1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Trem King vs Stetsbar

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by noahncopeland, Jan 23, 2021.

1. noahncopeland

noahncopeland TDPRI Member

Hi!

I’ve looking to speak to people that have owned a Stetsbar and/or Trem King.

I’m going to install a trem on my telecaster but I’d like some first-hand accounts to help me pick. So please share your experiences to help a brother out! ;)

Here are things that are NOT a factor for me:
    1. I do NOT care how hard it is to install. I will NOT be doing it myself. I will spend as much money possible to have a professional do it, and do it right.

2. I do NOT care how much wood will/won’t need to be chopped out of my guitar. I’m concerned with the functionality of the trem. I understand that Stetsbar requires no drilling, whereas Tremking does, but as long as the trem functions as it should, none of that concerns me. (Heck, I wouldn’t mind if my guitar was a little lighter anyway lol).

3. I do NOT care about the looks. Both look fine to me.

Here are the factors I am curious about:

1. Do the other strings stay in tune if you break a string?

2. Do the other strings stay in tune if you bend strings? (double-stop, pedal-steel type licks)

3. Can you go to drop D without having to retune the other strings?

4. Did installing it reduce sustain? How much?

5. How much longer, if it all, does it take to restring and tune compared to a standard bridge?

6. Is there any maintenance to keep it functioning?

7. Are you able to adjust the range of the trem or set it to dive only?

8. Do you find yourself breaking strings more often?

9. How “invisible” is the trem? In other words, if I took out the arm and pretended the trem wasn’t there, in what ways would I still feel its presence?

10. In other inconveniences/disadvantages you think are worth mentioning?

I've seem the answers to some of these questions via google, but I wanna hear YOUR experience. Not everyone has the same experience!

thank ye, thank ye

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Both work beautifully.
    I sold Tradition guitars with Trem Kings, and I’ve installed two Stetsbars on other’s guitars.
    My “sqwawk” with them is the soft/easy feel of the bar.
    I prefer more tension, personally.
    They both look a little weird, too.
    Truly brilliant engineering and designing.

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Bigsby. With Vibramate if you are not sure you’ll like a Trem on a Tele.

brookdalebill likes this.
  4. noahncopeland

I've used a Bigsby and was shocked by how much I did not like it. No range, and did not stay in tune worth a flip.

micpoc likes this.
  5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Better find another tech then. Whoever did your Bigsby had no idea how to set it up.

@brookdalebill will know, having used/installed all three. But my hunch is the other two you are looking at have no more functional range than a Bigsby.

You need a Kahler or Floyd to get more range IME.

brookdalebill likes this.
  6. noahncopeland

No experience with Kahler, but I'm absolutely not interested in Floyd either for the aforementioned reasons (double-stop licks, losing tuning when breaking strings, and drop D). It's fine for 80's stuff on my super-strat but I'm not looking for that right now. And no, I don't wanna hear about a Treml-No either. :D

I'm simply not interested in the old standbys like Bigsby or Floyd, hence why this post is comparing some, shall we say, "non-standard" trems. I'm looking for something outside the well-worn box. And yeah, both are capable of more range Bigbsy, going by several demos on YouTube, (though maybe not by much). Also, I find the Bigbsy ugly. I know I said I don't care about looks earlier, but Bigbsy is where I draw the line. Others may think it looks cool and vintage because of old photos of their favorite old guitar players, but I'm not one of those people.

I'm looking for people with personal experience with either a Stetsbar or Trem King.

7. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Wiggle sticks of any sort are not simply "bolt-on" items. They require some very specific, yet fairly simple setup, care and feeding procedures to achieve good tuning stability. I'm a huge fan of the standard Fender trems, especially the two post models. My three Strats and Triple Tele all have Fender trems and have greater tuning stability than any of my fixed bridge Les Pauls and Teles! Of course the Fender units require routing of the body, as does the Trem King!
    Just My $.02,
    Gene

Fretting out and DougM like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.