Tremolo unit for archtop?

gmm52

Tele-Holic
I want to put a trem on my Godin Fifth Avenue Kingpin archtop. I'm not holding out much hope of finding one that suits me (searching the internet has turned up nothing so far), but has anyone seen any tremolo units for archtop guitars other than Bigsby? I find the bar on their units doesn't come over the strings far enough for me.

Last edited:

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
I want to put a trem on my Godin Fifth Avenue Kingpin archtop. I'm not holding out much hope of finding one that suits me (searching the internet has turned up nothing so far), but has anyone seen any tremolo units for archtop guitars other than Bigsby? I find the bar on their units doesn't come over the strings far enough for me.

Godin sells several versions of the 5th Ave with Bigsby vibrato units. It's the short unit without a string guide that's usually on archtops. A "B3" maybe?

Wildeman

Tele-Holic
Godin sells several versions of the 5th Ave with Bigsby vibrato units. It's the short unit without a string guide that's usually on archtops. A "B3" maybe?
B3 is the shorter one, usually on things like a Gretsch Jet, the B6 is the one for bigger archtops like 6120s and 175s, both of these dont have the rollers. The B6 is probably the one for the Godin, to the OP there are several different arms available. Just looked at the Godins and they do come with a B3, if you used a B6 it would definitely put the bar further out past the bridge.
20220415_110028.jpg
this is a B60 on a 16" Gretsch.

Last edited:

jayyj

Tele-Afflicted
If the issue with Bigsbys is you can't rotate the arm up over the strings, then as long as you buy the US version and it's not gold plated you can simply file off the little nub that stops the arm rotating past a certain point and polish it back up so it looks like it was designed that way. Don't try it on a plated one but a 'chrome' B3 or B6 is actually just polished aluminium.

It's a real pain, that nub - vintage units tend to allow a little more upwards rotation but the more recent units would be a lot better without it or at least with it reduced in size.

It's definitely the B3 or B6 you want, not a B7 - the break angle over the bridge on a 5th Ave will be way too steep with the second roller. Between the two, go with a B6 is you want the arm to reach further past the bridge, the B3 if you just want the end of the arm in line your little finger. I've had both on 5th Ave size archtops, either will work fine.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
B3 is the shorter one, usually on things like a Gretsch Jet, the B6 is the one for bigger archtops like 6120s and 175s, both of these dont have the rollers. The B6 is probably the one for the Godin, to the OP there are several different arms available. Just looked at the Godins and they do come with a B3, if you used a B6 it would definitely put the bar further out past the bridge. View attachment 974035 this is a B60 on a 16" Gretsch.

Oh, I just realized what "bar" the OP meant. Maybe they need one like Merle's.

CKXQP_QUkAIop3b.jpg

gmm52

Tele-Holic
That's quite the tricked out whammy bar. I like it.

Thanks for all the replies. I looked at the Bigsby website, but I didn't see any units with a wire arm as mentioned here. I've seen guitars with what I thought were Bigsby licensed trems with a wire arm that I liked, but haven't been able to pinpoint the particular model.

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
Get a Bigsby with the Chet Atkins arm. On the right.
IMG_20220415_155825895.jpg

If that arm isn't long enough there are replacement arms that are longer.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Just found this:

Bigsby wire arm

Will these fit on a B3 or B6? There's no mention of them at Bigsby.

They appear made to fit bigsbys.

I think Merle's were made custom by Paul Bigsby originally. If you get that one in the link, and want a longer arm, you could probably just buy a piece of stainless round stock that same diameter, and bend it to what you want.

TK Smith makes neat custom arms if you want to get really fancy.

jaxjaxon

Tele-Holic
I wont put one on a arch top I think it will deaden the acoustic of the top. I think they could make one that just moves the Trapeze so not much sits on the body. Made like a Duesenberg tremolo but hooked up to the back of the trapeze.
1650057330466.png

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
I helped a friend take the Bigsby off his hollow body and put a nice trapeze tailpiece on it. Only had to fill two holes and he can always drill them back out if he wants to put it back

IMG_6294.JPG

IMG_6295.JPG