Trinity Tramp?

Jackadder

Tele-Holic
I've been looking for a low watt kit amp to replace an Ampmaker N5X and after eyeing off the Mojo Tweed Princeton for ages a late bolter is the Trinity Tramp. The versatility looks well worth the extra dollars.

Appreciate any thoughts on the qualities/drawbacks of the Trinity Tramp from owner/kit builders out there.

Good on you,

Jackadder

DrPepper

Friend of Leo's
I don't currently have any Trinity Stuff, but, Steven sells good stuff... I would like to try one of his tweed kits. His chassis look nice and I think Heyboer winds the transformers for him (as they do for Mojo). Another kit to look at is the Classic 10 by Allen Amps. (it comes in a kit form as well)

The Ballzz

Friend of Leo's
@Jackadder
My first amp build was a Trinity Tramp kit. I've built several others since and would have to say you'd be better off with the Mojo Tweed Princeton or their 5E3 Deluxe. While Trinity offers some interesting products and have a fairly large, happy, fan base, I would not put that "Jack of many trades, master of none" Tramp anywhere near the top of their list. The pots are Bournes (hate them), all sounds in both 6V6 and 6L6 wattage modes were "almost" cool, but not quite there and the VVR, or whatever acronym they use, crapped out a couple months in. It's since been raped for parts and the iron has found different homes! I do recall however that the kit was extremely well laid out and documented, with no missing parts.

Just My $.02,
Gene

The Ballzz

Friend of Leo's
@Jackadder
And oh yeah, FWIW, the 5E3 Deluxe that I built mostly from a MojoTone "small parts kit" is still one of may main, go to amps! Made my own turret board and sourced my own transformers. I did end up getting the chassis and cab from them also, just at different times, on sale. It's got a Pre-Rola Greenback for a speaker! Glorious little monster, especially with a good attenuator!
Just Tweedin' Deluxely,
Gene

IMG_1120.JPG
IMG_1122.JPG

Gene

Jackadder

Tele-Holic
Thanks, Gene. The 5E3 was definitely in the mix, lucky I haven't had the money to splash because I keep changing my tiny mind every other week.

I'm after something just for the bedroom. Currently using a Super Champ X2 through 2x10 greenbacks but of late the amp sometimes powers up but with no sound. It's a concern. The 15W SC is too loud at '3' so an attenuated 5E3 would definitely fit the bill.

Tweed Deluxe, Tweed Princeton, Vibro Champ, Princeton Reverb....your earlier post confirmed my suspicions about the Tramp, so scratching that from the list. I really like the look of the Karma 20T but bit out of my price range.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

thechad

Tele-Holic
I’m very happy with my tramp:
upload_2021-4-21_20-21-10.jpeg

It was my first time soldering anything so I wanted something with good support and instructions. Trinity delivered 110% on that. I found the quality of the components to be very good.
I built this amp with home practice and recording in mind. I find the voltage regulator very handy for that purpose. Oddly enough shortly after I built this amp I found a group of guys to jam with and this became my main amp at practice. So it can keep up in that way as well. It takes pedals extremely good, better than any other amp I have. And that’s just going in the front.

is it the right amp for you? Hard to answer that, but I would 100% recommend it based on my experience.

No457 Snowy

Tele-Meister
Another Tramp owner here. I've been very happy with my Tramp from Trinity. I Built it about 9 years ago now I guess and it still sounds great and I love playing through it, I run mine with a 6L6GC tube. Trinity was a pleasure to deal with, I can't speak highly enough of Stephen, the owner and my build went without a hitch. Back when I built it I did a fairly detailed documentation my build with lots of pics on the Trinity forum. -> https://www.trinityamps.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3188
Good luck with whatever direction you decided to go with your build, have fun and enjoy it.

Jackadder

Tele-Holic
Thanks, Snowy. I did read your Tramp build thread when researching various kits... in the end I went with a 5e3 Mojo small parts kit and chassis from ampmart. Got some beaut celery top pine for the cab and a Jensen P12Q on the slow road from the east.

I'll put up a build thread once it's under way.

Randwulf

TDPRI Member
I've been looking for a low watt kit amp to replace an Ampmaker N5X and after eyeing off the Mojo Tweed Princeton for ages a late bolter is the Trinity Tramp. The versatility looks well worth the extra dollars.

Appreciate any thoughts on the qualities/drawbacks of the Trinity Tramp from owner/kit builders out there.

Good on you,

Jackadder
Working on a Tramp kit right now ( I noticed you went with another kit ) as my second build....my first was a Triton kit ( Champ clone ) and it turned out so well I decided to try the Tramp. My buddy "borrowed" my Triton after I was finished and has been playing it two to three hours everyday since and loves it ( he's a very gifted player )....anyway having large hands I found that build rather difficult at times but I took my time and it fired up first time. It's absolutely quiet and all my guitars ( I have 28 ) sound amazing through it! I like it just as much as my custom built 5e3 that I had a local amp tech build for me ( I built my own cab out of wild cherry ) but the parts and instructions and customer service were all first rate. The Tramp build is about half done and easy peasy compared to the Triton.....my kit has alpha pots I guess some parts are subject to availability but all the parts are top notch in my kit. Only things missing were a 300K resistor and a brass set screw from a chickenhead knob which are on their way....anyway, instructions are good, layout is good, and Stephen is very helpful and quick to respond to any queries and issues . That's a pic of my Triton, I built the cab with just hand tools lol!
IMG_5212.JPG
IMG_5116.JPG