1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tried a 52RI today...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Volitan, Aug 24, 2011.

1. barndog

barndog TDPRI Member

Amen! And also, a 52 Reissue is going to sound different depending on who's playing it. A 52 Reissue will sound different when you play it, it will sound different if I play it, which probably sounded different than when Volitan played it. And I'm not talking about skill levels (which I need working on!), but on individual technique, feel and playing style.

I think the 52 Reissue has one of the best bridge pickup sounds I've heard in a Telecaster. But I will say this, I have to agree on the sticky neck. I don't have a 52 Reissue, but I brought my Hamer Artist into the music store I go to. The tech expertly used steel wool and a light sandpaper and the neck feels much better now with a lot of that excess finish gone.

2. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

'52 AVRIs pick their players, and you were NOT chosen.

But that's okay...

Somewhere, a Yngwie signature Strat awaits you with wide open arms

:D

3. buckallred

buckallred Tele-Meister

I bought one. Took it home, played it. Tiny frets and sharp radius. Did not like. Did A-->B comparison to my 83 tele with larger frets and flat radius. Posted a "for sale" ad on craigslist that night and sold the 52RI the next day. Will never, ever sell my 83 tele.

4. Tele-Champ

Tele-Champ Tele-Holic

I played a '52RI the other day for the first time and really liked it. The guy had it strung with 8's! Never had played a guitar strung with 8's before.. Lotsa bendability there, but I don't think I'd put that low a gauge on there myself...
    (He said he only fingerpicked the '52RI with the 8's on it, so as to avoid string breakage.)

I did like the '52RI, though. However:

+1 on the '83 Tele, buckallred. Just re-bonded with my '83 after neglecting it for awhile.. Forgot how great of a Tele this thing is!

[​IMG]

5. jedi

jedi Tele-Holic

Look for a used CS "NoCaster"...for a few bucks more than the '52 you will have IMHO one of the greatest guitars Fender has produced during modern times.:D

6. SolidSnakeBoss

SolidSnakeBoss Tele-Meister

A few bucks more? What is it like 10 or 20 bucks more?

7. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

Each to their own - I love vintage frets, can't stand big speedbumps on my necks

8. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

+1

And even fairly subtle variations can make-or-break it for you. The neck carve and the rounding of the fretboard edge in particular can make a huge difference.

I've never found a 52RI that I connected with, ie, where I got that 'don't want to put this down' feeling. Never. But once I found an old Japanese Fender 52RI in a shop and it just felt so right. Same general specs as the USA 52RI but for some reason it didn't feel 'old fashioned 1950s'. I've also owned a MIM 50s Classic Esquire which also felt 'modern' to play.

So keep looking.

9. Ati EDGE

Ati EDGE Tele-Meister

Try a Road Worn tele with C neck and 6105 frets. I am sure you will like it! :D

10. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

So that's why I've had so many of 'em!! :lol:

Hey, I must be one of the lucky ones - '52RIs won't leave me alone! ;)

Thanks,

11. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

+1

Thanks,

12. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I did change the neck on mine, not because of fret size, but because I like a thicker neck with a V shape. I did go to 6105's with the new neck. My 52ri has a great set of OV picups in it, and it's always in the top 2 of my favorite teles.

13. ThreeChorder

ThreeChorder Tele-Meister

See my recent thread about my '52 Thin Skin. It has a chunkier neck and 6105 fret wire and great '52 looks.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/288324-ngd-52-thin-skin-tele.html

14. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

If he Hated the small Vintage frets and 7.25 Radius on the AVR 52,

why on Earth would you think he would Bond w/ a Nocaster ??

15. Rokatt88

Rokatt88 Tele-Holic

I've played my '83 tele since 1984 and just picked up my 52 AVRI this last Feb.

I love both guitars' neck & fret differences and don't have any problem or issues with the play-a-bility of either.

Set up right they both RAWK! :D

Attached Files:

16. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Now, THAT'S a good question! ;)

17. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

My 52 has pretty large frets straight from Fender. Also the finish is fine. I know some acid finger people that go thru strings like crazy perhaps those same folks have trouble with nitro. In any case try it before you buy it works pretty well for most major tranactions.
    B

18. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Let me guess: you have a Thin Skin version? (Bigger frets, less sticky than the standard AVRI's).

19. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

I like vintage frets, but combined with sticky finish on the fretboard..? That would suck.

20. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Tele-Afflicted

I'm in the LOVER camp. I have an '02 it just rocks. To each his own and find a guitar that you like and want to play and all is good with the world.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.