Tried the tone Master Twin Reverb today...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dickey, Feb 6, 2020.

1. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

OMG! They have NAILED the tube sound. NAILED IT!! Now...I am a major equipment & tube snob. Only play vintage American guitars, and tube amps that are NOT PCB.
    So, it was with skepticism that I was killing time after getting my taxes done that I stopped into a big box to kill time. I demo'ed the Tone Master Twin, fully expecting to be disappointed and WOW...sounded as good, if not better than my "77 Ultralinear Twin with JBLs. Also..the best, cleanest sounding reverb I have ever heard. Even better than the "Echo" on my '64 Gemini II.
    Has the surf "drip" that I love.
    Gonna demo the thing with my pedal steel on Saturday, on the way to my gig. If it sounds good with steel, I may hafta plunk down the Benjamins & put it on the card.

I can't believe I am considering buying a SS amp.
    I will STILL be a guitar snob, though. No new production guitars for me.

2. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Did you A/B it with a real Twin there in the store?

beyer160 and tubelectron like this.
  3. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I love my tonemaster deluxe. useful in many ways.

4. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I am a big vintage Twin player myself and was impressed by the Tone Master Twin when i tried it out as well. I think part of it is deception since it looks the part which programs our brains to expect a certain tone (my theory anyway). I do find the tone to be slightly warmer than my SF Twin, but unless you played them side-by-side the difference would not be very noticeable.

I am planning on getting one at some point as well....but only if they prove reliable. The jury is still out on that.

5. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

No; they didn't have one.

6. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

When I tried a couple of new guitars in a store today the sales rep brought a Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb into the practice room. He said that it sounded great and was also one of the lightest amps he had.

He was right, it did sound great to me.

DeepDangler likes this.
  7. Fretting out

Fretting out Doctor of Teleocity

I played the deluxe at a store when they came out and thought it was just a regular deluxe even had a warmup period where the sound fades in
    I didn’t realize it was the tone master till I saw the price tag was cheaper than the regular deluxe
    Like milspec says if they are reliable I’d definitely like to have one

8. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I can't wait to try one of these out! I've heard nothing but good reviews.

9. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

• No more 80 lb Twins for me. If I got one it would be the Tone Master Twin.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  10. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

as for the reliability: yes, i'm wondering about this also. I generally turn my TM deluxe on about 10 in the morning and leave it on til late at night, because I play it all throughout the day until late. so we'll see how this goes. check back in six months.

last night I turned it off right after midnight, it had been on since noon. I put my hand all over the top and back, I could not even find a warm spot.

OlRedNeckHippy and Ignatius like this.
  11. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

It's a SS amp, so do turn it off is my suggestion. No reason to let it use up your electric power.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    Grateful Ape, Jakedog and EsquireBoy like this.
  12. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I own the Tone Master Twin. Went to GC to try out some inexpensive classical guitars today. On the way out I grabbed a used ASAT Classic Tribute off the wall and plugged it into a Tone Master Twin. Sounded great.

13. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

I played the Deluxe last weekend. I’m not a tube connoisseur by any means, so my opinion isn’t nearly as well-informed, but I thought it sounded fantastic. This will likely be my next guitar-related purchase.

14. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Since it's not tube, I doubt the issues that arise will be heat-related. I'd be thinking more about maintenance - how easy is it to work inside of?

Honestly, I'm not even sure of what to be concerned about, and that gives me pause. What I mean is, *everything* fails eventually. Doesn't mean it's bad. But do I play my '69 which is still going strong after so many years (and likely that many more), and if it needs anything, it'll be minimal, and very easy to address. Or do I play a TM and expect to get ... what? A decade? Two? More? And then what? In the trash, because of not-user-serviceable black box parts?

I'm glad the sound is there. But for me, I'm in no hurry. I don't carry my amps anywhere, and I like the warmed-lacquer smell. (They didn't replicate that, by any chance, did they?)

Iago likes this.
  15. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Why still no effects loop? As a solid State amp, it would be a piece of cake to design in, though likely difficult for a tweaker/twiddler to add.

Just Sayin'
    Gene

16. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

I don’t think most players expect it to sound exactly like a BFTR. Some players can hear the difference between a BFTR and a TRRI, too.

unixfish and Vibrolux59 like this.
  17. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I just worry that it is built to be disposable like nearly everything these days and I am still sore about my old Fender hybrid amp when the board failed. Fender told me that no parts were available and to look for a used one off ebay. They lost a lot of trust from me after that affair, so I will be cautious on any SS amp they produce....especially when built in China.

It has the tone, it has the look, it has the right features, it has the right weight.....just need to prove reliability. Hard to know how the soldering and traces look on the inside of such an amp until it fails. A lot of electronics coming out of China are very sketchy in build consistency. I opened up a shortwave radio from there a few months ago and the guts looked like a 3 year old built it. The next day, i purchased another one of the same model and the guts of that one looked really good.

Lawdawg and moosie like this.
  18. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

That’s probably the best reason to be skeptical about the amp I’ve heard. I would imagine that QC would be a little higher for these and that it will be a long term design, as in you could just get an entirely new chassis if the board fried. But, that’s a $1000 gamble.

Grateful Ape and Milspec like this.
  19. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

The Fender SS Twins are $1500 in Aus. WTF. If I was to buy one it would need to be outstanding & have 10 years unlimited warranty.

Milspec and tubelectron like this.
  20. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

$1500 AUD is the same as $1000 USD.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.