Trem pedal recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by srblue5, Jun 12, 2021.

1. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Holic

After years of owning a PRRI, I’ve finally started experimenting with the tremolo. I’ve generally been a plug-straight-in-with-no-effects kind of player but in recent years, I’ve start to add some coloration with effects.

I love the trem on the PRRI but my other gig/rehearsal amps (Peavey Bandit and ZT Lunchbox) don’t have a trem feature so I’m looking into a trem pedal.

Any recommendations for a Fender-like trem pedal, ideally under $200 CDN? I know there’s a Tre-Verb Fender pedal but it’s out of my range price-wise at this time.

bluesguy62, sjclip, Seasharp and 6 others like this.
  2. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

I am in the same boat, so will follow this thread. I looked a bit and was considering the Milkman f-stop, and Henretta Trembletank for a 2 in 1, after hearing lots of demos. Mr. Black also had one that sounded pretty good.

But I gave up after too many choices and no clear recommendation surfaced.

3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

For simple, reliable, and bulletproof
    you can't go wrong with the Boss Tremolo

I have owned mine for 20 years, got it originally to use with my blonde Blues Jr.., to give it trem.

I could adjust the controls ( basically all 3 knobs at 1:00 clock) to sound just like the Tremolo ( 'Vibrato') on my '68 Deluxe Reverb, at moderate Speed ( turn Boss pedal Rate up or down as needed...)
    ( DR, sadly gone, BJ and Boss Tremolo, alive and well!)

Not the most versatile Tremolo out there, but for a good Fender -sounding Tremolo, it's a no-brainer

* I am a Boss fanboy - never let me down

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    NiteGoat, Dik Ellis, Maguchi and 10 others like this.
  4. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Monster Effect Swamp Thang!

I had a Strymon Flint and it wasn't close to how swampy cool the Swamp Thang is!

Find them used on Reverb but I understand the company has been restarted by someone else!

My FAVORITE pedal!

Teleka, gmann and Telecaster88 like this.
  5. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

I’ve had good exp with…
    Keeley trem verb.
    Fulltone supertrem
    Boss tremolo.
    Donner
    Mooer

note that tremolo can have the effect of lowering the volume a tad so a pedal with a volume knob comes in handy.

Edgebound and stormsedge like this.
  6. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Holic

The Behringer UT-300 is really, really good. Now at $19.00 from Sweetwater, you can't go wrong. When I ordered mine, it was on sale for $20, but they were out of stock. The sales guy said if I would pre-order, I could have it for $14!

VintageSG, Telecaster88 and NoTeleBob like this.
  7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

The Joyo Trem is affordable and it sounds great.

8. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Admittedly I have not tried a ton of Tremolo Pedals.

My First Tremolo pedal was a Nobles TRX which I traded for a Jimi Wah. Then I bought a Boss. By comparison the Boss was meh at best. No character, no features.

After years of searching I found another Nobles TRX. TBH I actually prefer it over the Tremolo that's in my Twin Reverb.

I have occasionally used the Nobles with the intensity turned pretty much off just as a Pre-amp for warmer tones.

They haven't been made for a long time but if you find one I suggest giving it a shot. They're not super expensive.

One nice feature on this pedal is you can use a remote switch so you can leave the pedal on your amp to adjust but still turn it on/off by foot.

9. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

I have a Supa-Trem Jr, and it's a great pedal, but I love the silent switch on the Boss, so that's the one that's usually plugged in. I like to step on it as the final notes of a song are drifting off.

Please don't make me spend another $20!

Maguchi likes this.
  10. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

20200226_113003.jpg

RJ

Recalcitrant and pugnax like this.
  11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

This.

upload_2021-6-12_16-48-32.png

Kozmyk, SebC, pugnax and 1 other person like this.
  12. Rusty Spanner

Rusty Spanner Tele-Meister

If it helps, I traded a couple of other pedals in for one of these recently.

Yes, it was a bit pricey, but I didn't have reverb on my new Orange amp and my ancient Behringer Trem pedal (20+ years old) had packed in.

It sounds delightful.

Cost £189, the most expensive pedal I have ever bought, but it does two jobs and it should see me out.

Very impressed by the build, the design and the versatility.

Not a serial pedal swapper, so I buy things to keep, and I know I'll be keeping this.

