Tres Recogida Especial

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mike Simpson, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Maricopa... I guess you would know since you play a guitar with 4 pickups...

Randy, I sold the National Tele a while back. Different pickups sound better at different heights. The guitar sounded fine but I wasn't playing it anymore since I built the first pinecaster... Yeah I will post a sound file when it's done.

2. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Maricopa... I guess you would know since you play a guitar with 4 pickups...

D'oh! :D

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This looks great, Mike!

++

Don't mean to be a troublemaker, but I kinda like the proto pickguard (with no coverage over the horn) shown in post #47.

If you don't use that shape soon, maybe I will! :D

4. Mike Simpson

Boris, do you mean this shape here?

[​IMG]

5. Mike Simpson

I pretty much finished this 3 P-90 Tele tonight except for adjusting the pickup height.

6. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Tele-Afflicted

With that pickplate and P90s it's like there's some SG Special DNA in that guitar.

7. boris bubbanov

It looks great, but I like the one envisioned by the white paper template in post # 47, except with the pickguard over the horn itself deleted as on a Thinline pickguard.

8. Mike Simpson

Boris, Do you mean to cut off the horn the same shape as the pickguard?
    Sort of a Macaferi cutaway?

9. boris bubbanov

The body is fine. I just like the white paper pattern shown in # 47 with the horn portion of the pickguard removed as a pickguard shape, leaving the body as it is.

I dunno what a Macaferi cutaway is but I assume that is like a Rice Osprey or a Soloway Swan? No, I don't see that.

10. Mike Simpson

Here is a picture of this guitar all done. I will work on posting a sound file next week.

Tres Recogida Especial (pronounced recoheeda means 3 pickup special)
    Pine body, I made the stainless steel control plate, neck plate and B/W/B pickguard, Allparts TMO-fat neck with Planet Waves locking tuners, brass ferrule bar, 5 way switch, push pull tone pot and a Big D Varitone. The finish is ReRanch Shoreline Gold nitro and Behlens clear nitro with a couple of drops of honey amber transtint.

Attached Files:

11. Mike Simpson

I took this guitar out to the blues jam last night and it has some great sounds and tonal variety.

12. hackworth1

hackworth1 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Looks fantastic. Excellent work. Did you use two neck pickups and one bridge pickup or two bridge pickups and one neck pickup?

13. Mike Simpson

I bought a N & B set from Eastwood and the middle I bought from the TDPRI classifieds that was sold as a "Gibson P-90" and I don't know what it was originally made for.

14. hackworth1

hackworth1 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Thanks. Do you still have the push pull switch for the bridge pickup in the circuit? When you get around to it, have you a diagram of your wiring layout?

15. Mike Simpson

Yes it has a push pul pot on the tone so when the 5 way is in position 1 or 2 you can add the bridge by pulling up the tone pot knob. This adds the N+B and N+M+B to the standard 5 way switch so there are 7 pickup combinations possible. It also has a 5 position varitone switch and the tone pot still functions when the varitone is selected and the varitone has a 6th position that bypasses the varitone.

Here is my wiring thread and hand drawn diagram as well as a similar diagram by Deaf Eddie that is the same except he switches the neck pickup instead of the bridge.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/just-pickups/196558-wiring-diagram-3-p-90s.html

16. 2Wheels

2Wheels TDPRI Member

Mike,

I have to say in front of all the Tele-gods and mankind...THIS ONE is the complete package. Color and trim combo works perfectly together and is evident of a well thought out and executed build. It is 'crisp' and super clean.

Keep them coming please. Don't hold back - get busy with it! I'm thinking you need to build me one before too long....
    Thanks for sharing your talent.

17. Mike Simpson

Well to me no guitar is complete without it's own strap that stays with that guitar. I usually make them fitted "just for me" so they don't need any buckles or extra adjustment holes. I decided this guitar should have a "vintage" looking skinny strap with a padded slide. I elected to not do any tooling and just put an outline groove on the strap and I used white stitching because the pickguard is B/W/B.

Here is the leather for the pad cut out and I bought a belt blank from Tandy to use for the strap so I could get 1 piece that long with no seams or splices. I wetted the leather and skieved off the corners to round the edges.

Attached Files:

18. Mike Simpson

Once I had the out line groove on the strap and the stitching groove on the pad with the stitch locations marked with a star wheel I dyed the leather black with USMC black dye.

Attached Files:

19. Mike Simpson

Then I dyed the back of the leather on the sheepskin black in case it was visible through the strap slot and then I glued the sheepskin to the pad leather with elmers rubber cement. The rubber cement remains flexible and holds the sheepskin in place while I punch the holes with an awl and stitch the pad on.

Attached Files:

20. Mike Simpson

Then I stitched the sheepskin on with white thread (remember the pickguard is B/W/B) and used some Pecards leather dressing on all the leather to keep it moist and flexible.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.