Tried the tone Master Twin Reverb today...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dickey, Feb 6, 2020.

1. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

:lol:

Ignatius likes this.
  2. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

I refuse to buy anything that isn't 100% American made!!!

homer simpson thinking.jpg

3. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

For anyone checking these amps out in a store, I would highly recommend comparing with a tube version if at all possible- tonal differences are very apparent when you play them side by side. I'm not knocking the TMs- they have distinct advantages, but there was a very obvious difference in sound between the TM and the reissue Twin I tried out.

That Cal Webway and Durtdog like this.
  4. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

how does it react to od pedals or hard boosting?

5. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Made in - A substantial part of the process is to be conducted in that country however some components may be outsourced.
    Assembled - self explanitory.
    Would you assume every component in a Made in USA product is acctually manufactured in the USA.
    Edit. I highly doubt Fender would have a product Made in China, ship it to Mexico, assemble it there & then ship to the rest of the world.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  6. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

I guess you don’t own a cell phone, computer or TV. Sadly, most things are made overseas.

Pcs264, Apache Snow and rangercaster like this.
  7. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

Highly doubt all you want. And then watch the Fender video. It clearly says they assemble the Tone Master amps in Mexico alongside the 68 customs and the Hot Rod series amps.

Given the fact that the Tone Master amps are built on a digital platform, it absolutely makes sense that much of that part of the amp is going to be done at the source in China, whereas more internal assembly is likely done on the 68 customs and Hot Rod series guitars there in Mexico — though absolutely from components made in China. You’ll note it says “Product of China” on the back of the Tone Master amps, not “Made in China”

All I ever said in this thread was that the Tone Master amps are not built end-to-end in China — and that final assembly is done in Mexico alongside the 68 customs and Hot Rod series amps, which are also assembled in Mexico, obviously to a varying degree given the internals of the amp.

If Fender’s lawyers think that means the Tone Masters need to be labeled as a “product of China,” that’s fine, but let’s not pretend these are built to a different standard structurally than comparable Fender amps because of that label, because they’re not.

stevemc likes this.
  8. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

A great amp is a great amp ... it could be built on the Moon ... if the price is right, I don't care ...

9. Gardo

Gardo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Not to mention clothes

10. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Cool. So you agree that there is a difference between Made in & Assembled in. I personally don't care where a product is made. If there are any faults with this amp that arise in the future which seems to be the topic of concern it is the sole responsibility of fender QC, designed & engineering in the USA not China. I personally don't buy into the Made in US is superior to the Made in Mexico bu!!**** either with both factories in California & two hours appart trucks whith components / materials would be running back & forth daily.

Pcs264 and stevemc like this.
  11. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

It's not the quality of the work, it's how Fender specs them. The MIM is designed from the start to be a less expensive guitar.

It would be naive to believe they use the exact same materials and components in a $650 MIM Fender as a $1400 Fender.

Now which one you like better and serves your needs is a personal choice.

Jakedog likes this.
  12. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

No car and I walk everywhere ... barefoot.

13. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

My only point this entire time has been to show that these amps are not made start to finish in China and that as such, build quality should be on par with comparably priced Fender amps.

A secondary point is that all these amps — even those made in the USA — have parts and components made overseas and Fender is connecting the dots in whatever way makes sense given the positioning and price point of any given amp. In the case of the tech-heavy Tone Master series, that means more of the amp is manufactured and assembled in China — which should surprise no one — and that they are finished in Mexico alongside amps that are priced similarly in Fender’s lineup.

Bottom line: Fender stopped making a mid-60s Twin or Deluxe Reverb when the mid-60s ended, and there are a handful of options that approximate the look, feel, and tone of those amps to varying degrees — each aimed at a different potential buyer, and each made in a different way in different places to meet different specs and different price points.

It’s nice to have any of these options for mid-60s-Fender tone and looks — and even better that we have a handful.

14. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

I see your point there with guitars no doubt. But I would not doubt that if Corona run low or had a hold up on supply of materials, bodies, harnesses etc. they would source from Baja & vice versa as productivity would take precedent over minimal component cost. Do they advertise as a special run limited edition or just let it slide & fulfil orders? Amps
    however like the reissue series Blackface MIA & Silverface MIM what difference is there, same internals but minor circuit changes manufactured in the same place just labour cost & sticker of origin IMO nothing to do with better quality or materials.
    My 68 CPRRI combo cab was supplied without the dreaded glued baffle? Anyway back to topic, for the TMTR SS amp @ $1500aus regardless of where it comes is expensive and I'm wary of Fender marketing strategy make it expensive it has to be good. Why not make something that's good, make it affordable to everyone & sell 10 million more of them. What reviews I have seen are extremely favourable and if they were say $850aus I'd get one for sure & prob. be pleasantly surprised but for $1500aus I can pretty much guarantee I'd be disappointed.

15. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Absolutely! I am superhappy with mine too.

Pcs264 likes this.
  16. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Afflicted

By way of comparison, eighteen months ago I spent less than half that on an ex-demo Blues Cube Artist. Even new, the 2*12 is about 20% cheaper.

Si G X likes this.
  17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

C'mon this is the TDPRI! We wear the skins of animals that we've killed.

LunarSlingShot and Gardo like this.
  18. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

Ok. All the sorta rave reviews. Went nice local store Russo's in Asbury Park. They put a 93 twin RI next to tone master twin. 1st, picked it up. Wow! So light. I would've bought right then.
    Set similar settings both amps. You never know with RI. Some great, some dogs.
    Played tone master 1st, variety of pick ups, messed with controls and volume. Hmm. A little flat.
    Plugged into the RI. Ahh. A twin! Night and day. Wow. TM wasn't even close. Maybe the RI they had was best ever and I should go buy.
    Bummed though, back and forth A/Bing and never got the TM to sound close to the real thing.
    Ah, but that weight.....

Deathray likes this.
  19. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When we wear anything at all.

20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

True. The fire in the cave keeps it cosy.

Frodebro likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.