Tremolo, no tap tempo

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Bergy, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Recently picked up a Boss TR2 unit. It sounds pretty good so I added it to the pedalboard. When it came time to use it on stage, I tried 3 times to sync it up to the tempo of a tune before I gave up. Then something happened I hadn’t even thought of....the drummer subconsciously matched tempos with my darn tremolo pedal. It really bugged me that a stompbox was influencing our tempos. I don’t want that to happen, seems bass ackwards.

Is there any hope of getting better syncing it up with the potentiometers, or should I just scrap it and get something like a TC Pipeline that has a tap tempo?

2. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic

That’s a discussion for you and your drummer. It depends on how many songs have critical tremelo timing.

I come from the school that says tremolo doesn’t have to and probably shouldn’t line up to the beat. But I’m not trying to pull off “how soon is now?”

In the old days the drummer would adjust if he needed. That’s why the song above starts with the tremelo guitar and most of the U2 songs that had a very specific delay time also lead in with guitar.

But it sounds like you’d be happier with a tap.

mitchfinck and noah330 like this.
  3. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

I suggest that before you get on stage (e.g. at home, etc.) try out various adjustments to the "rate" knob, and then make note of each setting...i.e. set rate at 12:00 for Born on the Bayou, 10:00 for Crimson & Clover, etc. You also could put painters tape or label tape or similar on the case to mark knob positions.

4. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

reread your post and ask yourself "What would Link Wray do?"

bo likes this.
  5. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

To get to the bottom line, he's saying to stick a pencil in your tremolo.

6. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

On the one hand, be happy that you play with a drummer who is actually listening to others in the band.

My Trem has always been built into my Fender amps so I set a speed & depth and just play. The knob has ten numbers but I think of it as four settings: really slow, slow, medium, fast.

But I am really intrigued with a lot of the newer trem pedals that can do tap tempo, doubling, six or so wave shapes, or change the ramp-up/ramp-down speed independently of each other. I've heard some really cool stuff on demos that is both classic and modern at the same time.

As for replacing your BOSS trem, on how many songs is this timing thing an issue? If it's just one song I'd figure out the proper settings (a dot of white-out or tape to mark it) and then be sure the drummer is always on the correct tempo (pretty much what Junkyard Dog said above). If it's a problem on multiple songs or you would like to get the trem tempo synced up more often then maybe a new pedal is in your future.

ScribbleSomething and noah330 like this.
  7. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

Had the stereo hardwire trem/rotary that had a tap tempo feature that I never used or an optional footswitch. Gives you all sorts of sounds.

8. sclitheroe

sclitheroe Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

This is awesome

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.