1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tried out a new CV Thinline today...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by 91xlntS-3, Aug 21, 2010.

1. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

So, I've been eyeballing these...

and I have a set of Keystones lying around right now...
    Anyone tried Keystones in a CV TL??

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It has been at least a year since I've been in the Bakersfield, CA Guitar Center but I still feel comfortable saying that location has some of the most badly beat up merchandise of all the dozens of Guitar Center locations I have visited and in many cases bought from.

I can think of some Sam Ash locations that have more ruined stuff, but other GC locations, I'd say no.

++

I agree with Eric, the Classic Vibe Thinline is a nicest of the 3 CV tele models based on the ones I have played. But I still ain't buying one!! ;)

3. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Just a thought for people who dont like the CVT sound but do like the CV50's.

The CV50's has an 8.5k bridge pickup and the guitar is way more heavy than the CVT by probably 2 lbs. The CVT has a 5.8k bridge pickup which is a low output one that might nbot match up to the users amp as good as the CV50's did.

There are several happy CVT owners here I wonder what everyone is using for amps my guess is the amp doesnt like the low ohm lioght thinner sounding guitar so of course it doesnt sound as good as the heavy one with the hotter pickups..

4. Mark Davis

Boris you have to own something made in china. Have you ever turned your keyboard over and seen where its made? Do you use a Mac most of them are MIC.

I know you replace all your ping tuners with Gotohs. What other lenghts do you go to to be sure you dont own any chinese made stuff?

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm not convinced the Ping splits I had were Chinese, but I replaced them anyway.

I'm using a cordless mouse someone discarded, since I can't find one not made in China. Yeah, the cast off is Chinese. I also have a Ryobi 4 in angle grinder I found in storm debris from Katrina that still works. Ryobi is normally garbage but this thing still does the job. Also China.

I know if I open up this old MPC desktop I will find Chinese parts. The cooling fan on my Peavey amps is Chinese. I am just trying to draw the line and not buy any items marked "Made in China" even if the camera and backpack are not exactly what I really want (but they're not China) and my Thailand made sandals are falling apart and I have to improvise window treatments because non Chinese blinds are so rare.

I do the best I know how.

6. teleduster

teleduster Banned

I know you're not addressing me personally, but I'll go to any length necessary.

With the exception of my Starcaster, Tsing Tao Beer and Crispy Hunan Duck!!!

7. 91xlntS-3

91xlntS-3 Tele-Afflicted

That's why I hooked up to the Blues Jr., I have gigged with one for over 3 years now! All my guitars sound great thru that little amp, and it's all stock-2000 model, Last of the Made in USA, but with a cream board. :D

8. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Tele-Meister

Let me tell you, along with Boris you are easily one of the best, most insightful 2 or 3 posters here IMO. So it's definitely great that something was worked out so you can still post.

9. alexpigment

alexpigment Tele-Afflicted

Just throwing my two cents in on this thread. I originally GAS'd hard over the classic vibe custom on looks, vibe, etc and knew the exact date my local store had them coming in. I played the custom maybe 15 minutes and was sold. While I was about to ring it up, the guy said they had a thinline in, and I figured "what the hell. let's try it out". The thinline completely killed the custom, so I changed my mind and got the thinline.

After trying to figure out why there was little to no love on this forum for the thinline, I started to believe that no one had actually played both of them. I never wanted to rain on anyone's parade, but it was just so obvious to me that the thinline was the best sounding of the 3. I got a chance to play 2 more thinlines and it was easy to tell that mine was not a fluke - they're all just as good.

Anyway, good to see that other people (including the people at the factory) think the thinline is the best of the lot. I was beginning to think my ears were not in tune with everyone else's here. I'd still love a custom - don't get me wrong - but the thinline just sounds better.

10. Mark Davis

Ya when the manager of the factory says they are the best of the CV's he just might know what he is talking about! LOL

Here is what Eric said.

Hi Mark,

It's good to see you love your new baby.
    Yes we made C.V. Tele Custom and a Tele Thinline as well. Actually I love that
    Thinline model the most. Its body is made by 2 pieces African Mahogany, it sounds really great.

The pickups are made in our factory.

Enjoy it.

Cheers,

11. alexpigment

alexpigment Tele-Afflicted

Cool to get the extra info on the guitar, Mark. I don't know if it's the mahogany or what, but the guitar resonates really well *acoustically*, not only in the body, but the neck as well (the neck might actually be the main source of the sound). Also, something about the tone is more 3D and complex, whereas most other guitars (including ones I still love) sound 2D. Because of that "3D" nature, it makes for the best rhythm guitar I've ever owned; certainly more tonal growl than a humbucker could give.

12. Blues Hurler

Blues Hurler Tele-Holic

I found that playing with the pickup height (raising them) in my CV50 made a HUGE difference in tone. Far better. Playing through a PRRI. Ver' nice.

13. Mark Davis

Ya there are thousands of perfectly good stock pickups in parts drawers just for the simple fact people dont adjust them.

When I get a new guitar I cut off the stock strings replace them with D'Addarios and if it doesnt sound right after that I adjust the pickups asap.

They dont have time in the factory to do this they just install them so they dont fall out and thats what you get. They could be at any height depending on who installed them.

14. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

15. Mark Davis

16. Blues Hurler

Blues Hurler Tele-Holic

Yup. Me too.

17. LiamDalmon

LiamDalmon Tele-Holic

Mark Davis,
    I picked my CVT after trying it alongside a CVC and a CV50. I've been raving about how good it is for the last couple of months. It sounds great thro' my Marshall DSL and Vox Nighttrain amps.

18. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It made a huge difference in my '72 Thinline RI. When I got it the humbuckers sounded like a mass of muddy noise. You could hardly pick out individual string notes. I played with it for maybe an hour adjusting up/down, left/right, then a couple individual poles, then balance for output between bridge and neck. I came out with a warm woody neck PU and a bright, full bridge PU. Sounds great, but if I hadn't known about adjusting the pickups I would have sold it for a loss or started buying pickups.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.