1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tried my first computer modeler, Very Nice!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dhuber, Jan 7, 2013.

1. dhuber

dhuber Tele-Meister

I bought a used M-Audio Fast Track Pro Interface for my computer and installed the demo of Amplitube 3. The Windows 7 driver for Fast Track Pro works with Windows 8 too. I know a little about computers but I had a hard time making the Amplitube work. There is a setting in Amplitube that was set to Direct X, that has to be changed to ASIO. I installed this on my desk top Windows 7 and my old laptop with Windows 8. I noticed annoying latency when I started playing it through the laptop, but I must of clicked something because after 2 minutes I could not detect any latency. The demo only has 5 amps with 3 usable for guitar: Clean 1, Clean 2, and British Tube Lead. I'm not trying to sell any of these products but I just spent 2 hours on these three amps and they sound wonderful. Clean one with 6L6's is Fender clean. Clean 2 I liked with EL34's, it has a nice slightly warm break up. British Tube Lead sounded like a Marshall to me. The demo version of this would be adequate for me. Although I did not see a tap tempo on this version for the delay pedal or rack mount delay. There are only about 7 basic pedals with the demo but they all worked well. Apart from the one setting this software is pretty straight forward and easy to use. I never read any manual I just started pushing buttons and knobs. I still want to try Guitar Rig, Overloud TH2, and Revalver before I buy a full version. One thing I'd like about Amplitube is the ability to buy the Fender amps. My only other modeling amp is a Behringer V Amp 3 that has saw very little use because of it's lack as a modeler. All I can say is amp modeling has come a long way.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  2. dhuber

dhuber Tele-Meister

I can see I'm having a conversation with myself...

I down loaded the Peavey Revalver today. Not bad but I like Amplitude better. Amplitude is very easy and straight forward to setup. I'm a huge Peavey Classic 30 fan and I did not like the Classic 30 model. Although I did not take much time to dial in the right speaker cabinet. I did like the Basic 100 in the Revalver. I did like the fact I could tweak the tubes on the amp and I added a tube rectifier to the Basic 100. That sounded real nice. The Amplitube American Clean with EL 34's in the PA was my favorite. I just sold my Behringer V Amp 3 on eBay today. I don't think I'm going to buy a computer modeling amp or any other modeler at this time. It's too much tweaking and not enough playing.

Playing through a regular amp is so much easier to set up and get a good sound. Even on the fly if one of my pedals is a little off, it's a lot easier to bend over and tweak a knob then use a computer mouse to tweak a knob. I can get about any sound out of my Peavey Classics and array of Boss Pedals.

I also think these computer modelers are a little overpriced. Pay a little more and buy a Fender Mustang Amp and get the hardware and software all in one package.

The only reason I see to use one of the modelers would be for recording to a PC. These new computer modelers are much quieter than my old V-Amp 3.

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You have got to check out the Scuffham S-Gear. I was pretty happy with Guitar Rig, but the S-Gear is getting all of my attention these days. They have a 15-day free trial.

4. ctte2112

ctte2112 Tele-Holic

I like the sound of Amplitube, but it crashed a lot and had too much latency. I don't have either of those problems with Podfarm, but it sounds terrible while you're playing. Guitar Rig is a good compromise. If you use it for recording they all sound good, but playing through a computer is so uninspiring and feels different from a real amp. I agree that a Mustang is a better choice. I think they sound a lot more like a tube amp than any computer modeler and you can take it anywhere without needing a computer, some kind of recording interface, and speakers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.