Trem pedal recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by srblue5, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If I could buy the world one pedal it would be an EHX Stereo Pulsar. Easy as pie with way more versatility than it looks. However...it may not be for the OP. One of the funnest pedals I’ve owned and it’s a trem!

TeleCarlos and northernguitar like this.
  2. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

He doesn’t have to mark it off his list just because you don’t like it. There are at least two of us on this thread that think it is a very fine pedal, particularly the bias tremolo which is what the original poster is after.

The Tre-Verb sounds exactly like my former Princeton’s reverb and trem. My only quibble with it is I wish it had a hall reverb instead of two spring settings. Redundant for me.

3. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Likely any of the recommendations would answer that… however, it’s when you want the trem pedal that life takes on color… then it’s “welcome to the rabbit hole.”

4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Boss TR-2 for me... got a useful waveshape control and volume drop was fixed in newer versions,

5. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I went almost the same path and finish with the same... Keeley modified TR-2

pippoman likes this.
  6. RobSzat

RobSzat TDPRI Member

Milkman F Stop. Dear simple, sounds great, has really nice amp style reverb as well. It won’t be coming off my board

7. bananafist

bananafist Tele-Meister

Have owned SFTR, DR, both had the optical on/off type trem, ok, but.....then I got a PR and a Vibroverb reissue, different early Fender vibrato! The nearest pedal I've tried to the PR trem is the Swamp Thang, and maybe the Strymon, but nothing is quite as cool as the Fender PR and Vibroverb trem. Good luck.

8. wattsupnow

wattsupnow TDPRI Member

I will second the Nobels recommendation. I really like mine - it sounds earthy like a tube based one in an old amp!

Edgebound and G.Rotten like this.
  9. WWLaidback

WWLaidback TDPRI Member

Wampler pedals have impressed me in general. Priced around $150, the Latitude trem comes with tap-tempo:

10. atchdav

atchdav TDPRI Member

I also own a Quaverato and second the above sentiments; a great trem at an affordable price.

I have a BOSS TR-2 too. It also sounds fantastic. Can't go wrong with BOSS.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  11. Coxon Boy

Coxon Boy TDPRI Member

Mojo Hand FX Bayou. Excellent amp-style tremolo, analog, blinking LED in time with the trem, level control to compensate for volume drop which is also capable of a huge boost if required

12. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Exactly!!! Great way to describe it.

13. Muadzin

Muadzin Tele-Meister

When I still used pedals Culturejam's Shoot the Moon tremelo, a simplified DIY version of the 4ms Tremelus Lune, was all the tremelo I needed. Chop or triangle (mostly chop), depth and speed are the only controls I need.

14. Blackshadowrider

Blackshadowrider TDPRI Member

I think for the price and pedal trem you cannot go wrong with the Boss TR. I really am interested on buying a Strymon Flint but at $300 it is an expensive pedal cost for me but the three trem options offer some good options and then you also get three reverbs. I am a 65 Fender DRRI user and my amp trem as gotten noisy and unusable, my be the tube I do not know yet. Amp repairs are also expensive.

Maguchi likes this.
  15. donnyrocker

donnyrocker TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Using the one in my Twin, erroneous dubbed "Vibrato."

I have an older Fulltone Supa-Trem that is on the noisy side.

Kmise: $10 used, gets the job done. Danelectro Tuna Melt sounds good.

16. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

I have a Subdecay Vagabond Tremolo that nails every need I could possibly ever have in a tremolo. Harmonic, bias, envelope control, volume knob, plus it sounds incredible. I’m glad I didn’t waste my money trying/buying any others first.

17. Benditslow

Benditslow TDPRI Member

Fulltone supa-trem. I’ve tried a bunch & the supa-trem all ways finds its way back to my board.

18. Kansas

Kansas TDPRI Member

I needed a trem for a few tunes we are doing. I bought the Ibanez mini one. It’s been perfect. I used it live for the first time Saturday night and that was about the only thing I was 100% happy with. Small and cheap too!

19. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I second what chiogtr said. I haven’t tried all the trem pedals out there, but of the ones I’ve tried, none of them worked better than my Boss TR2, some not as well, and BOSS’ quality is impeccable. Plus, all BOSS pedals have a nice buffer built in so you won’t need to buy a separate pedal for that. For that reason alone it’s good to have a couple of them in your chain. I’m done wit the trem pedal search.

To me, trem should be a simple thing to work with and the TR2 is just that.

20. hotdotdog

hotdotdog TDPRI Member

I am a tremolo junkie and have owned pretty much every tremolo pedal there is. (been gigging over 50 years) The best PRRI type sounding is a Modified Boss TR2. There are a couple outfits modifying them. One is Alchemy Audio and they put a boost circuit in it so the volume doesn't drop below your non-tremolo volume and they put a circuit in the lets the LED flash in time with the tempo when it is disengaged so you can see what speed it's pulsing at. The best part though is the sound. It's a legitimate Fender sound. You can find them on reverb.com https://reverb.com/item/38895819-boss-tr-2-tremolo

Maguchi and jays0n like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.