Edgebound, Hoodster and Telecaster88 like this.
  13. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Holic

That's really what sealed the deal for me. Hell, if I hadn't liked it, I was out of pocket less than a case of Budweiser!
    I'm a retired electrical engineer, used to make some of my own effects. A tremolo is a very simple circuit, no reason at all for the cost of some of them. This one has no volume loss, and can do any type of waveform you want.
    ONLY downside (if you want to call it that) is the unconventional way to load the battery. I had to find a YouTube video to get me going, but now I know, and it isn't necessarily a bad configuration, I just never expected to find the battery there. I suppose it is easier if you had it on a pedalboard to change the battery from the top, but then if you had it on a pedalboard, you probably would not need a battery:).

You guys probably already knew, but in case you didn't, this is how you do it...

Maguchi and Telecaster88 like this.
  14. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

This^^^. About to order one myself after hearing one. Nice and lush, no helicopter choppiness. I have had a TR-2 and an BBE Tremor and didnt care for either. Never was a fan of the opto trems. Just my .02 worth.

15. Old Plank

Old Plank Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

This winter I picked up an MXR Tremolo, of which I'd seen a great review in GP (I think it's a recent model), it's got 6 tremolo modes, stereo out capability and what I was especially looking for, the compact MXR size. It sounds great and works easily and well, although I can't hear much real difference between a few of the modes. I'm totally happy with it for the all-compact pedals board, but otherwise I would still pick the big bold rich sound of the EHX Stereo Pulsar over the MXR if I could only have one of them. And, it's $65+ US less in price.

northernguitar likes this.
  16. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

Wow! You have the exact same amps that I use (Fender PRRI & Peavey Bandit (65)). I love the Fender PRRI tremelo! It's deep, swampy and rich. The Peavey Bandit is a great, bulletproof, solid state pedal platform for playing live. When I'm not using the PRRI, I plug in a Boss TR-2 Tremelo pedal that is modified by Analogman. Really nice sound, good versatile controls, quiet and works even if you drop it or leave it in the car in 120 degree heat. This pedal is still available today in both stock ($100) and modified ($145) versions (see links below).

https://www.boss.info/us/products/tr-2/
    https://www.buyanalogman.com/Boss_TR_2_Super_p/am-boss-tr-2-super.htm

Boss TR-2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    studio1087 likes this.
  17. Bella

Bella Tele-Meister

I've tried some Boss TR-2 clones but the noise floor was too much (there is a percieved aspect of that with trems due to the nature of the effect but what I experienced was just a but too much).

After much research I ended up with the Keeley Verb O Trem (the standard version, not the bigger expanded unit). It offers 3 modes and includes 2 kinds of reverb.

The reverb mode (plate or spring) has to be changed under the hood though via PCB switch. You can also set the tone to be vintage or modern (rolled off vs brighter) from the PCB as well. The reverb is ok. It's not great, but it's all right. I find it works best at a lower setting/smaller room size. Increasing the reverb too much tends to brighten the sound in a way I don't find pleasing, but I only use the reverb with one of my amps that doesn't have built-in verb.

If there was one thing I'd like to have implemented, it would be a dedicated switch to shut the reverb on or off. You can dial the reverb off via the reverb control (or turn the trem off via the depth knob), but for practical purposes, a switch would be better.

I really like the trem modes in this thing. It does carry some inherent noise, but it's a much smaller footprint than pedals I've tried in the past and It's quieter in the loop than in front of the amp, especially at unity.

18. surf_jimi

surf_jimi Tele-Meister

I started off with a Fulltone Supa Trem (version 1) about 20 years ago but it had a volume drop and it took up a lot of space. I sold it and got a Keeley modified TR-2 which has a separate volume control so you can set the level higher and get a boost when you activate it. Had it ever since. 0C62A6CC-3BEE-4652-A6C3-CA8B90FBB4A8.jpeg

Maguchi likes this.
  19. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Empress

20. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire

I have the Supa-Trem Jr too. It is a very good effect pedal. I purchased it off the Fulltone cosmetic blem page...great price, no blem I can see. I have a Danelectro Filthy Rich on my other board—also a good pedal...simpler/less features than the Fulltones.

jays0n and Telecaster88 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.