Tremolux Head Build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by BigDaddy23, Jan 17, 2019.

1. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Meister

Heres a few pics of my Tremolux build. It’s based on the 5e9a schematic with a tweak to the second input for more gain.

I bent and drilled the chassis myself from 1.5mm aluminium (a bit of a nightmare!!) polished the front and back panels and used my custom decals covered with about 10 coats of clear lacquer. I made the cabinet from birch ply and went with a bit of a vintage look with the tolex and cloth combo. The Ace logo is 3D printed after faffing about in Adobe Illustrator and CAD. I printed them in black, sprayed them silver then wet/dry sanded and polished the letters back to black. Clear coat thereafter.....I like them!

I might add that I’m actually a bass player .
    91B0CF6E-DA00-4D18-9AE8-70BD694C572E.jpeg

2BEFA9FF-7F53-4C80-B9C8-605D60D184B9.jpeg

3CA8A348-A171-40A8-A749-A0071179C0D5.jpeg

D0E997E9-747F-4CD9-9159-80607858B743.jpeg

2. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Holic

Wow! How very nice that is!
    Please tell us more about how the tone control cirquit works and what the weight is. How would you describe the tones?

3. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Meister

Thanks mate!

The tone is as per this schematic tremolux_5e9-a_layout.gif

The only difference is I used a 680nf in place of the 500 bright cap and the marshall style input. The head weighs about 4kg. Sound wise, there is a noticable boost between the 2 inputs with earlier breakup in the higher gain channel. With an A/B pedal, you can switch between the 2......a poor man's boost switch!

Compared to the 5e3, the low end/low mids are way tighter. I'll get one of the guitarists to record a few sound grabs. Single coils and p90's both sound full to my ear.

JustABluesGuy and trouserpress like this.
  4. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

Nice work. That 3D printed logo is especially impressive!

5. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

Very nice! You're a brave man bending your own chassis. I pride myself as a DIY type of guy, but I tried that once and gave up in despair. Good work all around on this build.

6. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Beautiful work.

7. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Meister

Thanks - the engineering blokes at work have a big pan brake and guillotine which they let me use. The little 90deg lip bends limited how tall I could make the front face but I think it worked OK. Everything is easier with the right tools! Driling the holes was more difficult. I had to make 3 block spacers when drilling the faces to stop the aluminium distorting.....I used 2 of them as end blocks. They have 6mm T Nuts through them to allow securing of the chassis through the sides of the cabinet. You can see them under the shielded cable in the 2nd pic.

I should take some better pics of the finished product

8. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

That explains why they look so good. I tried doing it the Uncle Doug way -- he has a vid where he successfully makes a chassis using a sheet of steel, a sledgehammer, and some 2X4s. But my results were -- let's say -- not worthy of comment.

9. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Meister

Haha - Ive seen that vid. He has been a wealth of knowledge in my journey thus far. Given how well he restores old cars etc, I'm not surprised that he can make "a silk purse from a pigs ear!!"

10. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Meister

Finally got round to building a small cab for this head (and the Marshall 18w I’ve started building ). I have a 10” 60w British Invasion WGS speaker for it.

The grill cloth will be the same as the head face with the silver piping perimeter. That will happen during the week sometime. I also need to grab some more cup washers for the lower panel as per the top.

B6718365-6ECE-4448-A7E9-A3897CA2EAFE.jpeg

24CA4075-5FF1-4307-BEC9-818EA8510F84.jpeg

teletimetx, PaceAmps, robrob and 2 others like this.
  11. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Meister

Should have mentioned that this will primarily be used for recording and small gigs.

12. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Beautiful build, you should be immensely proud! What a gem!

BigDaddy23 likes this.
  13. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Meister

So I gave this a run today - cab has a WGS British Invasion Retro 10.

I found the tone control a little wooly and I'd like to get a bit more treble response on the tone knob. It is certainly more noticable in Channel 1 (lower gain) but is also present in Channel 2 but less so. I tried it with a couple different guitars with similar results. See above pics of the board and layout for reference. Note I built it left to Right (ie mirror image) compared to the layout diagram above.

The tone control is as per the fender layout above with 1meg pot but with a 680pf bright cap in between the tone and vol 2 pot and the 0047 tone cap. Can anyone suggest a way to get a bit more high end? I was thinking about changing the bright cap to the original 500pf, putting the 680pf as the tone cap and dropping the value of the large 0.1uf coupling cap in V1B to a smaller value eg 0.022uf.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  14. robrob

I'd try another speaker. The circuit itself should have plenty of highs.

BigDaddy23 likes this.
  15. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Meister

Any recommendations from the WGS 10” line? Perhaps something from the American Vintage?

16. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Meister

I went ahead and ordered a WGS American Vintage G10C. This should provide a much brighter sound for this head.

The Retro 10 should be a better match to the Marshall 18w head I am building at the moment. It's a 5min job to swap the speaker so I'm not planning on building another cab!

17. robrob

The 10" Veteran is nice but it's rated at only 20 watts. Two of them in a cab would be perfect though. If you must go with a single 10" then their G10C would be the way to go to add highs.

Edit: I see your previous post. Good choice.

18. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Meister

Thanks Rob.

This amp is fabulous...ch 1 Tremolux for great cleans, get the volume up for some nice grit. Ch 2 for big OD and lead tones. And then there's the tremolo :eek:. I'll post some recordings once we get in the studio with it.

robrob likes this.
  19. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

That is bad ass. Truly great work.

BigDaddy23 likes this.
  20. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

Sweet! That badge is Ace!

BigDaddy23 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.