1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Trouble shooting dead usb interface

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by NorthenLights, Mar 1, 2021.

1. NorthenLights

NorthenLights Tele-Meister

A while ago, I tried to fire up my old Dmx Fire6 usb soundcard to do some recording. It didn't work. There appears to be some blue LEDs shining, but appart from them it does nothing, and neither my PC nor my mac can find when connected through the usb port. It's just been lying in a cupboard the last couple of years.
    I've disassembled the unit to look for any signs of fried components, but everthing looks clean.

Any suggestions for where to go from here? I guess I could always just gut it for parts, but it would be nice to actually repair it my self.

2. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I am guessing you will need to install the newest driver you can find for the card. That is likely why it isn't being recognized.

Make sure you are using a powered USB outlet if the card requires it. Not all USB outlets are "hot".

getbent and Digital Larry like this.
  3. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

Boreas and 24 track like this.
  4. NorthenLights

Already tried installing drivers, but that didn't do anything. Besides, I don't remember having to do that last time I used it. Then it was just plug and play.

5. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Does the usb work with other devices?? Thumb drives? If anything else works with the same usb, it isn't likely a usb problem. When you look at Device Manager, does it show any flags on the usb controllers? Sound, Video, and Game controllers? If you are showing flags for the usb, those drivers will need to be re-installed.

You may need to completely uninstall the driver and all software for the board, reboot, then re-install it with the CD if you haven't done so already. Then go online and see if there are any available driver/software/firmware upgrades. Have you tried installing the card on a different computer?

What OS are you using? You may need to run it in compatibility mode. Did it ever work on THIS computer and OS?

May be some help here, but I wouldn't count on it:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...und-card/df372ad7-fd06-4816-b09e-425ae7dbdcf3

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  6. NorthenLights

Thanks for trying to help guys, but I know how to trouble shoot computers, it's electronics that I'm s noob with. I've already tried different computers, made sure the usb connects to other devices, made sure the cable is working etc. The problem must lie with the unit itself. I was hoping to get some pointers as to where yo begin. Are there any comnon problems that occur in sound cards, such as failing capacitors, transformers etc?

7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

If it has an external ("wall wart") power supply, test it to make sure it's delivering the proper voltage and current.

If it has an internal power supply, use a bright light and magnification to examine the electrolytic caps in the power supply. These smoothing caps go high resistance as they dry out through years of thermal cycles. Look for bulging or leaking. Replace any that look funny.

8. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

I had a USB oscilloscope that sort of did the same thing. It was all SMT inside so the chance of fixing it was very small and not worth it to me to even try to diagnose (esp without a scope!). I threw it away.

9. nathan5782

nathan5782 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have a Lexicon Omega USB interface and there was a known problem for that sometimes not being recognized by the PC. There was a heat sink which was next to a ribbon cable and it would get the cable too hot so one of the fixes was to wrap the ribbon cable with electrical tape, it did help get it working. I have no idea how your interface is put together but that was something that fixed a different usb interface.

10. DugT

DugT Tele-Afflicted

Did you check the USB connector for belly button lint? Lint loves anything that is an inny and it can be surprisingly challenging to get it all out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.