Troublemaker Neck Angle?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by tkdcal, Jun 16, 2019.

1. tkdcal

tkdcal TDPRI Member

I'm thinking about building a tele-esq thing with a trapeze tailpiece and a tune-o-matic bridge. Looks like the troublemaker has a TOM, but I assume they've angled the neck back to get the action down when using that bridge. Anybody know what that angle might be?

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Gibson guitars with slab bodies and tunematics get about a 2 degree angle. Carved top LP style guitars get about a 4 degree angle. It kind of depends on how far the fretboard is elevated off the flat surface though. Some 70's SG's had tunematics with no neck angle, but sat higher than other SG's that came before or after.

You would be wise to draw out a side profile view and get the angle that way. You should have the parts in front of you to measure too.

http://forum.metropoulos.net/viewtopic.php?t=20747

Off the top of my head, the tunematic is about 5/8" tall vs a tele bridge which is about 3/8" tall.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    tkdcal and bender66 like this.
  3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

Exactly as Marty says. It totally depends on the bridge, the amount of overstand AND the angle - there is no set angle that will work. Here is a ToM sitting on some little blocks that emulate the studs and adjusters, the guitar is a standard tele with no angle.

IMG_3654.JPG

IMG_3656.JPG

Just as you surmise, it doesn't work without some angle

Here is a ToM on a carved top that is 1/4 inch above the edges in the center. It has no overstand and the angle is 2 degrees

IMG_1955.JPG

Here is a ToM on a LP style guitar that is 3/8 inch above the edges. I also has no overstand and the angle is 3-1/2 degrees

IMG_0653.JPG

Also there are some differences in the height of ToM's depending on the type of stud and adjuster they have, but in general they are about 5/8 at their lowest adjustment to the top.

One other minor thing - most ToM's are 12 inch fixed radius which may not work too well with Fender necks. There are also some very slight differences in string spacing, however many ToM's come unslotted so you can select your own.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    tkdcal likes this.
  4. Freeman Keller

And last thought about ToM's - if you are using one with a trapeze tailpiece on a flat topped guitar make sure you have enough break angle at the bridge. Trapeze tailpieces are most commonly seen on arched topped guitars

IMG_4547-3.jpg

IMG_4548.JPG

tkdcal, nnieman and Zepfan like this.
  5. tkdcal

tkdcal TDPRI Member

Sound advice. Thanks guys.

6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’m building a Tele-Duo Jet (still), and 3 degrees worked for me. I’m not using a TOM, but a Tru-Arc, with a Bigsby B16 but same difference. It’s a flat top, and I have other requirements so it has to be precise.

My other B16 Tele (also flat top) has the metal shim and it’s about 3 degrees as well, and a little bit of vertical elevation. This gives me about 1.0” of bridge height, and about 8.5 degrees of break angle. A TOM would fit easily.

On Jazzmasters and Jag, I use a 1 degree shim, and the bridge height will only accommodate a TOM slammed...so 2 to 3 degrees seems optimal. I bet the Troublemaker has similar angled neck pocket.

82733F45-0856-4003-9860-14CE8BC33495.jpeg

zippofan and tkdcal like this.
  7. spartan warrior

spartan warrior Tele-Meister

On my Tele bodied guitar, fitted with a Schaller wrap over type bridge, I routed the neck pocket with a 2.5° back angle.

I arrived at 2.5° by laying out my design on CAD. The actual value was 2.489374°, but I figured that 2.5° was close enough :)

This worked well and gave me a neck that sat nice an low in the pocket, which is what I was after.

The accompanying photos include the routing template that I used, which is simply a piece of MDF with tapered wooden wedges glued to the underside.

Tele body - 5.jpg Tele body - 12.jpg Tele body - 11.jpg

tkdcal likes this.
  8. Freeman Keller

Here is one more. Warmoth Jagstang body and neck (normal Fender zero degree pocket and overstand) with a Kahler bridge. Neck required a 0.5 degree shim to get the geometry to work out.

IMG_5093.JPG

zippofan and Jim_in_PA like this.
  9. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Meister

Sand blasted the body? That looks great!

10. Freeman Keller

I can't take credit for that, the owner took a wire brush to it. He brought two of them to me to have the bridge cavity routed and do the wiring and setup

IMG_5074.JPG

My point for the OP was that these guitars were built by Warmoth for one bridge, whatever Jagstangs had originally, but in order to install the Kahlers we had to kick the neck angle up just a bit. A half degree shim from StewMac combined with the normal Fender overstand was just enough.

Jim_in_PA likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.