Triple P90 Specs?

TX_Slinger

Tele-Holic
Aside from "whatever sounds good," any rules of thumb on output levels in a 3-P90 setup? Different pickup makers (those that even have a triple set) list different configs. Some list the same output as bridge for their middle position, others have the same (lower) as the neck. And then some makers have virtually identical output for bridge/neck on a 2-P90 set... Argghh.. seems that you usually just want the middle position on any guitar to complement but not wash out the bridge/neck pickups so you'd want lower output, am I wrong? Remember this is P90's so we're talking chimney cleans to bluesy crunch, nothing extreme.

ftbtx

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Hi,
Are you going with soap bars or dog ears? The triple P0s setups I have used all had nearly the same spec for all three with soap bars and I used pickup height to balance them out. I think you'd be fine with a hotter bridge too.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
probably not any rule of thumb .... unless I'm mistaken original P90's are all the same spec regardless. I guess everyone else does their own thing to make them different and what they feel works best.

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
Three volume knobs is the rule.
2fc70cd077e990f90fcbcab75023609c.jpg

s-l1000.jpg

(not my guitars)

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Ya, look up specs for the old firebird layout.
They did it right. I think they may have
also added in 50s wiring to roll off bass

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I wouldn't overthink it. Strats used identical pickups in all 3 positions for 25-30 years. It's a matter of dialing in the heights for balance. On yours, you could do the same. IMO using different pickups per position might produce the results you want, but isn't necessary.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
The old Gibson Switchmasters and some other Gibsons had non identical pickups, or a low wind Neck pup in single pup guitars. I think the neck was 6.5k ohms? Bridge about 8k ohms.
I had 3 identical Gibson P90's in my P90 Strat though, it was fine that way. ~7.8 ohms.

TX_Slinger

Tele-Holic
If all the same spec then i can mix n match, might help getting cost down if i can pick up separately. I mean a hotter modern one for bridge and maybe a vintage Gibson for neck. I don't gig and even the cheap ones in my guitar aren't noisy or RWRP so finding that isn't an issue.

TX_Slinger

Tele-Holic
Three volume knobs is the rule.
2fc70cd077e990f90fcbcab75023609c.jpg

s-l1000.jpg

(not my guitars)
Uh...yeah...not doing that lol. So here's what I did. Ordered three P90's which I think all originate from Artec in Korea, the neck and bridge under one brand and the middle under another, with the following specs:

Neck Alnico V 5.9k,
Middle Alnico II 8.0k,
Bridge Alnico V 8.1k

Will be fun to swap out the middle and neck with each other...

TX_Slinger

Tele-Holic
Any suggestions on this placement? Won't be hard to switch later but concerned the A2 at 8k in the middle might do more than "complement" the neck PU.

Neck Alnico V 5.9k,
Middle Alnico II 8.0k,
Bridge Alnico V 8.1k

TX_Slinger

Tele-Holic
Went with this arrangement. The V's are the premium Korean made Wilkinsons with silver baseplates and the neck is a GuitarMadness, which has the baseplate that looks like some of the Gibsons with some sort of brass or plated steel. Tons more clarity than what i think were ceramic P90's in there previously.

Neck Alnico II 8.0kV ,
Middle Alnico 5.9k,
Bridge Alnico V 8.1k