new to assembling guitars then perhaps you can pick and chose what you want to tackle and skip the things you don’t.
    Good luck,

5. AntigonesAncestor

Oh, definitely an option! I'm trying to go full partscaster on this one and their model is (understandably) configured for a more traditional control-plate system whereas I'm trying to go for a 4-knob surface-mount configuration. I'll keep that in mind as a backup if the whole thing comes up bust though.

6. Dougsguitarland

Dougsguitarland TDPRI Member

I'm the same way. What I realized about guitars is If I want a type guitar I will just make what I want. I do not like making guitar necks so go to a pawn shop and buy a cheap guitar. I take the parts I want off it and try to think of something cool to do with the rest. My father always told me do not be afraid of messing something up. do not be afraid to try. I have gotten some of my best designs from the mistakes I have made. You are 20 and have a lot of living to do. Be true to your word that is all you have. No won will meet you halfway. No one owes you anything. Life is about living so take your favorite guitar out and crake the amp up and play the thing.

7. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I had to look up what a "troubmaker tele" was. It appears to be a mahogany body with twin humbuckers, 2V2T controls with a pup selector in the upper bass bout, big fat head (strat maybe?),block fretboard markers, it looks like a mahogany neck, and interestingly, a ToM and stop bar.

While that might be an interesting guitar to build (and it will have some funky geometry) I don't have any idea where you will find a body to build a parts caster out of. Oh, and you want it sunburst when it comes to you?

Lots of folks could probably build you a body and an neck, I don't think you are going to find one on someones shelf.

DrASATele likes this.
  8. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

9. AntigonesAncestor

I don't need it to be finished in sunburst, I intend to do that myself. The more input I get the more it seems I'm going to have to figure out a way to rout a blank myself.

10. Freeman Keller

May I humbly suggest that you make a list of all of the requirements. Woods, pickups, controls, pickguard, bridge (and tailpiece), neck configuration level of finish that you want delivered you. Decide what you can do and want to do. What are your finishing skills and expectations? What do you expect in a neck?

The "troublemaker" that I found with a quick search is a whole lot different from a normal tele (and a bit different from what you describe) but it certainly can be done.

11. AntigonesAncestor

That's a solid suggestion, I'll get all of that together over the weekend and post when I think I have a handle on it. As far as finish, this would be my first foray into it but I'm going to do a ton of test blanks before I ever touch the guitar itself.

With respect to necks, I think I'm just going to buy one already finished and bolt it on. I'm doing more legwork on this build than anything else I've attempted and I'd just as soon try and make some necks on their own before I try to support a project on the strength of my (totally nonexistent) neck-making skills.

12. ctmullins

ctmullins Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

This Korina HH is a Warmoth body, ordered without finish. Was about $250 if I recall. I put Tru-Oil on it.

Warmoth makes a quality product.

[​IMG]

13. AntigonesAncestor

That's gorgeous! I think I'm going to try and build the body myself (gotta start at some point, y'know?) But if that falls through then Warmouth is looking increasingly like the way to go.

ctmullins likes this.
  14. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Freeman and CT are right, Warmoth might be the only purchase option for what you want.

The hardest part about this build for you maybe doing an angled neck pocket, the rest is fairly simple provided you have access to some necessary tools & templates.

I'll have to get a pic or 2 up I have 2 of these going, both of them are double cutaway Tele's. One with white walnut back and another with an afro mahogany back and both have Curly Spalted maple tops. It's a fun build so far.

Good Luck!

15. Freeman Keller

DrASATele likes this.
  16. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Meister

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=303104372269

Crane designs will route any way you require. Very reasonable prices and great quality. Here is a Strat style they did for me. Chechen over Cherry with neck heel contour. The body was so perfect I lightly "de-whiskered" it with a scotchbrite, wiped it down and applied a 3 coat Watco Danish Oil finish followed by Watco Danish Oil Wax. No stains, colorants or grain filler.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  17. AntigonesAncestor

That's an absolutely stunning body... another supplier to check out for sure. Thanks to everyone for all your help, hopefully I'll be able to start a build progress thread soon.

18. pi

pi TDPRI Member

Warmoth makes great bodies and necks.

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Meister

One observation from experience ... If you go with a tune-o-matic style bridge you will need additional neck angle (angled neck pocket floor) or route a recess in the body for the bridge. A regular old Strat hardtail (string through or top-loader) makes for an easier build.

DrASATele and Mr. Neutron like this.
  20. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

IMG_8657.JPG
    Alright I said I would gar a pic of the 2 Troublemaker like bodies. Left is 3 piece white walnut with a spalted maple top, right is 3 piece afro mahogany also with a splated maple top. Both Tops were part of the same 2 1/4 thick block

IMG_8697.JPG

I posted this last pic because of the comments above all of these need angles. The far left will need about 4 because the top will be carved. The 2 Tele oddities have flat tops and will only need 2. Not difficult to do if you make jig or 2 depending on what method you go with. For the Tele's I have shims or ski's that elevate the template to the 2 degrees.

maple, hemingway and Jim_in_PA like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.