1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Triple Footswitch minus a footswitch?

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by ChipOnly, Nov 2, 2020.

1. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Tele-Holic

Hey guys, I'm pretty clueless and would appreciate any help you could offer. I'm not even sure what I want to do is possible.

I have a spare dual footswitch that I want to rewire to perform the up (Ring) and down (Tip+Ring) functions (no need for mode/Tip) of the EHX triple footswitch, exclusively to switch presets. It's normally open.

I've fooled around with it a couple ways and can't get it to work. Anybody know how I would wire this up? Is there something I'm overlooking and I need that third switch? Thanks in advance!

2. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

OK- I'm definitely not the right person to answer this in terms of theory or real-world troubleshooting. But if you're like me and your ability to solder and willingness to void warranties far exceeds your understanding of electricity:

What I remember from wiring a Switch 3 (not sure if that's the same as EHX triple footswitch, but if it is) is that somewhere in there, there needs to be a diode. Maybe two diodes. So the electrons don't go backward.

There you go! You're welcome :lol:

I hope someone who actually knows what they are talking about can actually expand on that. But from my memory of that project, without the diode(s) you end up being unable to complete both circuits simultaneously so you never get the T+R function to work. Unless you can reprogram the base unit to accept tip, rather than T+R, as down.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.