Tried The Tone Master Deluxe Reverb Today

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Kmaxbrady, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady TDPRI Member

I tried the DR tone master for the first time at GC this morning. I went back an forth between it and a standard DRRI. The tonemaster is a great amp, it sounds like the DRRI and I really like the light weight and the varying wattage dial. Hands down the best modeling amp I’ve heard in person.
    ...BUT, every time I went back to the real tube amp there was just something better about it, it’s hard to describe but it just sounded more alive and real, the difference was subtle, but it was there every time. (And I promise I was trying as hard as I could to suppress my bias and really just listen)

I’m glad people are liking them because I love the concept, but to sum it up the tonemaster made me say “wow that sounds just like a deluxe reverb!” But the actual deluxe reverb just made me want to keep playing.

Attached Files:

2. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I haven’t played one yet, I’m intrigued as well. The thing that always gives me pause about side-by-side A/B tests like that is that for a given piece of equipment, particularly one as ornery as a tube amplifier (and I mean that in the most affectionate way possible) any two examples, even two that rolled off the line consecutively, can and will have different nuance. You could play two tube DRRIs and have the same result: one that sounds good and one that sounds amazing. If they were both tube amps it would be chalked up to manufacturing tolerance and personal preference. But because one is a different technology it is immediately attributed to the technology. I’m not criticizing your conclusion nor your choice, your ears are the only judges that matter here, just opining a bit about nature of such comparisons.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    skisquash, jannodude, pugnax and 8 others like this.
  3. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady TDPRI Member

100% true

4. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Tele-Holic

A tube amp is this constantly varying thing for better or worse. It will change with each player depending on how that player plays, how much it feeds the amps with their respective attack and nuance...it's a special thing. Voltage, tubes, electricity, these things are alive. A modeled version cannot really do that, but imo that's alright, they serve a different purpose. That photocopy of the sound that really inspires us 9/10 suffices for the job, as in it'll sound good in the band, through the PA, on stage etc. If i were an at home player or studio only player then I'd try my best to hold onto my tube amp collection, live though I'm looking for practical solutions . I may pick one up for my transit gigs, I currently use a quilter for this purpose and it works GREAT but I am intrigued by the tone master series. We will see, seems like it sounds good and is a good tool

Owenmoney, drri and Kmaxbrady like this.
  5. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady TDPRI Member

I also wonder how long that DRRI has been out on the floor getting broken in. The tonemaster came out like 2 weeks ago right?

pugnax and Matthias like this.
  6. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

Thank you very much for this honest review!

Can't that also be the fact that you knew which one you were playing?

But in the end, it does not really matter because tone and inspiration is also in the head: feeling excited about the gear you use, gives you inspiration and makes you a better player just because you hear a better tone in your head.

Kmaxbrady likes this.
  7. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady TDPRI Member

Yeah the whole time I was playing I was wishing I could do a blind review.

fretWalkr likes this.
  8. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Tubes for the win!....again.

RFT III, tho618, bblumentritt and 2 others like this.
  9. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

It amazes me how much people will defend modeling amps, even when there's a side-by-side comparison.

Theories about tube amp variations, modeling amps not broken in, even questioning the tester's perception.

Same thing happened when I tested a Tone Master Twin beside a Twin Reverb reissue. They eventually came to the conclusion that there is just plain bias against modelers, and those of us who "claim" to hear a difference are just haters, stuck in the past.

10. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I’m equally amazed by how much malice you were able to infer from what I thought to be a very delicately worded observation. No one is casting aspersions here. Differing opinions and biases can and should exist and be openly discussed without it descending into what you describe and clearly anticipate. Maybe let’s have the conversation before we get all bent out of shape about the course it may or may not take?

11. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

I cant wait to get my DRRI. I dont hate amp modelers, I just dont want one when the real thing is so close in price. I currently play through a pedal preamp that is designed to sound very Deluxe'ish on the clean channel and its great. I am a bit old school and miss the cushy full round warmth of the real deal. If the Tonemaster amps were half the price, I might check one out.

tho618, PCollen, jgmouton and 4 others like this.
  12. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

Just reading the title of the thread I wondered how far I’d have to read to see a post from you doing some bad mouthing

13. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

You didn’t happen to try any pedals with it did you, I’m interested to find out if it takes pedals well as most digital? Amps I put pedals into just don’t sound right

Uncle Butch likes this.
  14. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady TDPRI Member

Nope, just the amp and a Baja

Owenmoney and Fretting out like this.
  15. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

In my opinion, these amps will eventually be judged against other quality modeling and solid state amps, (stuff like quilter, dv mark, henriksen, etc), and not tube combos, with which they have absolutely nothing in common (besides the obvious marketing). For many, if not most musicians, there's room for both when it comes to real life playing and gigging.

drri and Kmaxbrady like this.
  16. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've got both digital and tube amps, and the only criteria I have for them is how they sound in the context of what they're being used for. How that sound is created means nothing to me.

17. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

I expect that if we could take a time machine back to 1952, we'd hear a nearly identical debate, only it would be between "These new solid-body electric Telecasters from Fender are great guitars!" and "a slab of wood and some wires will never have the beautiful tone of a real guitar!"

18. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's actually exactly how the Telecaster was first received. Traditional hollowbody players slammed the new guitars relentlessly.

Driver3, JK202, dreamingtele and 4 others like this.
  19. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

I think it's worth noting the DRRI isn't exactly cream of the crop. The RI amps have their issues, so it'd be interesting to see how it'd compare to a really well built 'booteek' tier Deluxe Reverb clone, or a well maintained vintage example.

pugnax, PCollen and drri like this.
  20. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

In the other thread I mentioned, brother, the other thread.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.