Tried The Tone Master Deluxe Reverb Today

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Kmaxbrady, Sep 20, 2019.

1. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Great Caesar's Ghost, what does the inside of your house smell like with you running around pissing on everything? And I don't mean that in a bad way... :)

2. Stax1

Stax1 TDPRI Member

Has anyone watched the Anderton's comparison video on youtube? They play both the Tonemaster and Reissue (tube) Deluxe reverb and Twin reverb amps, without telling us which is which (to start with anyway) - all just mic'd up with sm57's. Its a circa 30min vid so there's lots to watch/hear. There's a bit where they crank them and I thought the Twin tonemaster sounded better than the reissue, but the TM Deluxe didn't hold up compared to the tube reissue.. Just my opinion, based on the audio.. Keen to try one of these TM amps out though, mainly coz I like trying out new gear! :)

Link to youtube vid -

drri likes this.
  3. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

That video is how I became aware of them.

4. drri

drri TDPRI Member

This is pretty much my take on it! Mine came in yesterday and it's sitting beside a handwired Alessandro DR (the closest you can get to a 65') and the tone is unreal! I do have a different "fuller" tone out of the "Real" one but I seriously think that's do to the speakers. First, the Jensen is new, Second, I'm not a fan of the Jensen's at all so I'll replacing it as soon as I can..... Took about 15 min just tinkering and I feel comfortable enough to use it today at a gig.... Now I also played around with the wattage settings and I can really see changing things up based on those.... On the 1W setting with the volume on about 8 was heaven to me. Roll the guitar volume back and it's perfect for clean stuff!! Fender knocked it out of the park with this one!!!

I'll go one further that I'm not sure has been mentioned yet..... The power cable (your standard removable computer cable) is 10ft long!!! There are velcro straps in the back that hold not only the power cable but the footswitch as well!! Replacing the speaker will be a breeze as well since there's nothing in the way from removing the old speaker from rear, no more removing the baffle from the front.

And for those saying it's not worth the money, that's all subjective, to me it was worth every penny! So was the Alessandro and it was about 1k more! Life's too short to get hung up on the money.

5. Rev Hoodoo

Rev Hoodoo TDPRI Member

OK, so some of us want to sit in a room and pick apart the concept and suggest some dishonesty by FMIC is telling the story of how they developed the amp, how these will be in landfills in no time, the price was artificially grabbed out of the air, that somehow they cost nearly nothing to build, that some of those who have never heard them declare they can't sound as good as claimed, that the various clips are clear evidence of the inferior tone, that the technology can't possible do what is claimed ....

I'll leave all that alone. I play, I've played a long time professionally, I've owned the originals when they were new amps, I own some top end tube stuff now, I've owned one amp that is a true unicorn (Matchless DC/30 4x10 combo), and along the way owned a number of modeling amps. I used them despite the compromises. I thought the early online demos of the TMTR sounded pretty convincing so I took a chance. I'm blown away. This thing sounds exactly like every good example of a mid-60's Twin I've ever had my hands on. I used to sell music retail and manage stores. I've heard a lots of old Twins. This thing looks, feels, sounds like what I remember. I plug in my old '65 ES335 and it is just like the old days, the response, the tone, the sound in the room, the dynamics, the body. It seems a lot of other folks agree. Not just based on these meaningless debates but based on sales. Almost universally people are spending a significant amount of money on a brand new product that many haven't even had the chance to try in person. And thus far it is nearly unanimous that the amp is a huge hit - the sound, the looks, the feel, the added functionality and the low weight. I could care less about the development process or tools used. It's a fair deal for a great product. So I'm moving past this discussion to actually playing. My enthusiasm may have been off putting to critics, I actually got accused of being a Fender shill. If I start raving about my prized '65 ES335 am I then a Gibson shill? No, of course not. I'm moving on. If I find something that is a deal breaker on this in use I'll pop back in and share it. My goal was to share my experiences with fellow guitar enthusiasts. I've just returned to the this forum after a long hiatus, primarily because of an excess of idiotic snakiness from time to time. Some things never change, apparently. But I'm gonna hang for a while as I've found it useful to get feedback from those without agendas that are sharing their experiences. Play on and enjoy.

Jozie, Frodebro, MisterZ and 6 others like this.
  6. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Thanks for sharing your insights on the behind the scenes work that went into these amps.

It's important to remember that R&D and Marketing are two different entities- one supplies the steak, the other supplies the sizzle. It's certainly in Marketing's best interests if every new product is presented as a unique, gamechanging innovation that's the pinnacle of design, regardless of how true that actually is.

Regardless, a solid state version of a classic tube amplifier that features similar sonics and a greatly reduced weight (and power scaling) is noteworthy in itself. It's just funny to me that the marking gurus feel the need to dress it up as some kind of Apollo 11 level technical achievement.

When you say "No third-party contract/commission work," are you saying that every single line of code was written by a salaried FMIC employee? It would be highly unusual if that were the case (delve into the 737 MAX story if you want to know how prevalent third party coding is even in industries with MUCH higher stakes than MI equipment). When you say you "started with a clean sheet," are you implying that NONE of the foundational work from previous Fender modeling amps was used? This would be unusual, too- when NASA developed the Apollo program they applied lessons and knowledge learned from the Mercury program all the way back to the Wright brothers- they didn't reinvent the wheel.

