Tremolo Non-functional on Danelectro Special Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by MXLBRY, Dec 2, 2019 at 1:26 PM.

1. MXLBRY

MXLBRY TDPRI Member

Hello all!

I've got a Danelectro Special amp from the early 50s. It still has the original speaker, transformers, and caps. A couple changed 6V6 tubes is all. I'm trying to keep it as is without replacing any caps or resistors until it dies, because it sounds like magic.

Issue 1: The tremolo is non-functional. The tremolo on/off foot-pedal is wired in properly to the amp and doesn't do anything when engaged. Could it just be a simple 6SJ7 tube swap to get it working again?

Issue 2: Every time I plug the amp into my basement outlet, it trips the circuit breaker and I have to reset that specific breaker switch in the breaker box. It doesn't trip the breaker box in the rest of the house though, so I'm just wondering if this is a big issue if I want to take the amp out to gig? None of my other amps trip the breaker box in the basement, it's just this one.

Thanks for the input!

ertue7gpoxgebvdfei1v.jpg

Fiesta Red likes this.
  2. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Electrolytic caps are way over due for replacement.

Swapping in a new 6sj7 may revive your tremolo.

a new 3 prong cord would be good idea also.

3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I dont know that particular amp, but yes try the tube , if not that then there may be a resistor or cap related to the trem that fixes it. I had one old Dano amp with an oddball 6 pin tube for trem. It was a tiny cap attached near the tremelo jack or tube socket that fixed it..... can't remember which.
    Have you checked to see if your basement wiring is correct using a plug in receptacle?
    For gigging get a 3 prong cord on it and replace the electrolytics. What's worse? blowing an original transformer or replacing those elytics? Put the old caps in a ZipLoc and save them for resale. Also, you may get shocked big time from a mic or etc.
    Those old Danos are cool, but not high value compared with Fender etc anyway.

MXLBRY likes this.
  4. MXLBRY

MXLBRY TDPRI Member

It's got a 3 prong cord, so I'll try the tube first and then take to amp tech if it still doesn't function.

Yes, I know they're not as valuable, but they have way more vibe and magic than any 5E3 I've owned.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 3:00 PM
    schmee likes this.
  5. MXLBRY

MXLBRY TDPRI Member

Looks like it's going to need a cap job! May as well invest in this amp, since it's got magic and a good story behind it. I know there's better stuff out there I'm sure, like Supro, etc... Just might be hard for me to part with this one!

6. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

I'd be pleased if I had it in the same cosmetic condition even non-working at all...

-tbln

MXLBRY likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.