tried out a fancy chorus pedal at guitar center yesterday...

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
The thing with analog chorus is that they’re all just based on the Panasonic MN BBD chips. It’s kind of silly to spend too much, the implementations are all pretty much the same barebones stuff. Same with analog delays and flangers.

eclecticsynergy

Friend of Leo's
/me has never had an effects loop...

uh.. I guess that's a lie, I had one on a 3 channel Ampeg head I had in the 90s. I don't think I ever use it though. I plugged in to the amp with a tube screamer and a delay (an old boss pitch shifter delay) and a cry baby. It sounded ok with my strat at the time.
It's fine into a clean amp too, if you're getting your gain from pedals. Just that running a really sophisticated hi-fi chorus like the Inpire into a dirty amp is wasting some of the benefits of having one.

Might as well just use a high quality conventional chorus that doesn't offer features like micropitch and hex chorus.

I use a Lovepedal Beardsman on my small board - dual chorus, yet not truly separate. Two chorus circuits in series for richness, but while each one has its own speed knob, there are master controls for mix and depth.

Sound great into a cooking amp. I even have it upstream from a couple drives.

I do like chorus before gain. Gives nice, cohesive organic whorl, and pretty cool feedback.
Reminds me of the old days.

It's just that special capabilities aren't very useful in that situation.

Blackmore Fan

Tele-Afflicted
I'm pretty certain I'm going to pick up a Boss Waza Chorus tomorrow, the CE-2 model. It offers 3 different versions of the Boss Chorus sound, you select which of the 3 you wish to play by a switch on the top of the pedal. Its "pricey", but seems to be a high quality and low noise way to embrace the chorus sound.

Blackmore Fan

Tele-Afflicted
I'm pretty certain I'm going to pick up a Boss Waza Chorus tomorrow, the CE-2 model. It offers 3 different versions of the Boss Chorus sound, you select which of the 3 you wish to play by a switch on the top of the pedal. Its "pricey", but seems to be a high quality and low noise way to embrace the chorus sound.

I picked it up today--the Boss Waza CE-2 Chorus. I plan on plugging it in tomorrow!

Vibroluxer

Tele-Afflicted
After listening to some old Prretender's live tracks after JamesHS's death anniversary, I decided I couldn't live without a chorus pedal. I haven't had one since I got drunk in about '89 and kicked my Arion Stereo chorus across the room for some inexplicable, long forgotten reason and broke the knobs off of it.

I visited my local GC this afternoon and they had 4 (at least) to choose from. I picked the Suhr Alexa first, It was the most expensive one they had in stock at $199 and had cool paint, was a suhr and had an impressive array of knobs and lights. We plugged a squire tele into it and ran through to a boss katana. Not only did the feel of the thing into the boss seem more like an synth than a guitar to my luddite fingers, it had something like 8 knobs and a switch and a couple of foot swtiches, but no matter how I twisted the knobs it always sounded about the same, sort of shimmery and thin. I nixed it. Playing effects like that reminds me of going to a big somewhat lousy buffet where you can get 100 different things but none of them are very good,and somehow they everything tastes the same, chicken/steak/fish/beans they all taste like salt. blech...

Next I tried out a maxon c550 stereo chorus. Same amp same guitar. I still think the Katana responds to a guitar and one's hands unnaturally, at least in a way that your average old tube amp simply, but the Maxon was some nice thick rich chorus, and the two knobs seemed to respond in the way one might expect, the effect on the tele reminded me of maple syrup, and not the real stuff but the thick sweet Dark Karo corn syrup variety, as poured on pancakes and smeared on breakfast sausage. I bought the maxon!!! there was a TC-electronics and a EH chorus of some type there too, I didn't try them out. I have a couple of other maxon effexts that I like (an overdrive master the big green one, and an analog delay the little pink one) so I just called it a, enough chorus pedals tried out, day, payed my moneys and headed to my next stop (the grocery store).

I still would kind of like to check out a vintage Boss Ce-2 as raved about on the internet and allegedly used by JamesHS himself, however, I've never been a great big fan of Boss pedals in general and vintage units are going for at least $50+ what i paid for the Maxon, which still wasn't all that cheap, so I called it good.

Anyway, main point, I hate gizmos with bunches of knobs that seem to do sound about the same no matter how you twist them, or worse yet, generally, except in some rare combination only, sound lousy (ala mesa boogie).

Not so main point, try stuff out for yourself, just because it costs more, doesn't mean it suits you more.

Third point, Katana the end of tube amps...:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: yeah sure.

NEWSFLASH!!! Cabaret is getting screen by Fathom events July 17th !!! I'M SO GOING! Liza Maneli never did anything better, what a freaky movie.

I'll tell ya what, that entire line of Maxon Vintage pedals is the bees knees.

I had the chorus but never gelled with chorus pedals in general but still happily have the Overdrive Pro, Distortion Master, the genetically named Analog Delay, and the ever popularly reviewed RotoPhaser. Enjoy!

Last edited: