tried out a fancy chorus pedal at guitar center yesterday...

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
After listening to some old Prretender's live tracks after JamesHS's death anniversary, I decided I couldn't live without a chorus pedal. I haven't had one since I got drunk in about '89 and kicked my Arion Stereo chorus across the room for some inexplicable, long forgotten reason and broke the knobs off of it.

I visited my local GC this afternoon and they had 4 (at least) to choose from. I picked the Suhr Alexa first, It was the most expensive one they had in stock at $199 and had cool paint, was a suhr and had an impressive array of knobs and lights. We plugged a squire tele into it and ran through to a boss katana. Not only did the feel of the thing into the boss seem more like an synth than a guitar to my luddite fingers, it had something like 8 knobs and a switch and a couple of foot swtiches, but no matter how I twisted the knobs it always sounded about the same, sort of shimmery and thin. I nixed it. Playing effects like that reminds me of going to a big somewhat lousy buffet where you can get 100 different things but none of them are very good,and somehow they everything tastes the same, chicken/steak/fish/beans they all taste like salt. blech...

Next I tried out a maxon c550 stereo chorus. Same amp same guitar. I still think the Katana responds to a guitar and one's hands unnaturally, at least in a way that your average old tube amp simply, but the Maxon was some nice thick rich chorus, and the two knobs seemed to respond in the way one might expect, the effect on the tele reminded me of maple syrup, and not the real stuff but the thick sweet Dark Karo corn syrup variety, as poured on pancakes and smeared on breakfast sausage. I bought the maxon!!! there was a TC-electronics and a EH chorus of some type there too, I didn't try them out. I have a couple of other maxon effexts that I like (an overdrive master the big green one, and an analog delay the little pink one) so I just called it a, enough chorus pedals tried out, day, payed my moneys and headed to my next stop (the grocery store).

I still would kind of like to check out a vintage Boss Ce-2 as raved about on the internet and allegedly used by JamesHS himself, however, I've never been a great big fan of Boss pedals in general and vintage units are going for at least $50+ what i paid for the Maxon, which still wasn't all that cheap, so I called it good.

Anyway, main point, I hate gizmos with bunches of knobs that seem to do sound about the same no matter how you twist them, or worse yet, generally, except in some rare combination only, sound lousy (ala mesa boogie).

Not so main point, try stuff out for yourself, just because it costs more, doesn't mean it suits you more.

Third point, Katana the end of tube amps...:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: yeah sure.

NEWSFLASH!!! Cabaret is getting screen by Fathom events July 17th !!! I'M SO GOING! Liza Maneli never did anything better, what a freaky movie.

nickmm

Tele-Holic
JHS used a EH chorus.
Live a boss possibly a CE-1 or a CE-2
Chain Gang is a Flanger. (not James)

A lot of the Pretenders sound is multiple layered overdubs, and 12 string Rickys and acoustics.
The TC reissue is a good versatile chorus, The Retro Sonic is a good CE-1 clone.

Last edited:

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
After listening to some old Prretender's live tracks after JamesHS's death anniversary, I decided I couldn't live without a chorus pedal. I haven't had one since I got drunk in about '89 and kicked my Arion Stereo chorus across the room for some inexplicable, long forgotten reason and broke the knobs off of it.

I visited my local GC this afternoon and they had 4 (at least) to choose from. I picked the Suhr Alexa first, It was the most expensive one they had in stock at $199 and had cool paint, was a suhr and had an impressive array of knobs and lights. We plugged a squire tele into it and ran through to a boss katana. Not only did the feel of the thing into the boss seem more like an synth than a guitar to my luddite fingers, it had something like 8 knobs and a switch and a couple of foot swtiches, but no matter how I twisted the knobs it always sounded about the same, sort of shimmery and thin. I nixed it. Playing effects like that reminds me of going to a big somewhat lousy buffet where you can get 100 different things but none of them are very good,and somehow they everything tastes the same, chicken/steak/fish/beans they all taste like salt. blech...

Next I tried out a maxon c550 stereo chorus. Same amp same guitar. I still think the Katana responds to a guitar and one's hands unnaturally, at least in a way that your average old tube amp simply, but the Maxon was some nice thick rich chorus, and the two knobs seemed to respond in the way one might expect, the effect on the tele reminded me of maple syrup, and not the real stuff but the thick sweet Dark Karo corn syrup variety, as poured on pancakes and smeared on breakfast sausage. I bought the maxon!!! there was a TC-electronics and a EH chorus of some type there too, I didn't try them out. I have a couple of other maxon effexts that I like (an overdrive master the big green one, and an analog delay the little pink one) so I just called it a, enough chorus pedals tried out, day, payed my moneys and headed to my next stop (the grocery store).

I still would kind of like to check out a vintage Boss Ce-2 as raved about on the internet and allegedly used by JamesHS himself, however, I've never been a great big fan of Boss pedals in general and vintage units are going for at least $50+ what i paid for the Maxon, which still wasn't all that cheap, so I called it good.

Anyway, main point, I hate gizmos with bunches of knobs that seem to do sound about the same no matter how you twist them, or worse yet, generally, except in some rare combination only, sound lousy (ala mesa boogie).

Not so main point, try stuff out for yourself, just because it costs more, doesn't mean it suits you more.

Third point, Katana the end of tube amps...:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: yeah sure.

NEWSFLASH!!! Cabaret is getting screen by Fathom events July 17th !!! I'M SO GOING! Liza Maneli never did anything better, what a freaky movie.

Yeah, I've said this before: the Kantana has some weird edge, or effect, or maybe like you say it just doesn't respond right. I love the flexibility and computer interface but I really don't enjoy the sound. And I'm not against solid-state amps. I like them. But there's just something off about it.

Mike_LA

Friend of Leo's
Ok, so I recently got a Boss CE2 AND the cheap china knockoff. Overall, the boss is better but in a live band setting you will never hear it. The CE2 sounds a little fuller, I think .... got to play through them more today.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member

So... what is "D-time" on the Maxon 550?

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
I bought the maxon!!! there was a TC-electronics and a EH chorus of some type there too, I didn't try them out. I have a couple of other maxon effexts that I like (an overdrive master the big green one, and an analog delay the little pink one) so I just called it a, enough chorus pedals tried out, day, payed my moneys and headed to my next stop (the grocery store).

Congrats on the pedals. Chorus has always been a tough one for me at least. Been through I don't know. how many and realized the usual suspects are just "too much" for my taste.

Happy accident, I ended up using a Walrus Audio Arp-87 as my chorus pedal - yes, its a delay....with a modulation knob. So I set it to the shortest delay possible, put modulation at noon and viola, a good chorus sound for me, almost tri-chorus-y type of chorus. And its a delay if I need it for that by just rolling off modulation.

Glad you found something you liked.

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
You don’t like chorus pedals. That’s cool. Not everyone does. FWIW my favorite chorus effect is actually a faux tape delay warble.
I agree that cost is not the best measure of a pedal. Those circuits are dirt cheap to reproduce and nothing you’re stepping on is a new creation regardless of what the demo video says.

Drunk kicking a pedal sounds pretty fun.