Tried the tone Master Twin Reverb today...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dickey, Feb 6, 2020.

1. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

Interesting. I'd be curious what any new Twin Reverb might sound like next to that 1993 example.

I'd also be curious to see how both of those amps sound compared to the real real thing -- for instance, the mid-60s Twins Fender used in developing these new digital homages.

2. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

They cost 1k.... Hardly less than a tube. 5-600 and I would be interested.

3. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

I have a 72 twin with jbls. Was hoping for a solid state miracle. Wasn't about to drag my amp to store to compare but I might consider swapping mine with the 93 RI they had. It sounded great!

4. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

Wow — sounds like you found a winner.

5. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Yikes. Don’t blame China if Fender asks them to build lower quality. They build it to whatever level Fender asks for.

Iago and Ignatius like this.
  6. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Hmm...I wonder if the speakers in the '93 TRRI might have been broken in a bit? :)

...Also have to wonder if the speakers have been replaced at some point in the last 27 years, too.

Just the speaker differences alone could make it a bit of apples to oranges. Jes sayin'...

Pcs264, Iago and jwp2 like this.
  7. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

I love how folks get their shrits all bumched over Chinese production as if it's a patriotic tower to guard...

It's Americans that are contracting/sending production to china... Think about that.

Largely the same group that turns around and stokes the flames of nationalism, xenophobic fears, and the value of 'murican production.

:lol:

IrishBread69, Jakedog, Iago and 4 others like this.
  8. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Thank you for this. Sometimes I get the feeling that there are those who still picture China as a bunch of people on bicycles and rickshaws everywhere like the movies from 40-50 years ago might show.

IrishBread69, Pcs264, Jakedog and 2 others like this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have a Phil Jones amp, so I was cruising YouTube for videos about the company and came across a 2011 tour of their Chinese factory. It's nicer than where I work :cry:

Ignatius and Jakedog like this.
  10. Riff Robin

Riff Robin TDPRI Member

Hi...im between a TMT and TDeluxe..my question is the the Twin still sparkel THE SAME when you lower the wattage (which is really just a master volume right?...i mean you cant attenuate tubes if there are no tubes.)
    If it still stays exactly the same clean at a lower vol, then i would get it instead of the DR. I know on my katana and others, when you reduce the wattage, there is a slight dullness that comes in...some of the highs go away and those setting are not usable for Chet style or the like. So does the Twin do the same thing or is it just quieter?

11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

12. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

That’s all about importing products into the US (the largest market for Fender) from Mexico (largely) tariff- and tax-free under NAFTA 2. If ‘most’ of the assembly and value added is in MX, then it qualifies. It’s a backdoor to save money (and to avoid environmental regulations, labor laws, safety regulations, etc., etc.).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    rocksmoot and Bluey like this.
  13. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have heard from multiple reviews that the TM's sound flat at first, but come alive as the speaker breaks in...that could account for the difference you were hearing...I can't say either way since I don't know the history of either amp you played, but it is worth considering.

14. C-RAM

C-RAM NEW MEMBER!

Know what's probably not made in China? Your fine China.

15. MrWiggly

MrWiggly TDPRI Member

I've owned both a Tone Master Twin and a Deluxe. Love them both and being an old timer and having worked in music stores a lot I've played more than my fair share of vintage Fender amps. I first got the Twin version when they were initially shipping. The light weight was a big factor. I was prepared to make some allowances in tone if it was close. Well, much to my delight I found the amp right up there with some of the best vintage Twins I've ever played. The speakers took a few hours to break in a bit but sounded great after that. I was expecting to not like the speakers as I've previously never met a Neo magnet speaker I liked. Well, I like these Jensens. I used the amp for rehearsals, small club gigs and outdoors. It excelled in each situation.

After having the amp for about a year I happened across a great deal on a new Deluxe version. So I decided to give it a try. I had just ditched a Line 6 HX Effects for a conventional small pedalboard. I liked the HX Effects but it was overkill for my needs. Well, the Tone Master Deluxe and my pedalboard really get along well. I got to do a couple of club dates and an outdoor gig with the TM Deluxe and it was perfect. I did install the bright cap clip firmware update. Nothing to not like about the amp. So I sold the Twin version for almost what I paid for it and that made me like the Deluxe even more.

Now, keep in mind you will find guys like me who say the amp falls short on tone and guys like me who say it nails it. I guess it depends on what you try to get out of the amp. I get edge of breakup, 6 on treble, 4 on bass, bright cap clipped. I use an Xotic SL compressor sometimes and a Barber Gain Changer for light OD. I play a lot of blues, funk, old school soul and R&B. The amp delivers the goods for me. I also have a great Victoria Ivy League which is also light and nails my tone. But I mostly gravitate toward the Tone Master Deluxe as it has more flexibility with the power scaling/attenuator and the excellent XLR out with the SM57 IR.

My only issue at this point is that I am extremely attracted to the Super Reverb version now that it is out. Love Supers and a really lightweight one would be incredible. But, I must say nothing is lacking in the Deluxe I currently have.

IrishBread69, Ignatius and Mike M like this.
  16. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Tele-Meister

You're right, made in China means nothing now. My Fender Excelsior Pro is made there I think it's a wonderful amp. Everything is made in China, that is what comes with foreign trade agreements. Corporations make big money, other countries Step out of the stone age, consumers get screwed, employees become unemployed, the government hands out money, Americans become lazy and spend their handouts on crap made in China and expect everyone to feel sorry for them because they don't pay their bills.

17. Ben Bishop

Ben Bishop Tele-Meister

After reading all five pages there's one issue on durability that no-one has addressed. The only interior photos in the thread don't show how the controls and sockets are mounted. Are the volume and tone controls attached to the chassis with wiring taking signal to the board or direct-mounted to the board? One is good, one is bad. Sooner or later controls and jacks are stressed, either in the normal use over time or in a tumble off a truck. Is the shock absorbed by the chassis and the wiring to the PCB isolates the board from the bending/twisting force, or surface-mount attachment stresses every element on the board. A sturdy PCB in a soft mount with some isolation from forces on the cabinet can have a long life. Damage to a board with surface-mount elements will include hair-line cracks that are very hard to locate and near impossible to repair. Which way did Fender design it?

18. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, that’s it. The source of all our problems :rolleyes:

Red Ryder likes this.
  19. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Tele-Meister

I wouldn't say that the Tone Master is the source of ALL our problems.

20. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.