Tried The Tone Master Deluxe Reverb Today

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Kmaxbrady, Sep 20, 2019.

1. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

In that respect, you are correct. Fender can charge whatever they want for either. We know the price that the market will bear for the DRRI. For the TM, it is still TBD and I would be very surprised if the 899 price, and even the amp itself, is maintained as is over time. We'll see.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    jgmouton and Mexitele Blues like this.
  2. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

Why should they? The whole point of having a can of Tinkertoys on the bench is so you can build more-complex projects without having to reinvent a whole lot of wheels. That's the only way to make progress without devoting an army of people to it.

I'm pretty sure Fender didn't design and build every tube, resistor, capacitor, switch and power light used in its tube amps, either. Why hold them to a different standard for digital?

I've done DSP systems for RF and am aware of what's on the market for that field. Audio's not my thing, but if these programs are so well-established, point us at a couple of them. Is somebody selling a really good EL84 model as a library?

Who's saying that? I'll say they did R&D, and the amount isn't relevant. They made something new (or new to them, since other companies have done the same thing).

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  3. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Didn't read Stilwel's post, did you.

It might help you know what your talking about.

TeleTex82, backporchmusic and swany like this.
  4. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I am not in the market for an amp at the moment because I am pretty happy with my Katana 50, but I don't quite get the point of further discussion here. It seems like the consensus among those who actually have the new Tonemaster amps is that they do what they are supposed to do, and quite well. They might be a tad expensive, but they might not. Then there are those who like glowing tubes and heavy transformers better, for all the traditional reasons, which is entirely understandable and expected. I found this discussion interesting, but now it seems to be going in circles. I don't think anybody is going to change their mind at this point.

57fenderstrat and Marc Morfei like this.
  5. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Especially considering 98% of the comments are from people who have not actually heard this amp....

No457 Snowy, Speedy454, drri and 3 others like this.
  6. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

FMIC invented ****ing the oldest OS (originally) program in the book for spectral analysis?

Right in your own damn video:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sonic Visualiser, a FREE TO THE PUBLIC analysis suite that allows you to compute a truck load of spectral data for your own algorithms.

https://sonicvisualiser.org/download.html

Also, context, understand that I was responding to the assertion that Tube Amps were simply slapped together existing schematics and didn't require R&D which is total bull**** if you want to sell them internationally.

At this point, I won't debate further, you love your company and I'm sure you guys worked hard on this thing.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  7. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

A twin with 15 kilos is a very very very seductive idea....

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Pace a certain current thread, I don't it was released as a kilogram model.

9. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I don't need to hear it to know the feature set is not what I want from a digital amp at that price point.

10. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

We don't have time for facts, we have opinions to form!!!

Fret Wilkes likes this.
  11. stilwel

stilwel TDPRI Member

You’re talking about development tools. Every dev team in the world uses tools and IDE’s.

We use dev tools for analysis, but they don’t write the code for you.
    The spectral analysis tool in the video was used to view and analyze the impulses of the spring reverb tank that our engineers captured. It doesn’t create them.

I watched the video again and I don't see the engineer claiming that he created Sonic Visualizer, so I guess I don’t understand your complaint.
    That’s like saying a writer can’t use a desktop publishing app or an artist can't use photoshop because they didn't create those tools.

Anyway, I hope everyone has an opportunity to try these amps and form their own opinions based on first-hand experience.
    So far the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

jdto, middy, Cerb and 11 others like this.
  12. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

Thanks for taking your time to explain all this.

13. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

You can let your compadres know that there are a few tube heads here that have tried them and purchased them because we recognize the near miracle they have produced. You can all be damned proud of your work.

Cerb, TeleTex82, stax and 4 others like this.
  14. Rev Hoodoo

Rev Hoodoo TDPRI Member

Yeah, put down as another one in that category. The TMTR has retired a high end, hand built tube amp for me. As a live performance tool the greater flexibility and decreased weight on top of the superior tone sealed the deal. Good work on this one.

Ironwolf, Lef T and stilwel like this.
  15. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah. I bet Fender didn't grow the timber or bake the bricks to house their building either, let alone assemble, furnish, run electric and plumb the building themselves. Posers!

... do I need to add a "Sarcasm Alert" sign?

Cerb, Blrfl, codamedia and 1 other person like this.
  17. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Oh, I didn't realize those were development tools that everyone uses, thanks for explaining that? You said specifically "No playing around with existing software" which is exactly the opposite of how 95% of companies develop DSP audio tools.

But, can't respond to the obvious, can we?

It's almost as if, when creating a signal processor, that's exactly what every company from Waldorf to Eventide to hundreds of others do, which was my entire point. And, yes, when you code these things you certainly build on the past which is programming 101. I was part of the development for many processes in the FFT analysis algorithms in Max that many used in creating, specifically, their convolution reverb algorithms.

The consensus in this thread that some miracle was created from beyond the hinterlands by FMIC because they put SO MUCH R&D into this product that it must be sold at a loss is a joke. Lawd forbid I point out this is a pretty common process in developing DSP standalones. And, yes, even basic reverb processors can take years of analysis/coding/development to get to market. Same goes for signal generators.

Thanks NASA, I mean, FMIC.

It's a signal processor. There are hundreds of them on market, some just emulate one thing or process, some hundreds of them.

Anyways, it's a losing battle pointing that this is, again, a signal processor and will be deemed obsolete in due time just like the Cyber Twin long after everyone dealt with the random patch skipping, chip film issues, encoders skipping like crazy. Sure, it's a neat product, but every time it's been done it's deemed a REVOLUTION by the company doing it. Great.

Then, when the market doesn't bear them being fixed they end up in the dumpster whilst said company proclaims "going green." Yay.

Just like my mistake of pointing out FMIC changing the finishes on American Originals the fanboys jumped on me real hard for that one, heretic I am. Now it's accepted as fact.

Let's meet back here in a decade and share our tales of the tone master revolution.

jgmouton likes this.
  18. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Marketing is not equal to development!
    I've seen many tube amps released that are also marketed as a REVOLUTION ;)

19. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

No thanks.
    Defensive much?
    LOL!

No thanks.

20. MerleJam

MerleJam Tele-Meister

I am a painfully average player, but I know what sounds good to me. I’ve played on a vintage Twin and I’ve played a new Tonemaster..and I thought the Tonemaster was super nice. It sounded great to my ears, loved the weight, different watt settings etc and think the folks at Fender knocked this out of the park. Will be getting a TM Deluxe as soon as possible, even though I currently have a DRRI.

stilwel and Vespa_One like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.