Also, how about the power amp? We've already discussed the speaker, too- was that designed "from the ground up" by Fender, or did you job that out to Jensen? 60 years ago Fender didn't feel the need to get into speaker design, they just took an off the shelf Jensen, and it seemed like a pretty successful pairing since we're still talking about them in 2019. I'm still trying to figure out how you made a neodymium speaker sound like a ceramic magnet Jensen if "There's no speaker-related magic going on under the hood."

It's true that none of this matters a whit to what the amp sounds like, or if it fulfills your needs or not. I just find technology interesting, and marketing spin repugnant.

jimash likes this.
  7. Webfoot

Webfoot Tele-Holic

Really interested to hear how they sound with non-neo speakers.

8. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

Good grief.
    You could have started with this sentence and saved yourself a lot of typing.

stevemc, TeleTex82 and No457 Snowy like this.
  9. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

It was never about the first sentence, it was about the second one-

I always feel bad for people who are apparently held at gunpoint and forced to read posts they aren't interested in on internet forums.

10. jgmouton

jgmouton Tele-Meister

So, will you sell your Alessandro?

11. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

ANALOG vs DIGITAL

TUBES vs SOLID STATE

VINYL vs CD/STREAMING

Simple...

NateD81 and pugnax like this.
  12. BeatlesAreMyJam

How is this badmouthing? Expressing a preference is not badmouthing to me...

RedRock and jgmouton like this.
  13. pugnax

pugnax TDPRI Member

This actually gets to the kernel of my thoughts around this amp/concept/whatever.

I agree with the above breakdown. I’ve always been an analog purist, and I’ve always preferred electron tubes to transistors, etc. But here’s the thing - the last time spent in a studio didn’t involve a mixing desk and tape, but instead all the sweet analog mic preamps still went through some converters straight into the DAW. So my purity is already, fundamentally, infected by The Digital. (I suppose it was already compromised by delay/reverb pedals but let’s leave that aside for the moment.)

I’ve never been able to get my head around playing DI into a set of plugins, and I’ve never played a fancy Kemper setup but even if I could I’m not attracted to the _physical_ interactions with the object itself. I like the way classic amps look and feel.

SO tldr, unless you’re recording at Electrical Audio you’re already compromised by the digital monster and need to decide for yourself where to draw the line. For a lot of us, I think, this changes that calculus a bit.

BeatlesAreMyJam likes this.
  14. jgmouton

jgmouton Tele-Meister

I'm ready to accept every technology (and I own all kinds of gear) but I let my ears judge. And my ears did not like the Tone Master DR at all.

15. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Meister

I wonder how many people are as critical about their own playing and ability as they are about criticizing these amps? I haven't played through or heard them in person, but many of the demos online sound pretty good and convincing.

I'd rather hear an awesome player playing through a Tone Master than a hack player going through a "real" Deluxe or Twin.

Ignatius, BeatlesAreMyJam and pugnax like this.
  16. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Meister

I think the Tone Masters are pretty darn appealing. Definitely will be checking them out in person soon. My only concern is the durability of the amp. Mine would just be sitting at home 90% of the time as a home recording and practice amp.

Tube amps are relatively easy to diagnose and repair to those who are skilled, but am repairmen are (literally) a dying breed and seems like it's getting harder and harder to find someone reputable who knows what they're doing. If a Tone Master had an issue would you have to remove the head and ship it back to Fender for diagnosis and repair because I'm going to guess that most Fender Authorized Repair Centers aren't able to fix these. And what would that process be once the amp is out of warranty? Wondering how costly it would be to fix? Kind of like the old car vs new car analogy. Old cars require more maintenance but are usually easier to diagnose and fix, while new cars are much more reliable, but are also much more complicated and can get costly just trying to diagnose issues let alone repair.

I'm not knocking the Tone Masters. I'm actually really interested in the Deluxe. Just verbalizing possible concerns. With that said, I've pretty much always preferred tube amps, and have owned my fair share of vintage Silverface Champs, Princetons, Deluxes and Twins. But I also bought a Yamaha THR-10 when it first came out and that little amp is still going strong with no issues.

Also, there seems to be some problems with the way many are doing their online demos comparing a TM Deluxe or Twin to the tube Reissues or originals. Pretty much on every comparison video they always match the tone settings on each amp on the dials instead of attempting to match the amps sonically. Even if you had two vintage examples they won't sound exactly the same with each amp's treble on 3, bass on 5, etc. There's variances in components, some may be out of spec, etc.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  17. BeatlesAreMyJam

John McLaughlin uses a Roland Cube 60 ferchrisakes. A classic amp, I know. But not exactly a Dumble...

18. njtelepkr

njtelepkr NEW MEMBER!

I am thinking of getting the TMDR .... The lead player mentioned in the above post is an amazing player and is really discriminating when it comes to his tone. If he likes it, then that speaks volumes (no pun intended) regarding how the TM sounds. I just might bite the bullet and get one!!! BTW, in my amp arsenal I have tube DRRI, vintage Super Rev, vintage Bassman, and DRMAZ18. All great but heavy and lack the modern conveniences the TM offers.

19. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

This is one of my favorite YouTube guys. He always has cool little lessons and nice tone. He is playing the tone master here and it sounds good. I would probaby look into it if I were gigging but don’t have a strong opinion on it either way. I just like this guys videos and the amp sounds purty good in his video

20. BeatlesAreMyJam

Unboxing videos heh...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.