1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Trio or Trio+?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by BoogerRooger, Mar 3, 2017.

1. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

I'm an inveterate blues noodler, playing at home with backing tracks or a drum machine. I really like the look of the Digitech Trio Band Creator for giving my 12 bar jams a bit more depth. My question is, is it worth paying a load more for the Trio+ over the original version? My needs are pretty simple, a drum and bass backing for some 12 bar improvs. It would be a hassle to get the original, then wish I'd payed for the extra gizmos in the first place but then again, the extra cost is a lot if they are never used. I would be interested if anyone has used both what their thoughts are before I decide. Thanks!

2. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Trio+

The sequencer, ability to hold many songs and the FX loop are worth the extra. The time shift and ability to have different levels of bass are really nice too. I've currently got the + and it is a great leap over the original, which I thought was the dogs danglies at the time.

3. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a Trio+, and for me, I almost never use it without looping something. Also, I sometimes solo over songs that I'd rather just listen to as a loop (with no bass or drums: slow acoustic G-C-D progressions that are fun to just let sink into your brain). So it's kind of fun to have the looper, from my perspective. Of course, if you already have a standalone looper, that might not be as important. But then again, the Trio+ looper syncs to the band, and as someone who isn't a high-precision pedal stomper, I'm pretty sure that's a nice feature. I got rid of my looper when I bought the Trio+, and it's worked just fine for me.

For what it's worth, I'm a total noodler- moderately capable at several things, not especially great at anything in particular- and I think the Trio/Trio+ is cool for that. If you're into getting lost in random types of music (the other day I recorded a really basic Am-E progression over the "Latin" rhythm and just sat and noodled for a few hours- what a way to relax!) it's a blast.

I guess at the end of the day, I feel like there are enough pre-recorded 12-bar backing tracks that if you're 100% blues all day every day, the Trio doesn't really add much over that. In fact, I think it might be more of a hassle to use the Trio than just to play backing track loops.

I think the Trio styles are slightly different than the Trio+ progressions, and the Trio+ has a "simple bass" setting which I use all the time and which I think the regular Trio users often report they wish they had (or maybe it's been updated through firmware? I dunno). Might be good to investigate them? They might make a difference to you.

If you have specific questions, I can try to answer them.

Sailindawg likes this.
  4. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

I like loop function of the trio plus. That being said, I'll sell you my old trio if you're interested. I bought right before the + version came out and decided to try the plus version and just figured I'd keep that one. The regular trio doesn't have much use on it. Let me know if you're interested.

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Trio+. No brainer. Lots of reasons why, so just do it.

6. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

One thing on the +, you got room to expand your capabilities and even build saved back up tracks with intro, verse, chorus, bridge and endings repeated as many times as you choose with the sequencer---and even more! Platefire

7. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds good to me!

Not sure Mrs BR (the Authorities) will see it quite as clearly as that though.

8. Sailindawg

Sailindawg TDPRI Member

I have the original Trio. I combine my digitech jamman looper (the small jamman) with decent results. However, one cannot use the quantize feature of the jamman with the Trio. I can't figure that one out. If you start the stand alone looper & teach the trio, then start the trio at the end of the sequence, the two will usually sync.

The trio now has the firmware upgrade for the simple bass. However, you're not going to get the type of blues rhythm from the trio that you would with a specific backing track.

The trio is good for noodling around. You may not like what you get from the blues rhythms compared to a backing track.

Get the regular trio if you already have a looper & give it a try. If you like it, flip it & get the trio+. If you hate the pedal, then with the first generation trio, you won't be out as much money.

9. tube.tone

tube.tone Tele-Meister

Trio is great, you can add looper of your choice.

10. teleteej

teleteej TDPRI Member

Trio+, fer sure...

11. johnhe

johnhe Tele-Meister

I’m glad I bought the +.

12. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Started with Trio and moved up to the + with no regrets. Recently sold my original Trio. Good for home noodling and making quick demos. It’s perfect backline if you are jamming with another guitar player.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.