Trick or treat. Best and worst candy

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bluego1, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

image.jpg I don’t know if you would call this candy but I have fond memories of Halloween because of my father. Way back in the 60s he worked for a very large pie factory that was known throughout the northeast. We would give out mini pies similar to the ones you may find in Walmart now. In fact the same company is a supplier of those pies to Walmart now. Everyone loved coming to our house. I still remember kids eyes when a pie was dropped in their bag!
    So the next time you go in Walmart look for those small pies in the bakery, that’s them.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    Bluego1 likes this.
  2. clingin_on

clingin_on Tele-Meister

You can't go wrong with full-size Snickers...

ec9bba7d140ddc6f2fa18f5f6007e6369d08fadf41c37d7c5a0b92b08c39edba_1.jpg

3. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Taffy- Good and bad. Horrible for the teeth but easily pulls the loose ones.

Bluego1 likes this.
  4. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Years ago I saw a young lass in a brown t-shirt that had "Fun Size" stenciled across the bustline.

Timbresmith1, Ronzo and Bluego1 like this.
  5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Smarties or Candy Korn are + for me.

Bluego1 likes this.
  6. Happy Enchilada

When I was a kid, there was an old lady on the corner that made popcorn balls and gave 'em out at Halloween. The people across the street took Tootsie Pops and wrapped them in Kleenex so they looked like a ghost. One other neighbor gave out small inedible apples. And we roamed the neighborhood in packs without adult supervision. When we got to junior high age, we did "tricks" like soaping windows and decorating trees with TP. Today we'd be rounded up and tried as "domestic terrorists."

Today's parents take little Duhkotah to Target and buy him/her a $50 costume so they can cruise the "Trunk or Treat Harvest Festival Celebration Extravaganza" at the local church or fire station instead of letting the kids do it for real because they're scared of perverts, etc. And they wonder why Duhkotah and McKenzee and Krystull end up living at home until they're 35.

Hey - Why isn't there a Jack O' Lantern emoji???

7. Happy Enchilada

^^^^ My boys and I do this for deer hunts. Get up at oh dark thirty, and one boy liked coffee and chocolate chip cookies, the other likes Powerade and granola bars. Dad prefers coffee and beef jerky. You don't go hunting or fishing with Dad to upgrade your diet ... you go to have FUN. And all that sugar keeps 'em frosty so they're ready to set the hook or to throw down on Bambi. Guess it puts some of the "toxic" into "toxic masculinity." :D

drlucky, Bluego1 and Recce like this.
  8. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Reese’s cups or pieces and Snickers are my fave
    I like Twirlers but not enough to buy.
    Candy corn never rocked my boat.

Bluego1 likes this.
  9. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

When I was 7, I remember one house on the block that just threw a handful of raisons into my bag. I looked down at my bag and then up at them thinking - WTH?

drlucky, Timbresmith1 and Bluego1 like this.
  10. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I use to go all out. Full size bars. I also had some Godiva boxed Truffles I passed out. Two-piece foil-wrapped box for those I knew, and four piece box for the parents. Halloween happens here only once year. Why skimp?

Bluego1 likes this.
  11. edvard

edvard Friend of Leo's

BEST:
    If I'm buying for myself, Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups. Ohh. Emm. Gee. I can eat a whole 16oz bucket in one sitting, though I pay for it later, so I haven't done that in a long while. Reese's makes for a passable substitute.
    I'm a bit on the north side of 'OK' for candy corn. The trick is to bite off the colors one at a time (white point, yellow middle, orange crown) to savor the distinct flavors that combine to make the candy corn gestalt. The sum is less than its parts, sadly. Or maybe I'm weird.

WORST:
    Black licorice; cannot stand the stuff. Peppermints are tolerable, but are always somehow the last ones left in the dish. Those little chocolate things with the cherry and associated 'liqueur' goo inside; ugh, taste like cough medicine.

Bluego1 and Timbresmith1 like this.
  12. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Full size Milky Way bars are handed out here .

Bluego1 and Timbresmith1 like this.
  13. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Friend of Leo's

Yeah, it's shocking that Baby Ruth - unquestionably the best candy bar on the planet - is not showing up more prominently in this thread!!! :)

But Paydays are great, too. It must be a refined taste that is not for the masses. :lol:

One year we gave out giant chocolate bars, 8 Oz or something, just for a kick because it would have been my fantasy as a kid. Didn't seem to get much reaction from the visiting goblins so we went back to the usual basket of mini-candies. It all seemed to fall apart when curfews were imposed and it transitioned to daytime trick or treating. Caving in to fear IMO.

Bluego1, Chiogtr4x and Timbresmith1 like this.
  14. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

The best was the lips, candy cigarettes, Slo-Poke, Charleston Chew, Bubble Yum and Boston Baked Beans.
    Worst? Zotz or those dots on paper. I’m not including the stoner house that literally gave out rocks because they saw it on the Charlie Brown Great Pumpkin.

Bluego1 likes this.
  15. Timbresmith1

Leaves. Looks for “What’s your address” thread from a few days ago.

Bluego1 likes this.
  16. Timbresmith1

Jolly Rancher hate? Canker sores.

Bluego1 likes this.
  17. Timbresmith1

Milky Way?

Happy Enchilada and Bluego1 like this.
  18. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

We live in an apartment building now, with 4 garden buildings in a cul-de-sac and lots of kids.

Every year we buy plenty of candy, mostly chocolate ( all mini stuff Hersheys, Reeses, etc.) for Trick or Treating- assuming that the kids would just knock on all the apartment doors ( we live on ground floor too), and make out big, without having to walk too much.

But it NEVER happens! Either the kids stay put in their homes, or all go to other neighborhoods?
    We always end up eating all the great candy we get, including mini Paydays!
    Will do the same this time around, see what happens...

Timbresmith1 and Bluego1 like this.
  19. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Another vote for PB cups. Tootsie Rolls are the worst. Rock hard filling removers.

Bluego1 likes this.
  20. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's

Best: Chick-O-Stick and there's a mile gap before you get to second
    Worst: Payday

Bluego1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.