Trem block for 90s MIM strat?

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
My 90s MIM strat has a particular issue, wondering how others have solved it.

I had snapped an arm off in the chintzy small zinc block, so I decided to just buy another block. But I bought the American slanted block (with the smaller import bridge spacing) to get the same amount of down travel.

The problem I’m having is that the MIM cavity is really radiused, instead of squared off like a standard strat trem, and the block is a bit wider than the original. So I can’t deck the bridge - the corner stops the block from moving forward any further on the low side:

B7FA26F5-CE8D-4873-9D80-2D18E5EBD285.jpeg

I’m assuming the larger (though still narrow) MIM block after the small one (circa early 00s) does not have this problem? Does it allow for the strings to go slack-ish before hitting the back of the route? Not looking to do shred stuff, just some Hendrix style things.

I was wondering if anyone’s run into this before and can suggest a better fender part (with number), or a better aftermarket trem altogether (blade type, like the super vee or vega and others).

Thanks.

Matthias

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Check your measurements but I think the Fender replacement Highway One narrow block may fit. Last time I got one of them it wasn’t the Ping Chinese-made part but US-made, machined steel. YMMV—it was a few years ago. That fit in a MiM blacktop. Of course, there are cheaper but quality brands available. Take care that the edges are rounded enough… The HW1 block is rounded.

P/N was 0073943000. There might still be some around.

Last edited:

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
Check your measurements but I think the Fender replacement Highway One narrow block may fit. Last time I got one of them it wasn’t the Ping Chinese-made part but US-made, machined steel. YMMV—it was a few years ago. That fit in a MiM blacktop. Of course, there are cheaper but quality brands available. Take care that the edges are rounded enough… The HW1 block is rounded.

P/N was 0073943000. There might still be some around.

cool, thanks. i can take some measurements and give it a shot. actually led me to angelainstruments (had forgotten about them) and they also have a MIM block where the low side is sort of flattened off, i think that one might do the trick as well (just remembered i may actually have one in a parts bin too).

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I ran into that recently in my lightweight build. I intended to not use the trem much at all but put one in to deck as I think the system may have something to do with great sustain. I used a cheap small trem block I had laying around, it decks fine but interferes if trying to use the trem!
I have a couple blocks around, if you can describe exactly what to look for and screw spacing I can check.