Triple'Tron! (Warmoth Thinline Content)

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Verne Bunsen, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

This is my Warmoth '72 Thinline loaded with Lollar'Trons:

[​IMG]

I'd like to tell you the story of how I turned it into what it is now: TRIPLE'TRON.

I wasn't entirely certain that a third pickup would fit without exposing the route, but some quick and dirty measurements and little scientific guesswork left me with high hopes. It was pretty clear that the pickguard mounting screw between the pickups would have to go. I didn't want an empty hole there, so I contacted Mary at Terrapin Guitars, from whom I have bought many pickguards over the years, and she made me one to Warmoth spec with a middle pickup route and no top/center mounting screw hole. I also bought another Lollar'Tron as it was equally critical to the project. By the way, three Lollar'Trons purchased a year or so apart does not qualify you for a bulk discount. A guy has to ask though.

[​IMG]

This shows exactly how much room I have to play with between the pickup frame and the edge of the pickguard. Plenty.

[​IMG]

I marked the location of the pickup mounting holes and used that to establish where I would start my route. I scored the finish with a razor blade to ward against finish chipping.

[​IMG]

I went ahead and drilled holes for the mounting screws all the way to depth. The screws are longer than the floor of the route is deep and will need a place to recess. You can also see where that pickguard mounting screw hole is in relation to where we are working.

[​IMG]

I prepared the body for routing by applying blue painters tape and then layering double-sided tape on that. A router template was then affixed to the double-sided tape.

[​IMG]

Yeah, it's a spring cavity template, but it fit the bill.

[​IMG]

And 30 minutes of sheer terror later:

[​IMG]

Here is the pickup situated in its new berth. Seems a very comfortable fit. The little guy in the red circle is the evidence of the time the router tried to kill me. Well, one of the times. It was more exciting than what it looks like.

[​IMG]

And the final fit check: route vs pickguard.

[​IMG]

Looks good!

The pickguard is wired up with a Strat 5-Way and a push/pull that adds the neck pickup to position 1 and 2, turning Bridge and Bridge+Middle into Bridge+Neck and All-Three respectively.

[​IMG]

While I find the CTS DPDT push/pulls to be a bit of a pain to work with, these SPST units are really sweet. Simple but effective and perfect for an application like this one.

[​IMG]

Three Trons is a pretty good look...

[​IMG]

I had to enlarge the pickup mounting screw recess holes a bit to give myself some play, but otherwise the pickguard went on with no more futzing than usual.

[​IMG]

Feast your eyes upon: TRIPLE'TRON!

[​IMG]

I'm really thrilled with the results. The highlight so far is the All-Three option. Man it is a beautiful, round, bell-like sort of thing that just slays me. I have a Strat wired similarly and the All-Three option there is just OK. Here, it is straight magic. I intend to capture some audio samples, I will post them when I do.

Thanks for following along!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah!

Verne Bunsen likes this.
  3. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@Verne Bunsen - it's a pleasure to look at such careful/tidy work.

Peace - Deeve

Skydog1010 and Verne Bunsen like this.
  4. Verne Bunsen

Thanks guys!

5. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nice work. I'd have gone with a nice celluloid tort on a burst but that black looks fine.

@Mike Simpson has been down this road.

Verne Bunsen likes this.
  6. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

That thing’s a beast! Neat work and I look forward to the clips.

Verne Bunsen likes this.
  7. Verne Bunsen

Thanks! I had not considered tortoise on this body. I kind of think the matte black is just right. I have a tortoise guard on my Honey Blond Nashville, and I've always thought that tortoise looked great on Sonic Blue, doesn't do it for me on a burst though.

I'm not familiar with Mike Simpson, although clicking on his name tells me he's right up the road from me. Maybe it's something in the Southern AZ air? I'd be interested to have a look at the project of his that you are referring to if you have a link.

8. Verne Bunsen

Thanks, it is a beast indeed! I'm fixing to head out of town for work for a bit so it will probably be a spell before I get audio recorded and posted, but it is on my short list and will be forthcoming.

9. teleaddicted

teleaddicted Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/cabronita-pickups-classics-vs-powertrons.699968/page-4#post-9267614

10. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

4154F6E4-4743-46E4-9AEE-E366D17DD95C.jpeg

drlucky, rauchman, JeffBlue and 4 others like this.
  11. Verne Bunsen

I love it! Maybe we should start a "Tele with 3 Trons and a Bigsby" owners club? The Jag-style switching is a nice touch. Did you do that finish?

Mike Simpson likes this.
  12. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I like the work you and Mr. Simpson do with the triple trons. I have never owned filtertrons before, could be good to try. Here's my 3 pickup thinline with a custom sound hole rout.
    IMG_0202.JPG IMG_0230-2.JPG
    Warmoth Black Korina body capped with Padouk, sound hole cut by me, bill Lawrence dual blade neck, Seymour Duncan Vintage P90 middle and Jerry Donahue in the bridge, Warmoth roasted Maple neck, Rosewood fretboard and stainless steel frets.

Verne Bunsen and rauchman like this.
  13. Verne Bunsen

Nice! I want to say I’ve seen that guitar around on the Warmoth forum. Nice work on the sound hole. Did you finish the body yourself after cutting the hole or did you cut the hole in the finished body?

JeffBlue likes this.
  14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

With the price of Lollar’Trons at best I’d build an Esquire!

15. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Thank you kind sir. I ordered the thinline body unfinished and cut the sound hole before the finish. Every time I plug this guitar in, I am thrilled about hearing the tone and playability.

Verne Bunsen likes this.
  16. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

This triple P90 guitar I made in 2010 was my #1 for many years.

img00356a.jpg

Jim_in_PA, JeffBlue and Verne Bunsen like this.
  17. Verne Bunsen

Funny story. This guitar started out as a pretty inexpensive proposition: I built it out of guitar parts that I already had laying about. Slowly over a period of time it has ended up with the most expensive neck I ever bought (birds eye on flamed mahogany), the bridge is custom, and as you mention the pickups are not inexpensive. Pound-for-pound it’s probably my most expensive guitar by now.

If you are interested, the whole thing is documented here:
    https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=28980.0

18. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

That looks great!

Verne Bunsen likes this.
  19. Verne Bunsen

Thanks! Unless you were referring to one of the other guitars that have been posted, in which case I agree with you!

20. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

Lol, I was specifically referencing yours, but yeah the others look great too

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.