Tried out Bullet strats at local store

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by RoCkstAr256, Apr 15, 2019.

1. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

I really liked these, seems like Indonesian ones are much better than previous chinesse i have tried. Only thing that bothers me are Tuners? What tuners can be installed into bulllet strats ? Also i have to order guitar online, local store has only Sunburst color. I want white one

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Get the nut right before changing the tuners.

While most import sealed/locking tuners will fit the holes without reaming, the screw placement is different. You'll need to drill small pilot holes and lubricate the tiny screws to get a good fit. You don't want to strip or break off a screw head.

I recently bought a set of $15 locking tuners on EBay (many Chinese sellers have them) and they work well. I've also tried several sealed tuners in the $7 to $12 range. All have been good.

SolidSteak and RoCkstAr256 like this.
  3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The MII's are 'high manufacturing quality', repeatability from guitar to guitar is great. They slavishly follow the Fender spec on the neck carve though -- Where some of the MIC necks were chunky, all the MIIs have been skinny (width and depths reported are about the same 0.5 to 1.0mm difference maybe) but the carve starts from the leading edge of the fretboard instead of behind the glue line. Then deep carve.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  4. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Its rarely the tuners even very cheap ones .
    i just bought a 6 quid set on ebay to replace the originals on my recycling plant find so called 70's pre lawsuit "Les Paul" to replace ones that really are awful and indeed notorious .Now they keep great tune but I am careful to pull /wrench my strings a few times to bed them in and also make sure the nut isnt sticking .Of course on strats with a wobbly tremmy bridge the skies the limit when setting it up right as most aint out of the box .

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  5. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I got a white hard tail bullet strat earlier this year. I'm still on the fence about replacing stuff like tuners, because the guitar tuned up perfectly right out of the box and even with bending it doesn't go out of tune much. I am the type to try putting graphite or even lip balm on the nut before replacing tuners, especially since I read replacements for the bullets are not plug and play (need to drill new screw holes like bgmacaw said).

Try putting pencil graphite on the nut slots and see how it holds tuning from there.

6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The MII Bullets are great quality in fit and finish. There are two impediments to tuning happiness.

1. The nut is a soft plastic. On these guitars the slots are usually OKish, but could use some fine tuning. Filing the slots of a late model Bullet nut is like filing hard cheese: you can feel the material "drag" on the file. Once you get the slots where you want them, lubing the slots is beneficial (and I don't usually recommend using any lube).

2. The tuners are junk. They hold tune as well as any other tuner as long as you string them right: tuners, no matter how cheap, have at least a 14:1 ratio and don't unwind under string tension. They are sloppy, however, with a lot of lash in the gears. Take them off, pop the covers off, take out the screw that retains the larger gear, rinse all threads with naptha, let them evaporate and wipe the threads, put a drop of Loctite Blue (not red!) on the screw, put in the screw and tighten until you've removed as much slop as possible, yet the tuner still works easily. Put up with that until you put on a $25 set of vintage-style, split shaft tuners that are quick and easy to string. You'll need to drill new screw holes for the new tuners. I don't remember if you'll need "conversion" bushings, or if your existing bushings will work.

Overall they're a lot of bang for the buck. The pickups and electronics aren't stellar, but they get the job done and a good amp will make a Bullet sound great.

7. RoCkstAr256

Thanks guys for all the info i will remember things about tuners and nut. Im giving it a try, purchased it just for 475 Polish zlotych which is 125 USD

8. RoCkstAr256

IT arrives tommorow !

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  9. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

Is it in your hands? Review please!

10. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

saw these new hard tail bullets at the music store and im planning to get one as a workhorse/jam guitar. hows the build quality of these?

11. RoCkstAr256

Its good i would say, check fo Indonesian One made 2017/2018 since they have new tuners. Only thing i dont like is that they are thinner. Pickups are biggest wow, they sound good for 125 $. This is my guitar for jam sessions

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-squier-bullet-strat-ht-arctic-white.944119/

leonard d rock likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.