1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Trevor Wilkinson is treating us to something really special.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Blazer, May 8, 2010.

1. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

I agree blazer, it is a very nice tribute to the bigsby guitars and I like how they mixed elements of early telecasters in there. For people saying it's over the top, to me that's just in the style of the bigsby's.

2. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Tele-Afflicted

I don't think he nailed the Bigsby aestethic - close, but no cigar IMO. Not even close on second thought. The pickguard and headstock detail are busier and more baroque than typical Bigsby, and he could have put an aluminum bridge on there instead of...a Gibson bridge? A mini-humbucker? Why not some kind of Bigsby replica pickup? A birdseye maple top would have been "more Bigsby" than the opaque butterscotch, there's no binding, headstock isn't remotely Bigsby-shaped, no spades and diamonds and heart inlays, etc.....
    The more you compare it to Bigsby's guitars, the less it looks like a good tribute to me.

3. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, it's medium cool, a variation on a theme. Decent execution, nice to see something different.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I agree. Very well summarized.

Looking at the execution without historical reference, it appears to me the small control plate is ALMOST aligned north south. But not quite. The design gets off on the wrong foot just with that detail alone.

----

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  5. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Appreciate it, but not for me is all....

6. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is Trevor Wilkinson we're talking about: here's a guy who designed revolutionary bridge and tuner designs, he's not going to revert to placing an impossible-to-intonate aluminium Bigsby bridge or those weak Kluson seal fast tuners on that guitar for the sake of authenticity.

He's approaching this with the modern 21'th century player in mind and be honest, YOU wouldn't play on a guitar that has no proper intonation or wouldn't stay in tune either.

7. redmonster13

redmonster13 TDPRI Member

I like it, but I wouldnt pay money for it.

8. stranded horse

stranded horse Tele-Meister

yuck

9. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Tele-Afflicted

Well, not to be the contrarian, but you'd be surprised how well a pre-compensated Bigsby style saddle intonates - they've become available compensated for a plain G (although hard to get...), and there's really no problem whatseover. And Aluminum is easy material to work with, and certainly for someone as handy as Wilkinson - a custom bridge that compensates comes to mind.

My main player, btw, has a straight bar bridge, and surprisingly intonates great with a set of 11's with a plain G, on a 24 3/4" scale guitar no less! On the longer 25 1/2" scale, it's even easier to make semi-crude designs intonate if you don't use tiny strings. (not that there's anything wrong with that, not being sarcastic)

And the vintage Klusons, or indeed Gotoh's or Wilkinson's upgrades of them work just fine - a guitar rarely ever goes out of tune because of the tuners btw, the bridge or nut are usually the culprit.
    And Kluson Sealfasts, their deluxe tuner as found on upscale Gibsons are high quality enclosed gear tuners that were never on Fenders or Bigsbies. I didn't mention anything about tuners btw, along with the tailpiece and bridge surrounds, the tuners on this guitar are the only thing that match a Bigsby guitar!

Anyway, I was just saying I miss certain design elements, mostly cosmetic, that would have made this a much more Bigsby-looking tribute in my opinion, this one looks like someone eyeballed a picture of a Bigsby and started work on this guitar a year later from memory, almost.
    And the humbucker I just don't get in the context of this guitar.

All IMO, and YMMV, peace.

10. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I have been considering a bigsby-esque Tele but it needs a birdseye top and there are way too many screws. All the screws make the accents look like an afterthought. The only thing that should be screwed on is the pickguard and pickup surround. The other pieces ahould be ebony or some sort of rosewood and glued on with a small radius on the top edge of the pieces. The pickguard looks too much like flames and I don't like the headstock overlay, too many pointy things on both of those.

11. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Nice woodwork, but it just looks wrong to me. Too many curliques; too busy to the point of looking out of balance.

12. cotecj

cotecj Tele-Holic

I'm definitely a "simpler is better" kind of person, but despite that, I like it. There are a few details that I would do differently if I was in charge, but all told, I think it works.

13. robt57

I wonder what the comments might be if someone posted this as an eBay guitar with no mention of Trevor??

Just saying...

14. Alex M

Alex M Tele-Meister

Yurg. It's like a doily.

15. robt57

Doily Caster, That's what my feeble brain was attempting to assimilate... Thank you. ;)

16. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Why does it need all that stuff on it?

It's like a Hyundai with a spoiler kit.

17. Fatmanstratman

Fatmanstratman Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

Good work, Holmes!....:D

18. Chet Johnson

Chet Johnson Tele-Afflicted

I'd like to have seen your name on the peghead.

19. BootRoots

BootRoots Tele-Holic

hmm.....it needs a BIGSBY!

20. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

Keep the p/g.

Lose the brigde condom, the huge tail piece, the other doohicky on the body and the headstock thingy and you have a win.

As it is too rococo, too ornate, too busy for my eye.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.