Tremolo help

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by gwjensen, Jan 27, 2014.

1. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Been done to death, I know, but thought I'd get some more current opinions. Here are the ones I'm considering for surf and related instrumental rock (Mermen, Pollo Del Mar, Aqua Velvets, etc.) through Fender style amps with teles and strats. Don't need anything wild or complicated. Want to keep it under $150:

Malekko: Small and simple. I like that, but divided opinions. Almost seems like a love it or hate it pedal.
    Boss TR-2: They know what they're doing. Reliable and predictable, I think, judging from their other pedals. Tried and true?
    Voodoo Lab Tremolo: Popular. I like the volume control and it can double as a boost. Supposed to be warm and natural sounding.
    EHX Pulsar: Good reviews and popular. Great price. Extreme range, which is typical of EHX, so I'm used to that. As long as I can dial it in, the extremes don't matter. Good tone, allegedly. Leaning toward this one.

Basically looking for the most "natural" amp-like tremolo tone with the least amount of coloration. Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but any opinions or other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

2. teleman55

teleman55 Tele-Holic

I love trem and have just used the trem on my old silverface fender amps. When I wanted to have the trem with my el84 amp, I'd use boss tr2. Gave me the same groove in a pedal. Also they are under your price new and even less used.

3. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

demeter

4. shovelrider

shovelrider Tele-Afflicted

The Joyo gets great reviews for around $35.

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Tremolo for surf? My Rogue $29.00 MFSDofTD does the job. It is pretty bright for other stuff, but good for surf. My old trem was more organic, but way too dark. FWIW

6. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I own two of the pedals you mentioned and IMO the Boss does the best job for "classic" Fender amp style trem. The Pulsar was a gift and I never really bonded with it. It did something to the high end of my signal that was very harsh to my ears. I will say that the Pulsar goes to far greater extremes than the Boss does, so if you want the more radical trem sounds you might look there. As for me, the minute I got my Boss to my board it went on, the Pulsar came off, and I never looked back!

7. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Voodoo Labs in my experience sounds exactly like the trem in my DRRI, so it would be very suitable for surf rock. The volume knob helps compensate for the loss in average volume you get when you turn a tremolo on (which happens in my amp) ... The Boss is nice too.

8. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

You can't wrong with this... I have it, and it sounds great!!

Voodoo Lab Tremolo: Popular. I like the volume control and it can double as a boost. Supposed to be warm and natural sounding.

tremolo_lg.jpg

9. Flatfoot

Flatfoot Tele-Meister

Another vote for the TR-2 here!

10. gwjensen

Now I'm leaning away from the EHX and toward the Boss and VL. Appreciate the input!

11. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Of those on your list, I like the Voodoo Lab. Sounds great. May not be an issue currently, but the only problem I've ever had with VL was bypass switches that went faulty too quickly, three different switches if I recall correctly. Having said that, VL customer service is excellent and they've always taken care of me. And it's been quite a while, so switch problems w/ VL stomps may be totally resolved by now.

12. gwjensen

yeah, I've heard that a lot about the switches, but never had a problem myself with my old Sparkle Drive. Thanks for the input.

13. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire

I like the Boss with the Keeley mod. It still comes in relatively cheap. A used Demeter Tremulator would work great too. The only reason I prefer the Boss is the top mounted wave adjustment and the fact that the Demeter's "normal" range (like that of an old amp) is a little "small" on the knobs during live situations.

14. t.e.l.e.

t.e.l.e. Tele-Meister

Try the t-rex tremster! I love mine, very warm fenderish and in your price range. Another good option is the ehx tube wiggler, but a big mama of pedal. I also have a schaller tremolo, very 50th/60th like, great for surf, but terrible handling to find the sweet spot. I tried a lovepedal trem, the tr-2 and the tremster. Tremster won!

15. tonedreamer

tonedreamer Tele-Holic

16. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's

Don't overlook the cheapies! I love the Dano Tuna Melt, and the Mooer Trelicopter.

17. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

I've owned the Boss one, borrowed the Voodoo Lab, and currently use a Pulsar. I like all three. Of these three, the Voodoo Lab sounds ampiest, and I like the volume control. Pulsar has the best chop and I like the sparkle of it's buffer when the pedal is on. The Boss is a plain old workhorse and will work fine.

I have the Pulsar second to last in my chain (Ditto looper after it) and I leave it on all the time, the depth knob rolled all the way down to turn the trem off. I can roll it up with my toe easily to turn it on. I leave it on all the time because it acts as a buffer at the end of my chain, restoring some high end because I have all true bypass pedals. I don't know technically what's going on, but the Pulsar when on with depth down restores some high end and presence to my sound.

Another reason I favor the Pulsar (and you may not) is that both amps I use for performing have great tremolo, so I use amp trem when I want an amp trem sound. The Pulsar has a great, powerful chop, and pairs perfectly with fuzz.

The last reason I like the Pulsar is that it is fun to play around with. It's fun to use it as a stereo panner and to use it at extreme settings for ring modulation and other weird sounds. I have never used any of these sounds in live performance, but it's still fun.

18. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Oh, and I used to use a Dano Tuna Melt. I really like that pedal.

19. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

This! It does the Fender trem really well.

20. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

Boss TR-2 is the most natural. It is identical to my Twin reverb and Drri. Boss did this on purpose.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.