Tried to trim the herd....failed

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Milspec, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I had decided that this was going to be the week that I de-clutter my life a bit. I rented a roll-off and have been cleaning out my garage and basement to finally get things back to a more simple life like when I first moved into this house 20 years ago.

Feeling like I was making progress, I decided it was time to finally trim the herd and sell off my amplifiers except for maybe 2 of the best ones. The problem was deciding on which were the survivors?

I was very fortunate about 10 years ago to be making pretty good money self-employed that I took advantage of deals when they came along. Working on people's homes, you tend to come across a lot of gear just sitting in closets for decades that you can still buy at a good price. Such was the case for 5 amplifiers. Most were purchased from the original owners.

I decided to just sit down and play them one after the other to pick the winning two.

Brownface Princeton clone: Brilliant amp, who could ask for more? Love it, it is a keeper.
    Twin Reverb: Great reverb, great cleans, good spank...love it, it is a keeper
    '65 Bassman: Throaty growl tone with nice cleans...great, it is a keeper
    '64 Bandmaster modded to quad 6v6: Super smooth tone, does it all, might be the best one.
    Fralin VVT combo: Bright, clean, great reverb...sort of a low powerd Twin...great.

Oh, crap, no way I can pick winners. I swear it is like deciding if you would rather lose your sight or your hearing? Clearly this was never going to happen. I always say that you should never love something that can't love you back, but I just couldn't cast off any of these amps.

Damn internet!! I would have been happy for life with any of the above amps if I never played the others, but now that they are in the room, I can't seem to get rid of them either. Not exactly a bad problem to have I guess, but sometimes I wish I never had internet so I wouldn't get into these situations....especially when that business is gone and I make very little in comparison these days.

Rant over...need to get back to the garage

Mike SS, BobbyZ, nojazzhere and 5 others like this.
  2. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Those amps love you back every time you play through them.;)

3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

That's a nice problem to have Milspec.
    Maybe get rid of an extra amount of Mrs.spec's stuff to compensate for keeping all of them.

... just brainstorming here...

4. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Never ever play anything once you've decided to sell it! Fatal flaw of the thinning-the-herd plan!

5. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Those are all keepers !! Don't let em go !!

Milspec likes this.
  6. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Well, you tried...

Milspec likes this.
  7. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

That my friend was the correct answer...never play them after the decision was made.

Sort of reminds me of the time I gave my 2 neices a box of puppies for Christmas. My brother hates pets (that's why I delivered them puppies) and helped his kids name each one so that there wasn't a chance in hell that he would be able to get rid of any of them without a fight. It is a long story, but let's just say he had it coming.

RodeoTex, bftfender and corliss1 like this.
  8. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I am suffering from the same syndrome. Part of it is dealing with shipping heavy amps. If I sell local I will probably sell
    at a loss. If I sell on Reverb then I have to deal with shipping and possibility of dealing with a return if the buyer isn't satisfied.

Milspec likes this.
  9. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Yes, that is part of the problem. Of course you might get lucky on Reverb and find a local buyer if you are in a large enough market. I bought a Victoria 5112 that way and the seller was able to avoid shipping.

10. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have a (possible) solution for you, heh. Get a *good* ABY pedal.

Why? I love all my amps, and when I play them one at a time, I revel in their wonderfully different tones and vibes and styles.

Then I plug in the ABY pedal and find, taken two at a time, most of them aren't really that different. D'oh. Stupid ABY pedal.

Milspec and RadioFM74 like this.
  11. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

AND you’re getting rid of plenty of OTHER stuff. In fact, you may just have made room for MORE amps. ;)

Mr Scallywag, Milspec and King Fan like this.
  12. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I do have an ABY pedal...rarely used it, but that is an idea. None of these amps are vastly different sounding, just subtle differences really (tremolo vs reverb for example) but it is those differences that cause me to be so indecisive.

Jim622 likes this.
  13. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Oh man, don't suggest that....

RadioFM74 likes this.
  14. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Whaddya think about that Bandmaster with 4 x 6V6? I've thought of doing that for outdoor gigs. Any issues pop up with that?

15. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

OK, how about this? My son-in-law is a starving musician (well, hard-working and honest, on a very tight budget). I was about to give him a nice amp I'd fallen out of love with but then I put in a new speaker and fell back in love.

Try putting bad speakers in the amps you're thinking of getting rid of. Really bad speakers...

16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

No one's yet mentioned what I think is the obvious solution.....a bigger house. If all the gear is SPREAD OUT more, it will APPEAR to be less cluttered. Just be sure Mrs.Spec gets her share of the extra space.....:)

King Fan likes this.
  17. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Only 5 amps, most all classics of their era. Not much fat to trim from that herd

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Steve 78 likes this.
  18. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Or just go with a Voodoo Labs amps switcher, does four amps at once or one at a time.
    Because in the end you ain't gonna sell any anyway so you might as well be able to use four at once. :)

King Fan, Erdowonge and corliss1 like this.
  19. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

This might be a good exercise. Write the thread of how bad you miss the amp you sold back in July of 2019 and post it. We will play along and sympathize and add our anecdotal stories but don’t sell anything! Talk about having it all!!!;)
    We are here to help.

BobbyZ likes this.
  20. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted

Five doesn't seem excessive. Enjoy them!

BobbyZ likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.