Tried a Telecaster Vintera 50

mimmo

Poster Extraordinaire
As some of you may know, I am in the process of selling a few guitars, as I am moving to a very small village and have to reduce the amount of things I will bring with me.

After many weeks of thinking, wondering, asking myself etc I came to the conclusion that I want to enjoy just a few good quality guitars, nothing more.

The income I expect in the next five weeks is about 2800/3000 euros, depending on how fast I want to sell. So with this in mind, I went yesterday to the biggest shop in town with the intention of trying a Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb, as it could possibly be my definitive amp.

As my favourite electric is my AV52, I asked the shop manager to try something similar, with a nice chunky neck. He pulled off a Telecaster Vintera 50 in sunburst and a Japanese modified in a stunning white blonde-ish finish.

Liked the pickups and the build quality of the Japanese telecaster, but I was shocked at how much I liked the neck of the Vintera. I immediately felt like I was playing my 52, it was love at first chord. It was very light and resonant, I wanted to try the sonic blue one but this sunburst was so nice! Didn't like the pickups, they were not wrong but my ears are used to the pickups in my AV52 so that's why I didn't appreciate them as I should have, I guess. Or maybe it was just a matter of adjusting the pickup height.

Loved the amp, loved the Tele, I could have the 2 for about 1850 euros. I can only hope that that guitar will still be there when I finally have the money. Today's Fender Mex guitars are really worth it IMHO.

Owners of the Tele Vintera 50, how are you liking yours? Feel free to post your comments.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
I don't own a Vintera, but after trying one in a shop I liked the neck so much I bought a Vintera 50s neck to replace the neck on my American Special. I love the 7.25" radius and the nice, chunky feel.

adjason

Poster Extraordinaire
I like my 50's vintera in red tele. I kind of waver on the pickups too- they are kind of quiet and I am more used to a bit more output and staggered pickups on a real radiused neck like they have. Yep chunky neck for sure. If you find one you like sell something and snatch it up!

IrishBread69

Tele-Meister
I rate the Vintera 50's Modified highly.

Different neck profile, V instead of U. But still plenty chunky. I think the pickups are great too. I have used to vintera 50s set before in my anniversary telecaster and I really liked them.

I was going to say I think the Vintera line is underrated but I actually don't think that's true. They're genuinely really really good guitars and I don't see many compromises Vs my US telecasters.

mimmo

Poster Extraordinaire
If the '52 is so good, why are you looking to get something else?

Not that the Vintera is bad or anything...just asking the question.

Good point. I tried to answer this question in the opening post, sorry if I was not clear.

I went to the shop to check the fender tone master deluxe reverb out and asked to try it with a guitar similar to my 52.
Now I am in trouble because the telecaster vintera I played had a super nice neck, very similar to my 52. Dangerously (for my wallet) similar 😏
Hope it makes sense now.

Fendereedo

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm an owner and love mine, but if it were me I would go for the amp, hang on to the rest of your money until you really are sure you want the Tele. They really are great guitars, but if it were me I would process things a bit before you jump in and buy. Besides you might need some money towards your move. Take care, and choose wisely.

526THz

Tele-Meister
As some of you may know, I am in the process of selling a few guitars, as I am moving to a very small village and have to reduce the amount of things I will bring with me.

After many weeks of thinking, wondering, asking myself etc I came to the conclusion that I want to enjoy just a few good quality guitars, nothing more.

The income I expect in the next five weeks is about 2800/3000 euros, depending on how fast I want to sell. So with this in mind, I went yesterday to the biggest shop in town with the intention of trying a Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb, as it could possibly be my definitive amp.

As my favourite electric is my AV52, I asked the shop manager to try something similar, with a nice chunky neck. He pulled off a Telecaster Vintera 50 in sunburst and a Japanese modified in a stunning white blonde-ish finish.

Liked the pickups and the build quality of the Japanese telecaster, but I was shocked at how much I liked the neck of the Vintera. I immediately felt like I was playing my 52, it was love at first chord. It was very light and resonant, I wanted to try the sonic blue one but this sunburst was so nice! Didn't like the pickups, they were not wrong but my ears are used to the pickups in my AV52 so that's why I didn't appreciate them as I should have, I guess. Or maybe it was just a matter of adjusting the pickup height.

Loved the amp, loved the Tele, I could have the 2 for about 1850 euros. I can only hope that that guitar will still be there when I finally have the money. Today's Fender Mex guitars are really worth it IMHO.

Owners of the Tele Vintera 50, how are you liking yours? Feel free to post your comments.
Great!! Couldn't agree more! Proud owner of a Vintera 50s Road Worn. The (uncoated) neck is beautiful! With the PUs I have (Twisted Tele at the neck, Vintage at the bridge) make it a great guitar!

mimmo

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm an owner and love mine, but if it were me I would go for the amp, hang on to the rest of your money until you really are sure you want the Tele. They really are great guitars, but if it were me I would process things a bit before you jump in and buy. Besides you might need some money towards your move. Take care, and choose wisely.

Good point here, thanks a lot my friend.
Maybe the memory of that neck is still "fresh" on my hands, in a few days I will forget it or at least take my time before making any decision.

Amp wise, I know I loved it and it is time to upgrade from my entry level fender.

Last edited:

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
I don't own an actual Vintera, but a partscaster made essentially from parts of a Vintera with my own choice of pickups and electronics. I love the guitar but they are expensive in my opinion. They will do the trick.

TunedupFlat

Tele-Meister
I've used a couple of friends Vintera's and they are pretty good. As far as a choice between that and upgrading an amp I would choose an amp.( I did last month. Went out for a telecaster came home with a super clean 1975 Super Reverb)

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Neck not chunky.

Deep ? Yep.

But narrow like typical Fender.

Overall really like the guitars (esp tomato soup color) but the neck size and vintage radius were the killers.

mimmo

Poster Extraordinaire
Neck not chunky.

Deep ? Yep.

But narrow like typical Fender.

Overall really like the guitars (esp tomato soup color) but the neck size and vintage radius were the killers.

That's the beauty of life, to each their own. The neck size and the vintage radius (and frets) were the selling point for me.

I agree with you, overall these are very nice guitars.

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Well, it does kinda look like tomato soup haha

I briefly had a road worn version that I really wanted to like (bought it sight unseen on sale Guitar Center website), but everything except the neck was pretty substandard--heavy, poor neck/socket fit, didn't care for the pickups, couldn't get it set up like I like, etc. Did love the smooth feel and radius of the neck. I'm sure it was just a lemon, I'd love to find another. It was that light blue color (sonic?) and was beautiful. Took it in for a refund after about a week.